Thanks

Opening the Xbox 360 and Flashing LT+ (Concept 1)

This is the first of a series of very extensive tutorials I'll be writing up throughout this week, and will provide updates to as these modifications adapt and evolve. This thread will focus mainly on the opening of the Xbox 360 console (1st generation), and briefly look upon the basics of flashing your drive. As confusing as this may seem, it's a simple process. With the necessities all set out, you can knock this out in a good 10-15 minutes, and spend the rest of your time downloading and playing your games.

I must warn you:
    Opening your Xbox 360 console VOIDS ALL WARRANTIES. Modifying the contents of your console is against the Microsoft Terms of Use. You can and will be banned if caught. Proceed at your own risk. MPGH, I (Killian), and its affiliates are in no way responsible for any damage to you or your property, be it physically, financially, or mentally.

Now that we're done with the pleasantries, let us continue.

You will need:
    • Xbox 360 Console (duh)
    • PC motherboard with available SATA port and appropriate cable
    • Torx 10 screwdriver
    • Paperclip or thinner tool reach into the side grates
    • For Hitachi, you will need a blank CD-R disc.

The firmware and software required is posted in the Download's section. I'm the threadstarter, and its stickied. Shouldn't be hard to find. If any links are outdated, PM/VM me, and I'll be glad to update them.

Opening the Console

1.) Pop off the faceplate. Thats the covering of the disc tray, USB controller ports, and where the power button is located.

Looking at the area indicated, you can quickly determine the drive of your console. Rule of thumb goes as follows:
    White/gray cables - BenQ.
    Red/black cables - Samsung.
    Yellow - LiteOn.
    None/Blocked - Hitachi.

2.) Now that you've managed to pull the faceplate off, you'll need to get the side grates off if you're planning on going further. Underneath the holed top/bottom of the console, you can see tiny clips holding the gray sides on. Reaching through with your paperclip, simply push, and you'll hear a click. Bravo, you've got that side off.

3.) Next step can be tricky, as in my case, I had to keep pressure on the top and bottom, pulling them apart all the while, else the clips will pop back in place. In the image below, on the spots indicated, slip the paperclip through the gap and release each clip. All you need is a little bit of pressure, and presto, you've achieved success!

4.) You've got the back unhooked, now for the front, as there are still some remaining clips there. Fortunately for you, they're not hidden. Simple ones. Careful though, I managed to cut under my finger reaching under these things.

5.) Congratulations! You're almost there! Now here's where we'll need the Torx 10 screwdriver. There's only 5, as indicated below, and they are some long screws. Careful when taking them out, you don't want to accidentally grind them against the insides of the console.

You're done with opening the console! Keep the drive's power source intact coming from the xbox, with your SATA cable running from your computer's SATA port to it. You will have to keep the console plugged in, with any A/V cable plugged in also, else it won't boot when needed.

Flashing your console is different for each brand, where the differences mainly conflict is with Hitachi and LiteOn compared to the 'easy' drives: BenQ and Samsung.

This is the end of Concept 1. If you're wanting the follow up, stay tuned, and they'll be finished soon.

Thanks, and happy modding!
    Last edited by Killian; 03-19-2011 at 08:43 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Killian For This Useful Post:

Ed (03-19-2011),raphaterz (03-20-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love
    How easy would you say this is to screw up?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Key View Post
    How easy would you say this is to screw up?
    You'll only damage it if you don't follow the tutorial word-for-word. I try to make it as detailed as possible, but if you run into any speed bumps, let me know, I'll help as much as I can.

When it comes down to the PC JungleFlasher part, I'll be able to help over TeamViewer.

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Killian View Post

You'll only damage it if you don't follow the tutorial word-for-word. I try to make it as detailed as possible, but if you run into any speed bumps, let me know, I'll help as much as I can.

When it comes down to the PC JungleFlasher part, I'll be able to help over TeamViewer.
    awesome
    does this work with red reinged xboxes?

Thanks

awesome
    does this work with red reinged xboxes?
    If it has the 3-light RROD E-74, then no. In other words, 3 rings = no good.

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love
    I know a temp fix for the RROD But would that affect the xbox if i flahsed it?
    Last edited by Ed; 03-19-2011 at 11:08 PM.

Thanks
    I know a temp fix for the RROD But would that affect the xbox if i flahsed it?
    Flashing it won't affect any RROD.

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love

Flashing it won't affect any RROD.
    would the flashed xbox only have red ring or will there be other effects?

Thanks
    Uhm, lets put it this way:
    You can flash any console with or without the RROD. Flashing it only modifies the disc drive, and nothing else.

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love
    Uhm, lets put it this way:
    You can flash any console with or without the RROD. Flashing it only modifies the disc drive, and nothing else.
    ahh awesome cause im buying a rrod xbox hopefully for around 2NZD which will be like 1USD

Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired
    Wow, good way to come back

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Diminished For This Useful Post:

[MPGH]Killian (03-21-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love
    @Killian
    I'm having trouble removing the grey bit under the hard drive
    any suggestions?

Also i saw yellow cables coming from my drive
    Last edited by Ed; 04-30-2011 at 06:40 PM.