Thanks

Flashing LT+ to BenQ (Concept 2.5)

Killian's Concept Series 2.5
    Flashing BenQ VAD6038 (62430c and 64930c)

Welcome to my 3rd installment of my Concept Series, being the second half to 2. I had originally set out to complete both the Samsung and BenQ in the same tutorial, but realized cramming all that information in 1 single thread would be a mass of confusion; it would be simpler for me to describe the process in a whole different thread, focusing mainly on the drives above.

The process we will follow is VERY similar to that of the Samsung drives. Almost exact. Before beginning, make sure you've read through Concept 1, and understand the basic ideas of flashing. If you're confident enough, lets continue.

Unlocking the Drive

WARNING: If you already have iXtreme 1.5 - 1.61 firmware installed, you cannot use this method. I will describe the unlocking method in a different thread.

Connect your BenQ drive up via SATA to your PC, power on, and run JungleFlasher. After a few seconds, you will be taken to the main application.
    Click the MTKFlash32 tab.

Then, select correct I/O Port by verifying PBDS VAD6038 or SATA DVD-ROM shows in the Drive Properties and click BenQ UnLock.

JungleFlasher will send the Magic Keys to unlock the drive and should return this message in the Running Log. JungleFlasher has also sent the Intro command to the drive.

The drive should be in Vendor Mode (0x73) now and return good flash chip properties, you can check in the Running Log, Drive Properties or Flash Chip Properties.

We're done putting the BenQ into Vendor Mode, so we can continue onto reading the drive.

Reading the Drive

Now, we would like to read the firmware from the drive first, so select read.

Check the Running Log and you will see it reading the firmware from the drive.

Once the firmware has been read JungleFlasher will prompt you to save the firmware. Name it what you wish and select directory path of your choice and click Save. I highly recommend you do this.

Once saved, JungleFlasher will then prompt you asking if you would like to auto-load iXtreme for BenQ Drives. You must have installed the JungleFlasher Firmware Pack into the same directory as JungleFlasher.exe if you wish to benefit from this feature.

Click Yes to auto load iXtreme (from the firmware pack) for BenQ into the Target Buffer, JungleFlasher will also load your previously dumped BenQ-OFW.bin as Source Firmware. Then, copy data from Source to Target automatically.
    Just verify Source data reports as it should, OSIG of VAD 6038 or SATA DVDROM with a keywith no multiple FF/00/77 bytes.
    Now, verify unique Source Data matches that in Target Buffer and click save to file if you wish to backup your Hacked firmware.

You can now save the Target Buffer to file by clicking Save to File.

We're done with this step! Now to finish up...

Writing custom firmware to the drive

To write the firmware, as long as drive is still unlocked (Vendor Mode) we just click MTKFlash 32 tab. Verify you have good flash chip properties still.

Then click Write.

Write Command, will send Chip Erase prior to writing and then proceed to write the 4 banks of the firmware (banks 0/1/2/3). A series of 16 …..’s is JungleFlasher writing the 16 sectors of each bank (4 banks, 0/1/2/3).

After writing all 64 sectors, signaled by 64 dots (16 dots across 4 banks) JungleFlasher will verify what it wrote by reading back and comparing against the Target Buffer, what we really want to see is Write Verified OK!

Now send an outro to the drive.

This will release a drive from Vendor Mode and send ATA Reset to the Drive. It then sends an inquiry command to the drive.
    This will save you power cycling the drive and then changing port away and change it back again, with the click of a button, drive will ‘reset’ itself and JungleFlasher will send an inquiry command to the drive. If successfully flashed the drive should Inquire correctly and display drive properties.

Congrats! Reassemble your console and play!

Special thanks to Team Jungle for their extensive work in Jungle Flasher, and for providing some images for me.

NOTE:

If your BenQ drive is already flashed with 1.5 - 1.61 and you wish to upgrade to LT+, you should not have done this method. Instead, view Concept 2.6, which will be posted fairly soon.
    Last edited by Killian; 03-20-2011 at 06:48 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Killian For This Useful Post:

raphaterz (03-21-2011),Zen (03-20-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    great tut, except the photos arent loading.
    [IMG]https://i15.photobucke*****m/albums/a359/FISHFROMLC2/ZenSig2.png[/IMG]

Thanks
    I think it's my image host....
    Re-uploading to a different site...

/fixed
    Last edited by Killian; 03-20-2011 at 06:49 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Killian For This Useful Post:

Ed (03-20-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    then it is perfect! goodjob killian
    [IMG]https://i15.photobucke*****m/albums/a359/FISHFROMLC2/ZenSig2.png[/IMG]