Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheerful

Ocean Radation Levels

https://www****c.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12869184

Levels of radioactive iodine in the sea near the tsunami-stricken Fukushima nuclear plant are 1,250 times higher than the safety limit, officials say.

Levels of radioactive iodine in the sea near the tsunami-stricken Fukushima nuclear plant are 1,250 times higher than the safety limit, officials say.

The readings were taken about 300m (984ft) offshore. It is feared the radiation could be seeping into groundwater from one of the reactors.

But the radiation will no longer be a risk after eight days, officials say.

There are areas of radioactive water in four of the reactors at the plant, and two workers are in hospital.

The plant's operator says the core of one of the six reactors may have been damaged.

It has announced that fresh water rather than seawater will now be used to cool the damaged reactors, in the hope that this will be more effective.

Prime Minister Naoto Kan said the situation was "very unpredictable".

The official death toll from the 11 March earthquake and tsunami has passed 10,000, and more than 17,440 people are missing.

Hundreds of thousands of people have been made homeless; an estimated 250,000 people are living in emergency shelters. Food, water and fuel are in short supply.

The Japanese government has put the rebuilding cost at $309bn (£191.8bn).

Safety measures

The levels of radiation found in the sea near the plant were more than eight times higher than those found in the same area last week, the Japanese officials said.

A spokesman for Japan's Nuclear Safety Agency said the radioactivity level in the sea off the nuclear plant was "relatively high" but the impact on marine life would be minor.

"Generally speaking," spokesman Hidehiko Nishiyama told a news conference, "radioactive material released into the sea will spread due to tides, so you need much more for seaweed and sea life to absorb it."

He continued: "And, since [the iodine] has a half-life of eight days, by the time people eat the sea products its amount is likely to have diminished significantly."

The contamination probably came from both airborne radiation released from the reactors or tainted water that spilled into the sea, Mr Nishiyama said.

In a televised address on Friday, Prime Minister Kan said: "The current situation is still very unpredictable. We're working to stop the situation from worsening. We need to continue to be extremely vigilant."

He also thanked the workers, firefighters and Self-Defence Forces for "risking their lives" to try to cool the reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi plant.

Japan's chief cabinet secretary Yukio Edano has said a rigorous inquiry is under way to establish the cause of a leak at the plant, after tests showed water in the turbine halls of reactors 1 and 3 had radiation levels 10,000 times higher than normal.

Japan's Nuclear Safety Agency has reiterated its position that it believes the reactor may have been damaged but it is going no further than that, says the BBC's Mark Worthington in Tokyo.

The agency has denied any suggestion that the reactor core may have cracked, Kyodo news agency reports.

The two affected workers, who remain in hospital, had reportedly not been wearing the correct protective boots and had ignored a radiation alarm at the plant.

Food fears

A revision of safety measures has been ordered.

The government has asked people still living within 20-30km (12-18 miles) of the nuclear facility to leave voluntarily. Until now, residents in the zone had been advised to stay indoors.

Japan has banned shipments of foodstuffs grown in several prefectures around the damaged nuclear plant.

People in Fukushima prefecture have been told not to eat 11 types of green leafy vegetables because of contamination worries.

Importers of Japanese products are finding low levels of radiation in some food stuffs, however the amounts found do not pose a health hazard.

China, Singapore, Hong Kong, and other Asian importers have already placed bans on some imports of vegetables, seafood and milk products.

Australia, the European Union, the United States and Russia have followed suit.

The Fukushima plant is 250km north-east of the capital, Tokyo.

Radioactive iodine was detected in Tokyo's water supply earlier this week. Levels have since fallen, but remain high in other areas of northern Japan.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy
    ohgawd...

That sucks O.O

A little tl;dr

But I get the point
    (┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻
    ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Quote Originally Posted by KingDot
    Flame bait and instigate

Thanks
    We're gonna eat mutant fish from now on?

[X]
    Crossfire minion since 06-12-2011
    Minecraft minion since 06-20-2011
    Moderator since 08-17-2011
    Global Moderator since 09-10-2011
    Super User since 08-27-2012
    [X] [X] [X]

Thanks
    i wanna catch a mutant fish and get famous

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy
    Quote Originally Posted by Creeper View Post
    We're gonna eat mutant fish from now on?
    Same thing I was thinking O.o

We don't be able to eat aquatic stuff now.
    (┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻
    ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Flame bait and instigate

Thanks
    R.I.P. Hawaii

Thanks
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Quote Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
    i wanna catch a mutant fish and get famous
    Their are probably about to be some wicked looking fish-lings swimming around - also, that's fucked up...

Thanks
    Godzilla will be born!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Goofy
    wow that sucks.. and when you thought Japan was over with disasters.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Godzilla will be born!

What does that have to do w/ anything =.="
    (┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻
    ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Flame bait and instigate

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    1200 times sounds bad, but it isn't. Trust me, media is blowing stuff up

Thanks
    I heard the 3 workers got radiation burns. It was apparently 10,000 times the normal level of radiation.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Quote Originally Posted by Coeus View Post
    1200 times sounds bad, but it isn't. Trust me, media is blowing stuff up
    That's what they always do. The radiation is being blown up too. Not as bad as they make it out to sound. Their trying to make a quick buck

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Being continually exposed to that much radiation, over any period of time, will kill you. Simple as that.

Unsafe radiation levels have been found in the ground, water, air, and food all over Japan. There may not be too many immediate effects at the moment, but it's going to get worse over time.

I have no doubts that the next generation of citizens in Japan are going to be born with an incredible level of defects, both physical and mental. The current generation will probably die mostly of cancers.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    Fish with legs.
    [IMG]https://i157.photobucke*****m/albums/t54/murckleman/nub1.jpg[/IMG]

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast