Thread: PS3 Questions!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Lightbulb PS3 Questions!!

I have been a PC gamer for years now and now I'm thinking of maybe buying a PS3 since most of my friends have it. I have absolutly NO EXPERIENCE AT ALL about the PS3!!! So I have hundreds of questions. It would be great if people could answer at least one of the questions.
    I will number the questions, try to answer at least one question and put the question # so I know what question ur answering.

PLEASE DON'T HAVE A DISCUSSION ABOUT XBOX 360 VS PS3!!!

1) Is buying PS3 worth it? Why?
    2) Can you play EVERY PS3 game on the PS3?
    3) Is there any LAG in PS3?
    4) Do you need a strong internet connection to play on PS3?
    5) Do you REQUIRE to buy PlayStation network card in order to play games?
    6) What are the benefits of jailbreak PS3?
    7) What are the different options of buying PS3? GB? Slim/fat? etc?
    8) What's the different between 160GB and 320GB PS3? Which is better?
    9) How much space does an average game take up? BF3? MW3? Skyrim?
    10) What's the best location or site to buy PS3?
    11) Should I buy pre-owned, used, or refublished PS3? Why?
    12) What's the cheapest PS3? most expensive?
    13) Should I buy PS3 with a bundle? What's the best bundle?
    14) What's the first game I should buy for the PS3?
    15) Can PS3 play PS1 and PS2 games?
    16) What other things can you do with the PS3 insted of playing video games?
    17) Can you unistall video games? Will it help you lose some GB?
    18) Can you pirate games? How do you do that?
    19) How can you play games for free?
    20) What's the best place to buy video games and trade in stuff? Gamestop? etc? How does it work?

Here is an example of how you can answer one of these questions:

2) Yes, you can play every single PS3 game on the PS3.
    Thank you all for answering my questions =) I will add more questions if I have anymore.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Innocent
    1) Not my decision to say, people have their own opinions.
    2) If it's made for the ps3 then you can play it, ps3 games are region free.
    3) Game lag? No. All games have been manufactured to play smoothly at a minimum of 60fps.
    4) Not to play online, but you are going to want to download updates for games and system software which may be big in size.
    5) No, you only need playstation network card to buy addons and dlc, and even so you can still use your credit card.
    6) Can't answer that one.
    7) They are pretty much the same except size wise, and the slim ps3 has only 2 usb ports where the fat one has 4 usb ports and a memory card reader, fat is only sold in 60gb model these days and its hard to find. The OLD fat ones which were the first ones made could play ps2 games as well, but they are no longer manufactured, but if you can find one they are no different in terms of what plays games better.
    8) Depends on what your going to use the space for, 160gb is enough.
    9) Only a few mb because the games are not saved to the hard drive, they are saved on disc, only your save games and dlc is saved on the hard drive.
    10) Your local game retailer.
    11) Either one, they don't tend to break down that often and are usually repairable.
    12) Cheapest will be the one with less size (in gb) most expensive would be the one with most GB of storage space. The features do not differ.
    13) Bundles vary from country to country so idk.
    14) What kind of games do you like?
    15) As i mentioned, only the OLD fat ps3 (the first 60gb model) that came out can play ps2 games. The rest cant and the ps3 has never been able to play ps1 games.
    16) Load your photos, play music, watch tv, use it as a bluray or dvd player to watch movies, heaps of things.
    17) Games are not installed onto the ps3 so 'uninstalling' will have no validity.
    18) You probably can but you need a jailbroken ps3, and since ps3 uses bluray disc its going to be hard.
    19) See above.
    20) No idea since your in a diff country than me, check your local video game retailer.

^ Hope i helped, thank me if i did and if you have any other questions just ask me.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Xipher For This Useful Post:

Delko DJ (05-28-2012),Diminished (05-27-2012),TopSeller (05-27-2012)

Thanks
    @Xipher
    First of all, +Thanks +1 rep. Thank you very much for answering all of these questions.
    Please expand a little bit in #5. what are addons and dlc?
    Please also expand on jailbreaking. What are some downsides for it? Do you get banned? Any hopeful videos/links for jailbreaking PS3 free?
    Most PS3 games cost $40-$60 such as MW3 and I can't pay for these games? What's a good way to get those for free?
    When I play a game, do I need to "install" it? Then what do I use the GB for? How does my space decrease?

Again, thank you very much for answering my questions, very helpful =)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Innocent
    Quote Originally Posted by TopSeller View Post
    @Xipher
    First of all, +Thanks +1 rep. Thank you very much for answering all of these questions.
    Please expand a little bit in #5. what are addons and dlc?
    Please also expand on jailbreaking. What are some downsides for it? Do you get banned? Any hopeful videos/links for jailbreaking PS3 free?
    Most PS3 games cost $40-$60 such as MW3 and I can't pay for these games? What's a good way to get those for free?
    When I play a game, do I need to "install" it? Then what do I use the GB for? How does my space decrease?

Again, thank you very much for answering my questions, very helpful =)
    Okay, no worries and thanks for the rep and thanks.

DLC = Downloadable content, it means the same as addons. They are basically 'packs' you can buy for certain games. For example, Battlefield 3 has Downloadable content that you can BUY that gives you extra maps and guns, some other games have Downloadable content that give you extra characters, clothes etc, inside a game. DLC is usually not free, and the price varies with different games, some games may have no DLC at all, and it usually does not affect your gameplay if you do not buy it.

I do not know very much about jailbreaking ps3's as i have not done it, but i know there is custom software you can load onto your ps3 that will allow you to play cracked games. You usually get these cracked games by downloading them off the internet. And i'm pretty sure you need to do some kind of physical mod to your ps3 (eg editing your motherboard) before you can jailbreak it.

You may get banned for jailbreaking if you are caught out by psn, however i don't know much about the subject.

Most PS3 Games do cost a lot of money, and the only way to get the game for free is by looking more into jailbreaking/modding your ps3. There is no legal way to do this and copied games will fail to play if placed on your ps3.

If you do decide to jailbreak, then your jailbroken games will need to be stored on the hard drive, games are usually 7-12gb.

When you play a normal game (eg something you purchased from the shop and it comes with a disc) you do not need to install it, all the game data is retained on the disc, the only thing a game will install on your Ps3 is SAVE GAME data, eg all your saves.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    some of the stuff that @Xipher isnt true

1) Is buying PS3 worth it? Why? = yes, free internet and wont break as easy as an xbox for example
    2) Can you play EVERY PS3 game on the PS3? every game made for ps3? yes, theyre made for ps3
    3) Is there any LAG in PS3? depends on your connection and the host (if playing online) i live in new zealand that has the worst internet connection in the world my i dont lag... only if the host lives in america, thats when i get a 1-2 bar connection
    4) Do you need a strong internet connection to play on PS3? check number 3
    5) Do you REQUIRE to buy PlayStation network card in order to play games? PSN card can be used to buy downloadable content from the PS store
    6) What are the benefits of jailbreak PS3? not sure, had no experience
    7) What are the different options of buying PS3? GB? Slim/fat? etc? you can get black, white and red PS3's (all slim, dont selll phat now unless you go on a trading site ) you can buy 160gb and 320gb
    8) What's the different between 160GB and 320GB PS3? Which is better? more room. like @Xipher said above... 160gb will be plenty. I have the old phat 80gb ps3 and have had it since 08 i think, only now, we're runnin out of room
    9) How much space does an average game take up? BF3? MW3? Skyrim? depends what game, mw3 only takes about 50mb max whereas a game like gran turismo... thats about 3gb
    10) What's the best location or site to buy PS3? gamestop? i dont live in teh states so idk
    11) Should I buy pre-owned, used, or refublished PS3? Why? buy new because the seller could be lying
    12) What's the cheapest PS3? most expensive? depends what you want, a straight black slim 160gb would be your cheapest option but if you want to get something a bit more "fancy" like a red slim 320gb? that'll be your most expensive
    13) Should I buy PS3 with a bundle? What's the best bundle? usually bundles are pretty cheap (sometimes) and also get a bundle with a game you'd want
    14) What's the first game I should buy for the PS3? depends what you like
    15) Can PS3 play PS1 and PS2 games? again what was said above, the old phat 60gb could play ps1 and ps2 games BUT every other ps3 can play ps1 games. if you want you can buy PS1 games on the playstation store but only have a limited amount but they do have the classics such as crash bandicoot
    16) What other things can you do with the PS3 insted of playing video games? playstation home, internet, netflix, bluray movies, music, photos etc oh and the ps3 is not just a bluray player, it can also play dvd's as well
    17) Can you unistall video games? Will it help you lose some GB? if you mean by deleting game data? then yes you can
    18) Can you pirate games? How do you do that? not sure, again, had no experiance
    19) How can you play games for free? see question above...
    20) What's the best place to buy video games and trade in stuff? Gamestop? etc? How does it work? see question above...

@TopSeller
    Last edited by Tall kiwi; 05-27-2012 at 05:43 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tall kiwi For This Useful Post:

Delko DJ (05-28-2012),TopSeller (05-27-2012)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Innocent
    Please elaborate to what i said that isn't true.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Quote Originally Posted by Xipher View Post
    Please elaborate to what i said that isn't true.
    that the ps3 has never been able to play ps1 games

Thanks
    My Mood
    Innocent
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall kiwi View Post

that the ps3 has never been able to play ps1 games
    Right, so they can.
    Last edited by Xipher; 05-27-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired
    1) Is buying PS3 worth it? Why? Yes. It not only a gaming system, its also a entertainment system.
    2) Can you play EVERY PS3 game on the PS3? Yes
    3) Is there any LAG in PS3? Not that I know of. Unless its online, sometimes.
    4) Do you need a strong internet connection to play on PS3? Depends
    5) Do you REQUIRE to buy PlayStation network card in order to play games? No
    6) What are the benefits of jailbreak PS3?
    7) What are the different options of buying PS3? GB? Slim/fat? etc? Not really difference other than the ports a hard drive
    8) What's the different between 160GB and 320GB PS3? Which is better? 320, for my space
    9) How much space does an average game take up? BF3? MW3? Skyrim? Not sure but you don't need to worry about anything like that. Only thing that will be used for space is games downloaded onto the system, updates, and other things in that nature
    10) What's the best location or site to buy PS3? Gamestop, walmart, ect
    11) Should I buy pre-owned, used, or refublished PS3? Why? New. Its like a computer, theres stuff on it that you don't want and it just runs lil smoother.
    12) What's the cheapest PS3? most expensive? Less GB are cheaper.
    13) Should I buy PS3 with a bundle? What's the best bundle?
    14) What's the first game I should buy for the PS3? Call of Duty, Skyrim, Battlefield, homefront,
    15) Can PS3 play PS1 and PS2 games? Only one of the ps3 versions can play the older console games.
    16) What other things can you do with the PS3 instead of playing video games? Listen to music, Playstation network, netflix, movies
    17) Can you unistall video games? Will it help you lose some GB? Yes
    18) Can you pirate games? How do you do that? Not sure
    19) How can you play games for free? Demos or file share
    20) What's the best place to buy video games and trade in stuff? Gamestop? etc? How does it work? Theres not really any trading, except gameshare, which is basically going to another player download history to download. To buy stuff, playstation store

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DawgiiStylz For This Useful Post:

TopSeller (05-27-2012)

Thanks
    @xiphe @Tall kiwi @Dawgy Dawg
    Thank you all for answering my questions, just some few more important questions.
    1) Is there many hackers in PS3? About what % u think?
    2) Is jailbreaking PS3 popular? Do most people do it?
    3) If I go and buy PS3 tonight, what firmware/version is the latest?
    4) Are there any Free2Play games that come WITH the PS3? What else does the PS3 come up with?
    5) Is there a place/site where you can rent PS3 games and return these? (EX: GameFly, Netflix) What others in USA?

Basically only problem is I don't want to spend $40-$60 on a game, then I don't like it. I want to be able to rent games and tryout tons of games since I can play a game for 2-5 days and then get bored.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Simply ask urself this.

"do i wanna pay for games like a loser ****** geek. lol. or be normal and game free.

Thanks
    @Obscene What?
    I completly don't understand you post at all. I think you just spamming.
    You didn't answer any of my questions or helped at anything and I have no idea what do you mean. IF your trying to help me, then please explain and add more to you answer, thank you!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired
    1) Is there many hackers in PS3? About what % u think? Not many since there is no CFW, which is custom firmware, that allows you to change the settings and add some tweaks.
    2) Is jailbreaking PS3 popular? Do most people do it? I'm not really sure, but no,, not a lot of people do it, since it disables you to connect to PSN
    3) If I go and buy PS3 tonight, what firmware/version is the latest? I think 4.11, check for updates @https://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/index.htm
    4) Are there any Free2Play games that come WITH the PS3? What else does the PS3 come up with? No, unless you get it with a bundle. There are many demos online that are pretty fun such as FIFA 12 or any other sports games. PS3 also comes with Netflix, which requires membership, it has its own browser, but its shit. There's also Playstation Home, you can meet other PS3 players, it's like a PS3 social network.
    5) Is there a place/site where you can rent PS3 games and return these? (EX: GameFly, Netflix) What others in USA? Currently, in Canada, Blockbuster closed down due to slow business, idk about Autralia, but just google "Australia game rent" and you'll surely find something

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

@Obscene
    so you call everyone who buys games a geek? You can't get free games for PS3 unless you jailbreak it, and that has its own disadvantages. Also, some games require a cd-key to play online
    Last edited by Diminished; 05-27-2012 at 08:30 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Diminished For This Useful Post:

TopSeller (05-27-2012)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    I'm surprised no one mentioned me anywho @TopSeller I feel majority of your questions have been answered to there full extent! Happy hunting, and don't forget to visit the console section regularly for updates on Jailbreak News and great resources. https://www.mpgh.net/forum/233-console-game-hacking/

Sincerely, REVIVE.
    Last edited by Justin; 05-27-2012 at 09:26 PM.

Minion Statistics

Ex-Console Minion: 13/01/2011 ~ 19/04/2011
    Console Re-Minion: 14/06/2012 ~ 27/02/2013
    AVA Minion: 22/06/2012 ~ 12/11/2012
    Battlefield Minion: 04/02/2013 ~ 27/02/2013

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin For This Useful Post:

Diminished (05-27-2012),TopSeller (05-27-2012)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired
    @REVIVE I was gonna mention you, but all the questions were answered...I also forgot to tell him about the section /faceplam

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Diminished For This Useful Post:

Justin (05-27-2012)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast