Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad

Do you think fate exists?

If an entire process is understood, the next step which is taken by the process can be calculated. For example, if we were to measure the force of which the human hand applied to a die as well as the angle at which it were launched, factored in friction etc and all "hidden" variables (those which we are not aware of), we would be able to determine where the dice would land and which number it would face up.

If the same concept is true for chemical reactions in our brain, and virtually every reaction in our universe, does fate exist? I.e if we froze time and measured all factors in our universe, would we be able to calculate what occurs in the next time frame?

Quantum Mechanics suggest that randomness does exist; though Einstein himself (after discovering it) spent his entire life trying to disprove this, as he himself did not believe that randomness did exist. However most scientists believe if randomness does exist, is at such an insignificant level that it is not considered to affect large systems at a macroscropic level.

Neuroscience of free will - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Benjamin Libet also proved that our brain responds to muscle movements before we make the continuous decision to move these muscles. I.e, when we move our fingers, we haven't yet continuously decided to do so. That infact, we only become aware of this movement several moments after our fingers begin moving.

So watchu think? I believe fate exists, but I also don't give a shit that it does. For example, I'm okay believe god doesn't exists, because otherwise, when I am dead, I cease to exist and am not alive to experience death.

There are two types of tragedies in life. One is not getting what you want, the other is getting it.

If you wake up at a different time in a different place, could you wake up as a different person?

Thanks
    well, i dont some people do

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bored
    Eh im not so sure on the entire concept of free will being pre-determined.
    I more or less believe in the R.L Stein version of fate where based on your actions before you are giving some choices into where you can go with yourself. Thus randomness of the initial leads to a series of possibilities and probabilities which in determining factors could be predicted (its also possible to have a large series of initially random actions which could lead to perpetual randomness although as unlikely as the actions themselves) but with that still initial randomness prediction becomes near impossible...near but not completely.

but nevertheless i have a question for you
    Do you Believe in Magic?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad
    Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    Eh im not so sure on the entire concept of free will being pre-determined.
    I more or less believe in the R.L Stein version of fate where based on your actions before you are giving some choices into where you can go with yourself. Thus randomness of the initial leads to a series of possibilities and probabilities which in determining factors could be predicted (its also possible to have a large series of initially random actions which could lead to perpetual randomness although as unlikely as the actions themselves) but with that still initial randomness prediction becomes near impossible...near but not completely.

but nevertheless i have a question for you
    Do you Believe in Magic?
    My brother said, chemistry is like magic. Depends on your definition of 'magic.' We can control matter, if that is what you mean.

There are two types of tragedies in life. One is not getting what you want, the other is getting it.

If you wake up at a different time in a different place, could you wake up as a different person?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish
    No, fate doesn't exist. We aren't predestined to do anything. We decide our own fate in this random universe.

THE EYE OF AN ADMINISTRATOR IS UPON YOU. ANY WRONG YOU DO IM GONNA SEE, WHEN YOU'RE ON MPGH, LOOK BEHIND YOU, 'CAUSE THATS WHERE IM GONNA BE

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you lose.” - Dave84311

HAVING VIRTUAL DETOX

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave84311 View Post
    No, fate doesn't exist. We aren't predestined to do anything. We decide our own fate in this random universe.
    This.

We decide every decision in our life. Though, every decision has a consequence whether it's good or bad.

Super User since 02.02.2020
    Global Moderator since 09.23.2017
    Moderator since 09.01.2016
    Minion+ since 07.22.2016

Marketplace Minion since 06.09.2016
    Trove Minion since 06.06.2016
    Middleman since 04.21.2016
    Social Engineering Minion since 02.03.2016
    News FO Freelancer From 11.08.2015 to 07.23.2016
    News FO Head Editor From 08.23.2015 to 11.08.2015
    News FO Head Editor From 07.19.2012 to 08.11.2014
    MPGH News and News FO Founder
    Programming Minion From Unknown to 04.23.2013
    Minecraft Minion From 09.19.2012 to 04.23.2013
    Member since 05.13.2012

Thanks
    I think as humans you have your own choice, but as a universe as a whole there has been a fate decided for the universe and there is nothing to do to change what happens to the universe.
    [IMG]https://i1213.photobucke*****m/albums/cc463/masks1/my_loving_flame_by_mj_magic-d5gkrqk.jpg[/IMG]

"Christian Bible, the Gospel of Mark, chapter five, verse nine. We acknowledge this as an appropriate metaphor. We are Legion, a terminal of the Geth. We will integrate into Normandy."
    -Legion

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Quote Originally Posted by Commander X View Post
    I think as humans you have your own choice, but as a universe as a whole there has been a fate decided for the universe and there is nothing to do to change what happens to the universe.
    How does that make sense? Polar opposites for the two

THE EYE OF AN ADMINISTRATOR IS UPON YOU. ANY WRONG YOU DO IM GONNA SEE, WHEN YOU'RE ON MPGH, LOOK BEHIND YOU, 'CAUSE THATS WHERE IM GONNA BE

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you lose.” - Dave84311

HAVING VIRTUAL DETOX

Thanks

How does that make sense? Polar opposites for the two

No human has a fate tied to them but whether the universe is bound to freeze due to expansion, or if the universe is going to all come together because space is finite or if nothing happens who knows. Now if you believe in multiple universes and membranes then that might make things more interesting, you could then wonder if all universe die the same way or if they are like people where no fate is tied to them.
    [IMG]https://i1213.photobucke*****m/albums/cc463/masks1/my_loving_flame_by_mj_magic-d5gkrqk.jpg[/IMG]

"Christian Bible, the Gospel of Mark, chapter five, verse nine. We acknowledge this as an appropriate metaphor. We are Legion, a terminal of the Geth. We will integrate into Normandy."
    -Legion

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Quote Originally Posted by Azathᴏth View Post
    According to this man, you can't determine anything, there is uncertainty.

The fact of the matter is there is uncertainty his answer on any answer. Until it can be proven, which I doubt will ever happen, we have nothing but what we understand (which is more than likely wrong) to work with.

What my brain and gut tells me is that there is no such thing as fate.

HAVING VIRTUAL DETOX

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Finally an interesting thread.

I don't believe in fate to a certain extent, I think randomness exists, how are we all here from nothing (that being the big bang or whatever)? Furthermore, we freely make our own choices, which some can call fate, but it's like trusting in a God you can't see, it's easy to attribute something that you can't prove, harder to disprove it. In the physics world, does randomness exist? I doubt it, unless it has free will of some sort, there's no reason a particle would choose B over A.

BRING BACK BT, BRING BACK SAGA, BRING BACK VF, BRING BACK MPGHCRAFT, BRING BACK HABAMON

Thanks
    My Mood
    Doh
    WTF that's too long. I'd go for no, fate doesn't exist.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking

According to this man, you can't determine anything, there is uncertainty.

The fact of the matter is there is uncertainty his answer on any answer. Until it can be proven, which I doubt will ever happen, we have nothing but what we understand (which is more than likely wrong) to work with.

What my brain and gut tells me is that there is no such thing as fate.
    What this guy proves using physics, is that there is no such thing as absolute fate, or certainty. On a quantum level, there are factors that prevent certainty from happening.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Quote Originally Posted by arunforce View Post
    Finally an interesting thread.

I don't believe in fate to a certain extent, I think randomness exists, how are we all here from nothing (that being the big bang or whatever)? Furthermore, we freely make our own choices, which some can call fate, but it's like trusting in a God you can't see, it's easy to attribute something that you can't prove, harder to disprove it. In the physics world, does randomness exist? I doubt it, unless it has free will of some sort, there's no reason a particle would choose B over A.
    Why can't randomness exist in physics? I made the decision to reply to your thread, and replied as I did. I could have responded to it in any million ways, with any million choice of words. Did physics somehow determine what I said and how I said it, because... well you know everything revolves around physics.

HAVING VIRTUAL DETOX

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast