Poll: Should I create weekly Videos of Teaching Myself Arma 2's engine scripting for you?

Thanks

Write Your Own Scripts

Alright, this is a simple start up for those asking for scripts or for custom scripts. It bloats the forums to ask for scripts (and you should have looked at the sticky as well).

Anyways, let's get started with what you need:

• Notepad++ (Notepad++ is a free (as in "free speech" and also as in "free beer") source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages.)
    • Notepad++ SQF Language Addon (This adds SQF syntax highlights for those of you who are using notepad++ for scripting.)

HOW TO DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL THESE ITEMS:

1. Download Notepad++
    2. Download Notepad++ SQF addon (named SQF highlight on the download page)
    3. Place Notepad++ SQF Addon into this directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++\plugins\APIs) If you cannot find this directory, if should be very simple to go to the C:/ directory and search for Notepad++
    4. Run Notepad++ once and select the Languages button on the top bar and change it to "user generated" or something along those lines. That is the SQF language highlighter

Now you should be all setup to start writing scripts, but where do you start??

Use the fucking magic google machine...

Here is the Bohemia Interactive Studios Arma beginning scripting tutorial. (html text)
    What this does is just lay out some simple rules for scripting in their engine. It lays out the syntax, the way code should be developed, and has links to even more basic pages such as "what are scripts?".

BUT this almost requires a basic understanding of coding and algorithms. If you want an even more basic baby step into how to script, I have two methods of learning which both have pros and cons:

1. You download someone else's scripts. You should download a script that you know the outcome to and is fairly simple, wuat's scripts (that are now blacklisted lol) make a good example. Open up the script in the new notepad++ and try to read the logic paths and use Arma's script commands list to figure out what the commands do. Back up the non Arma engine commands with a basic google. For example, use arma's command search for setVehicleInit but a simple google for the and or statement.

Pros: a quicker understanding of the scripts you find online and perhaps a quicker ability to manipulate existing scripts into a different outcome. (spawn vehicle to spawn goat or something). It would also have a more hands on feel to it and produce working products quicker.

Cons: While having a more hands on feel, it is not as in depth as method 2 and it would take longer to be able to pruce a full script on one's own.

2. You start with a very simple problem and try to write code to solve said problem in the Arma engine. This will not be anything as big as any dayz scripts and more than likely will not even be able to be executed with the blacklisted terms. You will write the script in Notepad++ and will get some syntax help from the addon and the rest of the help from the posted tutorials.

Pros: this would start the scripter off on an adventure through rabbit holes of code and would give them a greater depth into the actual actions the code is taking and perhaps even the very advance section that is decompiling Arma's engine function.

Cons: this method would take a VERY long time to be 100% competent with.

Here are some very well written Arma 2 scripting tutorials:

• Basic Scripting Tutorial by Daddldiddl

This is like the BIS tutorial, but is a more indepth document that starts from problem to scripting and does not require multiple web pages like I'm rocking with gathering these resources, lol

• Bohemia Interctive Studios Basics webpage

This webpage has some of the most common answers to the most common questions regaurding the Arma scripting language such as syntax. It is not as lengthy as the tutorial by Daddldiddl, but it is a good place for the users who already know a little bit of programming and do not want to wade through the beginner stuff. But if you do not understand stuff, such as syntax, they have branch off pages with more detail.

• Squint basics online presentation

Goes through the basics of using SQUINT.

• Arma 2 Commands Reference

This is the best place if you are using method one because it is a simple search to find commands and has them all on one page.

• Basics of coding
      If you are dead serious into getting into coding, I recommend starting from "hardware level" coding. Here are some books (that I'm sure I also have torrents for but will not list them here) that I am using for uni as an Electrical Engineer:

ARM Assembly Language:

The ARM core is probably the most widely used embedded central processing unit incorporated in programmed electronic systems. Millions of products with an ARM core are sold every day. ARM cores are components in so many electronic products that ARM is increasingly chosen as the main CPU example for electronic engineering course. This is an introductory text describing the ARM assembly language and its use for simple tasks. It is suitable for students who have not previously used any assembly language. Features of ARM that differ from other common microcontrollers are emphasised so it is also an introduction for the professional using an ARM device for the first time.

C program language 2nd Edition:

This cook has been around for fucking ever. I actually have one from 1985 that has an order form in the back for "Program Listings on Diskette for $25!" Pretty crazy, but it also said just upgraded to ANSI C... Sheesh blast to the past. Anyways, even the 1985 book has C coding that is relevant and executable today. C gives a most basic understanding to coding without having to worry about GUI interfaces or any of the huge number of tools with C++ or C#.

Then some other C++ or C# books since that is what the Arma engine is based on. I do not own any yet, so cannot give a fair review for any of the millions of available books.

If you did this method, you could go as far as understanding and creating your own BE Bypass. Or create another as tracking players without having to Bypass at all! (i removed the url, but you should be able to google the complexity these two actually have)

It is getting very very late for me, but if I missed anything, let me know and I will have it updated tomorrow. I will also continue to add to the lists (especially tutorial lists) and I may even make a video series (if I have time and software) of my weekly adventures of trying to take Arma 2 scripting tutorials as a newbie as well (because I am). I feel it would connect more to those that feel there is not a starting point or need a little more help even after reading this.

Oh, but a1b2c3d4e511, this will be outdated in a couple months with the Arma 3 and DayZ standalone release.

NOPE! YOU'RE WRONG LIKE ALWAYS <3. The DayZ standalone has been confirmed for running on a "special" engine based off of the Real Vertuality 4 Engine. This means that the engine will be using a JVM to compile the code and thus this sqf (and C++ and C#) will work in Arma 3 and DayZ. BIS has released that the engine will use Java as the main language and if you were to take the long path of learning coding from the very very bottom with the books, you would just need to learn a little syntax difference between Java and sqf (or C) or know how to bridge the languages to run in the JVM.

I just found the post in BIS forums by a dev. about the JAVA VM and he said this:

• the engine should be be able to run code written in any programming language that can compiled for Java Virtual Machine but we did not experiment with it so far ( quite few, Logo anyone )
    • for now, bridge to all existing scripting commands is present
    • it is possible create new scripting commands to take full advantage of JVM (performance, nicer interface)
    • Arma 3 is going to build upon this technology, so if you can, Take On Java now and help us to shape it up

Conclusion:
    Get started scripting your own SQF files and try them yourself. If you are into DayZ hacks you should try it. I mean, you have time between BE Bypasses, what is there to lose except a life? I lost a bit of mine throwing together this thread, so please enjoy and give me feedback, whether positive or negative!
    Last edited by a1b2c3d4e511; 08-17-2012 at 03:02 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to a1b2c3d4e511 For This Useful Post:

Blitz (08-17-2012),DutchMuffin (08-18-2012),indec (08-17-2012),TheRaz3or (08-17-2012)

Thanks
    Nice tutorial

Thanks
    Awesome!
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRaz3or View Post
    Awesome!
    Thanks!
    No problem! And if anyone has any questions, you can Pm me. I'll do the best I can.