Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Far from around you Programmer: C++ | VB | C# | JAVA
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool

Post Take advantage of Multi-Core Processors and Multi-threading

MultiThreading is already in the programs u develop, just behind the scenes. Take advantage of it to improve the performance of those multi-core processors and optimize it for the single thread processors.

example:
    Code:
    #include <ppl.h>

using namespace Concurrency;

void Hook()
    {
        parallel_invoke(
            [&] {
                //Hook Present
            },
            [&] {
                //Hook Endscene
            });
         );
    }
    This will allow u to do multiple things at a time using multiple threads.The number of threads are limited to the number of logical processor and single thread processors will not see any performance change. Something like this will help u with your menus. The reason menus lag is because of the font. Having to draw every character in every string for every item. For each character in a string, in each items, that is a lot of time wasted in looping, but what if u could do more than one of these at a time.

Example:
    Please note that fonts not coded for concurrency may have rendering errors, if requested i will be willing to code a Font class for Concurrency
    Code:
    //This function will return the time it takes to call the function
    template <class Function>
    __int64 time_call(Function&& f){
       __int64 begin = GetTickCount();
       f();
       return GetTickCount() - begin;
    }

void DrawParallel()
    {
    	parallel_for(0, 10, [&] (int i)
    	{
    		Font.DrawText(200, 20+ i*15, WHITE, "BLA BLA BLA");
    	});
    }

void DrawSerial()
    {
    	for(int i = 0; i < 10; i++)
    	{
    		Font.DrawText(20 , 20 + i*15, WHITE, "BLA BLA BLA");
    	}
    }

void RenderFont()
    {
    // Draws the time it takes to do these different Draws.
    	Font.DrawNumber( 200, 10, WHITE, time_call([&] { DrawParallel(); } ));
    	Font.DrawNumber( 20, 10, WHITE, time_call([&] { DrawSerial(); } ));
    }
    Depending on the number of logical cores the time it takes to render these times may differ.
    Last edited by topblast; 08-18-2012 at 02:27 PM.
    I just like programming, that is all.

Current Stuff:

• GPU Programmer (Cuda)
    • Client/Server (Cloud Server)
    • Mobile App Development

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by topblast View Post
    MultiThreading is already in the programs u develop, just behind the scenes. Take advantage of it to improve the performance of those multi-core processors and optimize it for the single thread processors.

example:
    Code:
    #include <ppl.h>

void Hook()
    {
        parallel_invoke(
            [&] {
                //Hook Present
            },
            [&] {
                //Hook Endscene
            });
         );
    }
    This will allow u to do multiple things at a time using multiple threads.The number of threads are limited to the number of logical processor and single thread processors will not see any performance change. Something like this will help u with your menus. The reason menus lag is because of the font. Having to draw every character in every string for every item. For each character in a string, in each items, that is a lot of time wasted in looping, but what if u could do more than one of these at a time.

Example:
    Please note that fonts not coded for concurrency may have rendering errors, if requested i will be willing to code a Font class for Concurrency
    Code:
       f();
    }

void DrawParallel()
    {
    	{
    	});
    }

void DrawSerial()
    {
    	{
    	}
    }

void RenderFont()
    {
    }
    Depending on the number of logical cores the time it takes to render these times may differ.
    No shit shurlock xD

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeys View Post
    No shit shurlock xD
    So i take it your using parallelism already? in menus and all of that.

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

I am just saying in FPS games better frames and who get the hacks in first win.

Current Stuff:

• GPU Programmer (Cuda)
    • Mobile App Development

Thanks

So i take it your using parallelism already? in menus and all of that.

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

I am just saying in FPS games better frames and who get the hacks in first win.
    Btw, if you need to invoke then there is not realy a big preformance boost. The part that you invoke will run on the thread who created the item. After that it will return to the thread you were running. So if you have 4 threads waiting till the other thread finished his job.. Then there is a lot of proccessing power "wasted". This doesn't mean that invoking alway's will end in preformance lost, but for some things it will.

I almost can't program good software without Multi threading. A very good tip for the peapel who want to start with Multi threading:
    First make a part working in one thread, if you have done that you can use more threads to do the job faster. Why? Debugging multi threaded code is harder then debugging single threaded code.

You also need to understand locking critical parts, for example when you are sending data to a server. Then you don't want to send data at the same time.

You also need to know when Multi threading will benefit and what features your programming language has with multithreading.

Don't start with multithreading if you don't understand the concept, learn methodes en watch some videos to see how you can use it:
    https://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&...eDeq_K_S99nuXA

For the ppl who will read ops code, GetTickCount is bad practice. 1 Tick can be 60% faster on an other pc. If you want to measure time don't use this function! So don't use his time_call function.

Use this: https://www.mpgh.net/forum/242-crossf...ml#post6491415

For the rest, gj
    Last edited by Deadeys; 08-18-2012 at 07:22 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    Btw, if you need to invoke then there is not realy a big preformance boost. The part that you invoke will run on the thread who created the item. After that it will return to the thread you were running. So if you have 4 threads waiting till the other thread finished his job.. Then there is a lot of proccessing power "wasted". This doesn't mean that invoking alway's will end in preformance lost, but for some things it will.

I almost can't program good software without Multi threading. A very good tip for the peapel who want to start with Multi threading:
    First make a part working in one thread, if you have done that you can use more threads to do the job faster. Why? Debugging multi threaded code is harder then debugging single threaded code.

You also need to understand locking critical parts, for example when you are sending data to a server. Then you don't want to send data at the same time.

You also need to know when Multi threading will benefit and what features your programming language has with multithreading.

Don't start with multithreading if you don't understand the concept, learn methodes en watch some videos to see how you can use it:
    https://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&...eDeq_K_S99nuXA

For the ppl who will read ops code, GetTickCount is bad practice. 1 Tick can be 60% faster on an other pc. If you want to measure time don't use this function! So don't use his time_call function.

Use this: https://www.mpgh.net/forum/242-crossf...ml#post6491415

For the rest, gj
    if it is doing it 4 at once, it will be faster than 4 one after the other which this is not for server but for hacks, with good coding it can do well also with those while loops that are in the hacks in this section, parallel_for will help them alot.

I dont expect them to use them everywhere really, cause it will not work well. It is good to have a little Serialization

Current Stuff:

• GPU Programmer (Cuda)
    • Mobile App Development

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired

example:
    Code:
    #include <ppl.h>

void Hook()
    {
        parallel_invoke(
            [&] {
                //Hook Present
            },
            [&] {
                //Hook Endscene
            });
         );
    }

Example:
    Code:
       f();
    }

void DrawParallel()
    {
    	{
    	});
    }

void DrawSerial()
    {
    	{
    	}
    }

void RenderFont()
    {
    }
    Nice share. Although I find it easier just to use prims to render text and you really wont notice much ( if any ) lag via prims. Have to remember that if people are running old single cores this really won't make a difference where as the prims would. And deadeys has a point with critical sections, and you might want to look into locking your pointers when they're not in use, there is tons of ways to improve performance. nevertheless, i'm glad to see someone actually having knowledge of the language xD & as i said before, nice share.

--edit--

also you guys should checkout the new standard & the conference that went along with its release. make sure you delete any allocated memory after it's done being used and cache as much data as possible, and optimize your code and such
    Last edited by ~FALLEN~; 08-19-2012 at 01:00 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool

Running this code to time it and Sleep for 10 ms i got the times below, u can see the difference 8 threaded processor have over the 4 threaded one when using parallelism.
    Code:
    #include <iostream>
    #include <Windows.h>
    #include <ppl.h>

f();
    }

int main(int argc, char** argv)
    {
    	printf("Time : %i\r\n\n",time_call([&]{

Concurrency::parallel_for(0, 50,[&](int i)
    		{
    			printf("Output %i\r\n", i);
    			Sleep(10);
    		});
    	}));
    	system("pause");
    	return 0;
    }
    Running this code to time it and Sleep for 10 ms i got the times below, there is no difference between the 8 threaded processor and the 4 threaded one when using traditional for loops, performance wasted.
    Code:
    #include <iostream>
    #include <Windows.h>
    #include <ppl.h>

f();
    }

int main(int argc, char** argv)
    {
    	printf("Time : %i\r\n\n",time_call([&]{
    		for(int i=0; i<50;i++)
    		{
    			printf("Output %i\r\n", i);
    			Sleep(10);
    		}
    	}));
    	system("pause");
    	return 0;
    }

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------
    Test for AMD Phenom II x4 (Quad Core, 4 Thread) = 125 ms vs 499ms

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

Test for Intel CORE i7 sandybridge (Quad Core x2 threads, 8 Threads ) = 62ms ~ 78 ms vs 499ms
    : This is why Intel Better, more threads in a core, so 8 logical processors, just saying

Current Stuff:

• GPU Programmer (Cuda)
    • Mobile App Development

8. The Following User Says Thank You to topblast For This Useful Post:

giniyat101 (08-21-2012)

Thanks
    Omg, are you brains less or did't you read what I typed? You can't mesure time with GetTickCount! Intel will have an other TickCount in 1 seconde then amd. And its imposable that you have in 2 runes the same result..

And what did you test? How to print as fast as posable a messange? Use this in game when you render your menu. The game also needs threads, and if you have more threads then your system can run at the same time threads will pause and wait till there is room for them. So it's not a 100% guarantee that multithreading is faster when are dealing with an other application.
    Last edited by Deadeys; 08-20-2012 at 11:32 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    Omg, are you brains less or did't you read what I typed? You can't mesure time with GetTickCount! Intel will have an other TickCount in 1 seconde then amd. And its imposable that you have in 2 runes the same result..

And what did you test? How to print as fast as posable a messange? Use this in game when you render your menu. The game also needs threads, and if you have more threads then your system can run at the same time threads will pause and wait till there is room for them. So it's not a 100% guarantee that multithreading is faster when are dealing with an other application.
    Its just a test, wasn't in the mood to go researching better tickcounts.

yes other threads may pause to run a little thing that is done many times a second, so i can finish it faster, instead of holding up one of the most important threads to do things that could save time(whats the point in the physics thread, if it is in a separate thread if u cannot see the graphics it is doing). These hacks are mostly processor side, not like we are using the GPU to help run these hacks and do the calculations that is needed for the menus. Getting these things done quickly and allowing the CPU to go back to the game in my opinion is good enough for me.

my quad core is running over 1100 threads right now, add / holding 4 doesn't seem like it will do much.

Current Stuff:

• GPU Programmer (Cuda)
    • Mobile App Development

Thanks
    Its just a test, wasn't in the mood to go researching better tickcounts.
    Then don't say that Intel is better then AMD, and btw you compair 2 CPU setups that don't cost the same.

yes other threads may pause to run a little thing that is done many times a second, so i can finish it faster, instead of holding up one of the most important threads to do things that could save time(whats the point in the physics thread, if it is in a separate thread if u cannot see the graphics it is doing).
    it can do well also with those while loops that are in the hacks in this section, parallel_for will help them alot.
    Running 4 threads cost more cpu power then 1 thread. It's true that mostly more threads are faster but how more threads you use how more work the CPU needs to do. If you are spanning 100 threads to change 100 addresses then it cost more time then 1 thread changes 100 addresses.

If you span alot of threads it can be buggy. If there is a thread that needs to wait till a thread is finished it will hold 1 thread place. If you span 4 threads when the cpu can handel 4 threads then it will slow down the thread that needs to wait. And if those 4 threads need to wait till the other thread is done.. Then you have a big problem.

So spanning as much threads as posable is a bad idee. You need to know what you are doing. The people here don't know what they are doing so don't let them use more threads then one.

These hacks are mostly processor side, not like we are using the GPU to help run these hacks and do the calculations that is needed for the menus. Getting these things done quickly and allowing the CPU to go back to the game in my opinion is good enough for me.
    Can you tell me how it's posable that crossfire doen't need much cpu/gpu power and that a silly menu does? Normaly you don't need multithreading for a simple menu hack :\. I made a while ago a menu hack, I never had a lag problem...
    Last edited by Deadeys; 08-20-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Deadeys has a point, I wouldn't use GTC for synchronization or for time even. theres multiple ticks per second :/ if you really wanted to figure out how much time has passed you could use timegettime( ... ) or time( ... ) or something of that nature.

As far as asynchronous multi-threading i would go for something like a page lock or critical sections. something of that nature. but you really dont need to multi thread for a hack to be honest, just use prims and keep your code optimized and use the correct compiler settings and u shouldnt lose any fps or performance.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    Then don't say that Intel is better then AMD, and btw you compair 2 CPU setups that don't cost the same.

Running 4 threads cost more cpu power then 1 thread. It's true that mostly more threads are faster but how more threads you use how more work the CPU needs to do. If you are spanning 100 threads to change 100 addresses then it cost more time then 1 thread changes 100 addresses.

If you span alot of threads it can be buggy. If there is a thread that needs to wait till a thread is finished it will hold 1 thread place. If you span 4 threads when the cpu can handel 4 threads then it will slow down the thread that needs to wait. And if those 4 threads need to wait till the other thread is done.. Then you have a big problem.

So spanning as much threads as posable is a bad idee. You need to know what you are doing. The people here don't know what they are doing so don't let them use more threads then one.

Can you tell me how it's posable that crossfire doen't need much cpu/gpu power and that a silly menu does? Normaly you don't need multithreading for a simple menu hack :\. I made a while ago a menu hack, I never had a lag problem...
    I said intel is better because they use Hyper Threading, u kno 2 threads in a core and amd doesnt. I kno that more threads will be more stressful to the cpu but I want to explore the language and find different ways to do thing and improve performance in every little way i can.

---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ~FALLEN~ View Post
    Deadeys has a point, I wouldn't use GTC for synchronization or for time even. theres multiple ticks per second :/ if you really wanted to figure out how much time has passed you could use timegettime( ... ) or time( ... ) or something of that nature.

As far as asynchronous multi-threading i would go for something like a page lock or critical sections. something of that nature. but you really dont need to multi thread for a hack to be honest, just use prims and keep your code optimized and use the correct compiler settings and u shouldnt lose any fps or performance.
    I already use prims, but my quest to mainly improve the speed of the draw font. if i can draw some of those chars faster i would be happy.

BeginStatic() //Locks the Vertex buffer
    AddStaticText (...) // fills the vertex buffer's vertexes
    // bla bla bla
    AddStaticText (...) // fills the vertex buffer's vertexes
    EndStatic() // unlock the vertex buffer
    RenderStatic...
    ClearStatic // DISCARD the vertexs

Current Stuff:

• GPU Programmer (Cuda)
    • Mobile App Development

Thanks
    Try to avoide sleeps, that will help you alot. You can put realtime procces like hotketcheak in a thread. Bla bla.

Btw, delete the sleep in your test and run it again . Your test is not fair with that sleep.
    Last edited by Deadeys; 08-21-2012 at 03:04 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    Try to avoide sleeps, that will help you alot. You can put realtime procces like hotketcheak in a thread. Bla bla.

Btw, delete the sleep in your test and run it again . Your test is not fair with that sleep.
    if it makes u happy i will find a better tick test.

Current Stuff:

• GPU Programmer (Cuda)
    • Mobile App Development

Thanks

if it makes u happy i will find a better tick test.
    I already gave you one. But the reason why the single threaded is a lot slower:

1 Thread:
    msg = 1 ms
    sleep = 50 ms
    msg = 1 ms
    sleep = 50 ms
    msg = 1 ms
    sleep = 50 ms
    msg = 1 ms
    sleep = 50 ms

2 threads:
    msg-msg = 2 ms
    sleep-sleep = 50ms
    msg-msg = 2 ms
    sleep-sleep = 50ms

As you can see, multi thread sleeps at the same time, single thread needs to do all the sleeps after each other. This meens that the sleep is the cause of the difference.

__

Test under heavy load (Phenom II x4):

If you redo the test without sleep (tickcount):
    Code:
    Output 0
    Output 1
    Output 2
    Output 3
    Output 4
    Output 5
    Output 6
    Output 7
    Output 8
    Output 9
    Output 10
    Output 11
    Output 12
    Output 13
    Output 14
    Output 15
    Output 16
    Output 17
    Output 18
    Output 19
    Output 20
    Output 21
    Output 22
    Output 23
    Output 24
    Output 25
    Output 26
    Output 27
    Output 28
    Output 29
    Output 30
    Output 31
    Output 32
    Output 33
    Output 34
    Output 35
    Output 36
    Output 37
    Output 38
    Output 39
    Output 40
    Output 41
    Output 42
    Output 43
    Output 44
    Output 45
    Output 46
    Output 47
    Output 48
    Output 49
    Time normal : 31
    Code:
    Output 38
    Output 13
    Output 0
    Output 26
    Output 39
    Output 44
    Output 14
    Output 1
    Output 27
    Output 45
    Output 40
    Output 15
    Output 2
    Output 28
    Output 41
    Output 46
    Output 16
    Output 3
    Output 29
    Output 42
    Output 47
    Output 17
    Output 30
    Output 4
    Output 43
    Output 48
    Output 18
    Output 31
    Output 5
    Output 49
    Output 19
    Output 32
    Output 6
    Output 20
    Output 33
    Output 7
    Output 10
    Output 21
    Output 11
    Output 8
    Output 34
    Output 22
    Output 9
    Output 35
    Output 12
    Output 23
    Output 37
    Output 36
    Output 25
    Output 24
    Time multi : 125
    As I said, the sleep was the problem, this is with a good time function:

Code:
    Output 0
    Output 1
    Output 2
    Output 3
    Output 4
    Output 5
    Output 6
    Output 7
    Output 8
    Output 9
    Output 10
    Output 11
    Output 12
    Output 13
    Output 14
    Output 15
    Output 16
    Output 17
    Output 18
    Output 19
    Output 20
    Output 21
    Output 22
    Output 23
    Output 24
    Output 25
    Output 26
    Output 27
    Output 28
    Output 29
    Output 30
    Output 31
    Output 32
    Output 33
    Output 34
    Output 35
    Output 36
    Output 37
    Output 38
    Output 39
    Output 40
    Output 41
    Output 42
    Output 43
    Output 44
    Output 45
    Output 46
    Output 47
    Output 48
    Output 49
    Normal: 0.0128041
    Code:
    Output 38
    Output 13
    Output 0
    Output 26
    Output 39
    Output 44
    Output 14
    Output 1
    Output 27
    Output 40
    Output 45
    Output 15
    Output 2
    Output 28
    Output 46
    Output 41
    Output 16
    Output 3
    Output 29
    Output 42
    Output 47
    Output 4
    Output 17
    Output 30
    Output 43
    Output 48
    Output 18
    Output 5
    Output 31
    Output 49
    Output 19
    Output 6
    Output 32
    Output 20
    Output 7
    Output 10
    Output 33
    Output 11
    Output 8
    Output 21
    Output 34
    Output 22
    Output 9
    Output 12
    Output 35
    Output 23
    Output 37
    Output 36
    Output 24
    Output 25
    Multi: 0.122748
    Also useless... 50 runs is not much..

Lets do 5k runs, and use cls to clean the screen so we can see the output.
    Code:
    Normal: 0.401239
    Multi: 10.9652
    This is better..

Lets do 50k runs:
    Code:
    Normal: 3.16472
    Multi: 109.457

50k, make 2 threads max with multi threading:

Code:
    Normal: 3.2298
    Multi: 3.12841
    A littel bit better

Now with 4:
    Code:
    Normal: 3.20476
    Multi: 3.41695
    Hmm, that sucks...

___

Without a heavy game that takes multiple threads:

Code:
    Normal: 3.8366
    Multi: 3.384
    Code:
    Normal: 0.427616
    Multi: 0.335064

I guess you know enought now :P.
    Last edited by Deadeys; 08-21-2012 at 03:24 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast