Thanks

Workaround for mods; needs implementation

INTRO
    So Good Stuff Lite allow us to load external models and textures into the game.
    Sadly, its creator, Checkbox, hasn't updated it for some time now. The latest version of the hack is detected.
    The game checks for the original dll file and if it's the hacked version, it closes on you.

CURRENT STATE
    There is a workaround: if an old version of GSL, hex-edited with a few 00's at its end, is loaded at a specific time while the game loads, you can get it working.
    Problem is the window is very slim, specially on fast computers.

If we swap the original filesystem_stdio.dll with the hacked version of GSL, the game loads the mods. Problem is, if you swap too soon, the game detects the hack. If you swap too late, the game loads the original file and the mods won't load.
    Some people can do it easily, others get it after a few tries. Personally, since the last patch, which narrowed the window even more, I haven't be able to do it even once.

HOW THE GAME CHECKS FOR HACKS
    So I did some research using Process Monitor. It tells me what and when the game executable is doing.
    I searched for Filesystem_stdio.dll, hslogo.jpg and _usa_splash.bmp and found out the following happens while the game is loading:

8 seconds in: game loads hslogo.jpg, the Fiona pic that appears in the center of the screen
    10 seconds in: Vindictus.exe CreateFile, QueryStandardInformationFile, ReadFile, CloseFile on Filesystem_stdio.dll
    11 seconds: does it again.
    As I understand, the game opens the dll, scans the info on it, reads a part of it, then closes it.

12 seconds: QueryOpen, CreateFile, CreateFileMapping, CloseFile on Filesystem_stdio.dll
    12.2 seconds: loads Vindictus splash screen
    12.4 seconds: CreateFile, QueryStandardInformationFile, CloseFile on Filesystem_stdio.dll

Mind you that those times are roughly transcripted and will differ on other PCs.
    I believe the window for swapping files to be either between the 10 and 11 second mark or between the 11 and 12 second mark, but those times vary each time I launch the game, so a simple countdown before swapping the files won't work.

REQUEST
    Here's the request: need a way to tell when the game has opened and closed the dll for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd time and a command to switch the dlls around when that happens.
    I'm researching Windows command line batch files and Autoit scripts to accomplish that, but haven't come up with an answer.
    Last edited by GreenXIII; 11-13-2012 at 02:58 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenXIII View Post
    REQUEST
    Here's the request: need a way to tell when the game has opened and closed the dll for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd time and a command to switch the dlls around when that happens.
    I'm researching Windows command line batch files and Autoit scripts to accomplish that, but haven't come up with an answer.
    Hook CreateFile in an injected DLL and make it replace the file after the hook is called.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post

Hook CreateFile in an injected DLL and make it replace the file after the hook is called.
    Seems simple enough, but due to my lack of skills in actual coding (c, c++, java), I'm trying a more noobish approach (as I mentioned, either through Autoit or Windows command-line).

Unless some of the console/dll makers in this forum step up to the task.

Thanks
    You can't do that without a hook.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    You can't do that without a hook.
    Hypothetically, one could make a continuous check on the dll until it's loaded (can't delete it, can't move it), and swap it when it's unloaded.
    Don't need a hook for that. Am I correct?

I did find a very shoddy method, but the speed it checks the dll isn't fast enough to detect the interval between loading and unloading.

Thanks
    Yes, that might work.

Thanks
    Unfortunately, my efforts have been in vain. I couldn't find a way to do the file swapping flawlessly everytime.
    Guess the only surefire way would be through an injected dll, as Nico suggested. That will require an actual coder to achieve.

Well, to help convince the coders on this forum, I compiled this small list of mods that already exist but need Good Stuff Lite to work (more on GSL on the 1st post):
    -Hi-res skins: either to use in nude form or under the game's inner-armors.
    -Ecchi combat mod: makes the broken armor disappear completely instead of appearing partly, leaving you only in the inner armor.
    -Hair/armor mods: new meshes for hair and armors.
    -Tranformation mods: turns the Paladin and Dark Knight into other models. Currently there's Tieve, Seanna, the Succubus and others.
    -Custom colors for hair/inners: you can edit the textures to make them appear in a fixed color of you choice.
    -Inner / hair swaps: can replace any of the meshes for the desired ones.
    -Voice mods: change the characters voices to Korean, Chinese or Japanese versions. Packs are available. Personally, I think the Korean voices are way better than the US/EU ones.

Screenshots:
    ImageShack Album - 4 images

And so on. Anything involving models and textures can be altered with GSL.
    The mod already exists and can be used with the aforementioned workaround. All we need is a way to inject it without hassle.
    Any takers?
    Last edited by GreenXIII; 11-26-2012 at 10:01 AM.