Thanks

Thumbs down Windows 9 Details are Already Emerging

Is it too soon to talk about Windows 9? Well, that's not going to stop some people.

Windows 8 isn't even in beta, but its successor, Windows 9, is already starting to take shape, even if it is only in the most nebulous of forms. This should surprise no one. This industry always has multiple generations of products in development. Not to sound too cynical, but most products are already obsolete when they ship because the successor is already well under development.

This list of potential Windows 9 features isn't the wishful thinking of a hit-or-miss blogger, either. It's from Mike Halsey, a Microsoft MVP and the author of a number of books on Microsoft who has carefully pieced together the clues that are out there.

x64-only: This isn't a hard prediction to make. Before Windows 7 even launched, Microsoft said that its successor, Windows 8, would be the very last version of Windows to support the old 32-bit architecture. This makes sense. There hasn't been a 32-bit x86 processor (not including Atom) on the mainstream market for several years. Yes, Intel is still shipping 32-bit Celerons even now but they are for fringe devices.

If you figure Microsoft wants to go no more than three years in between major releases, with Windows Vista in 2006, Win 7 in 2009, Win 8 in 2012, then figure on 2015 for Windows 9. By then even the Atom processor will be 64-bit, ARM will have made its transition to 64-bits and 32-bit x86 desktop/laptop processors will be history.

Prior to the release of Windows 7, Halsey writes, Microsoft warned software developers that they had just six years left to make sure all of their software, plug-ins and Windows extensions were 64-bit. That's perfect with a 2015 timeline. So don't say you weren't warned.

No More Legacy Support: This would be dependent on moving to 64-bits. That would mean no more of the WoW64 architecture to support 32-bit windows. Once all of the apps, drivers and plug-ins move to 64-bits, there will be no need for 32-bit backwards compatibility. If you do need Windows XP support for some reason, it will likely be through sandboxed virtualization similar to what is done in Windows Server 2008, which is 64-bit only.

A Single Windows Base: At the Worldwide Partner Conference, Microsoft said it wanted to move all of their systems to a unified operating system, a move similar to what Apple has done with its operating systems. The Mac, iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad all use the same code base.

Starting with Vista, Microsoft has pretty much unified its x86 operating systems. At their cores, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 are identical. It's what Microsoft puts on top of them that differentiates the two. With the next Xbox in development and smartphone hardware advancing, it won't be too hard to make a single OS base that spans the line of Microsoft products. This should make cross-platform development much easier.

A Unified Interface: this is another WPC announcement. It's not hard to predict this. People have already noticed the resemblance between Windows Phone 7 and Windows 8. If Microsoft is shooting to make a single OS across all devices, then a common UI is only logical. Learn one UI and you learn them all.

This may backfire, as some people don't like the Windows 8 look. However, if Microsoft makes the desktop customizable, truly customizable, then it could be a hit. My desktop is customized with Rainmeter, and I'd love to be able to do the same to my phone and a console.

Of course, 2015 is a long way off. Microsoft has all kinds of research and skunkworks projects going on and who knows, one day something might come along that changes everything. Like the saying goes, men plan and God laughs.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    TL;DR .

Thanks
    My Mood
    Brooding
    summarize pls

Thanks
    All i did was read "Windows 8 isn't even in beta"
    Errr, Windows 8 is released o.o

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Genesis For This Useful Post:

Larity2056 (11-16-2012)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Redux View Post
    All i did was read "Windows 8 isn't even in beta"
    Errr, Windows 8 is released o.o
    Sam is slow.
    One slow fuck

Thanks
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Windows 9 wont exceed windows 8?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad
    The whole 'forcing x64 architecture' kinds of urks me. The problem is there are A LOT of windows uses who play deprecated games or use deprecated & discontinued software. Look at how many people are still downloading classics such as AoE.

Apple sort of did this when they swapped to x86\x64 from ppc and it was a really ugly transition. As you said, they had to use a virtual machine just to maintain backwards compatibility.

I don't see what MS has to gain by removing backwards compatibility, the architectures aren't vastly different. It isn't like moving from ppc to x64. I don't think it is worth abandoning the x86 architecture just to make their lifes a little easier.

There are two types of tragedies in life. One is not getting what you want, the other is getting it.

If you wake up at a different time in a different place, could you wake up as a different person?

Thanks
    Will it have the touch capabilites like 8 does?... If so I'll be sticking with 7.

Thanks
    Well if Windows 9 does end up dropping the x86 architecture you can pretty much rule me out of buying it (as well as most other gamers)
    I'm still on Windows 7, there is no way in hell you'll get me on that ugly 'thing' that is windows 8.

And then if people skip 8 AND 9, we're going to be stuck in the dark ages.
    Microsoft has to realize there are still people on XP ffs, and when was that made? 2001? That's 11 years ago! Isn't it obvious that some people just aren't happy with Microsoft's newer Operating Systems?

Microsoft has to step up their game and unless they start introducing features that people WANT then nobody is going to move forward.
    Last edited by Genesis; 11-16-2012 at 08:03 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    TL;DR
    Windows getting fucked up.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    sounds like copy pasta. summarize plz.
    is it too soon to talk about windows 1,337??

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Quote Originally Posted by Redux View Post
    Well if Windows 9 does end up dropping the x86 architecture you can pretty much rule me out of buying it (as well as most other gamers)
    I'm still on Windows 7, there is no way in hell you'll get me on that ugly 'thing' that is windows 8.

And then if people skip 8 AND 9, we're going to be stuck in the dark ages.
    Microsoft has to realize there are still people on XP ffs, and when was that made? 2001? That's 11 years ago! Isn't it obvious that some people just aren't happy with Microsoft's newer Operating Systems?

Microsoft has to step up their game and unless they start introducing features that people WANT then nobody is going to move forward.
    If you think you'll be gaming on 4 gigs of RAM in 2015, you probably aren't even considered gaming now.

BRING BACK BT, BRING BACK SAGA, BRING BACK VF, BRING BACK MPGHCRAFT, BRING BACK HABAMON

14. The Following User Says Thank You to arunforce For This Useful Post:

Lehsyrus (11-16-2012)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arunforce View Post

If you think you'll be gaming on 4 gigs of RAM in 2015, you probably aren't even considered gaming now.
    Actually i'm on x64 now, the only thing i'm against is them dropping the x86 architecture for legacy games.