Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

Does This Fit & Is this Good Deal?

Nuff Said. . . Except for Is this a good site to buy from (cheapest price wise)? (Newegg)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Can't take the attachment off! :c
    --------------------------------------------
    Anybody?
    Last edited by Rance-Llama; 02-04-2013 at 09:57 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliikekoa View Post
    Can't take the attachment off! :c
    --------------------------------------------
    Anybody?
    Since this section doesn't have minions then you'll have to ask either Dave or a GMOD to do that.
    @Dave84311 @Hero

It looks a decent build for $600 but why are you buying thermal paste? i'm pretty sure the Phenom II's stock cooler comes with paste pre applied.

Also i would be very wary about Foxconn motherboards, something tells me you're cheaping out of one of the main components of your computer and it's not good. Foxconn is an Chinese based company with stories that they don't treat their workers very well, it's got one of the highest suicide rates for any company in the world and they had to install nets on the top of their building to prevent workers from jumping. Do you really want to buy from a company like that? Trusted computer motherboards all come from ASUS/Gigabyte/MSI/ASRock.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Genesis View Post

Since this section doesn't have minions then you'll have to ask either Dave or a GMOD to do that.
    @Dave84311 @Hero

It looks a decent build for $600 but why are you buying thermal paste? i'm pretty sure the Phenom II's stock cooler comes with paste pre applied.

Also i would be very wary about Foxconn motherboards, something tells me you're cheaping out of one of the main components of your computer and it's not good. Foxconn is an Chinese based company with stories that they don't treat their workers very well, it's got one of the highest suicide rates for any company in the world and they had to install nets on the top of their building to prevent workers from jumping. Do you really want to buy from a company like that? Trusted computer motherboards all come from ASUS/Gigabyte/MSI/ASRock.
    0.0. Holy cow. Foxconn is gone, ASrock is here. O.O

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

ASUS/Gigabyte/MSI/ASRock.
    Is this good? Newegg.com - ASRock 970 PRO3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard Can you find a good one for me that fits the Phenom II?

Add me on skype
    Last edited by Rance-Llama; 02-04-2013 at 10:39 PM.

Thanks
    0.0. Holy cow. Foxconn is gone, ASrock is here. O.O

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

Is this good? Newegg.com - ASRock 970 PRO3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard Can you find a good one for me that fits the Phenom II?

Add me on skype
    I'm not on skype much, i'll get on now though.
    That ASRock looks like a decent buy, i've been reading some of the newegg reviews on it and people say there IS a bios update needed when you first buy it but after that it should be smooth sailing.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bored
    If you're going to switch to that Mobo, you can get this RAM instead.

G.Skill Sniper 8gb DDR3 1600, it's pretty much the same as your Corsair RAM but cheaper and black; it won't stick out like a sore thumb. =P

Anyway, everything looks fine to me. Nice choice on the CPU by the way.

Thanks
    You dont need thermal paste, stock cooler comes with paste and will be just fine. You only need to buy it if you care about some really high OC, or are planning to clean your heatsink or its old and needs some new paste.

For that price, I would recommend a Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1TB drive, as Seagate is notorious for not exatcly being the most trustworthy, and has slightly lower specs anyways.

And as said, stay away from Foxconn boards. Factory suicides dont really have any (or much) tangible value on the board itself, its more of an ethical argument. Their boards are just bad.
    Texture Mods

Obedear, the sky is low

Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Heartview View Post
    You dont need thermal paste, stock cooler comes with paste and will be just fine. You only need to buy it if you care about some really high OC, or are planning to clean your heatsink or its old and needs some new paste.

For that price, I would recommend a Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1TB drive, as Seagate is notorious for not exatcly being the most trustworthy, and has slightly lower specs anyways.

And as said, stay away from Foxconn boards. Factory suicides dont really have any (or much) tangible value on the board itself, its more of an ethical argument. Their boards are just bad.

Thanks, I changed The Mobo, the Harddrive and The GFX card
    EVGA 02G-P4-2663-KR GeForce GTX 660 - GFX Card
    ASRock 970 PRO3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA - Motherboard
    SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB 5400 RPM - Hard Drive

Thanks
    Thanks, I changed The Mobo, the Harddrive and The GFX card
    EVGA 02G-P4-2663-KR GeForce GTX 660 - GFX Card
    ASRock 970 PRO3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA - Motherboard
    SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB 5400 RPM - Hard Drive
    5400 RPM? What drive are you looking at?

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 ST250DM001 / HD253GJ 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    Texture Mods

Obedear, the sky is low

Thanks
    I want a Terabyte, or can 250GB hold all the games I want? I'm not gunan got like a million games, so I guess that could work.

Thanks

Seagate not the most trustworthy?
    I've owned 2 WD drives, 2 Toshiba drives and 3 Seagate drives.

1 WD Failed on me.
    1 Toshiba is on it's way.
    All 3 seagates are woking fine.

Thanks

Seagate not the most trustworthy?
    I've owned 2 WD drives, 2 Toshiba drives and 3 Seagate drives.

1 WD Failed on me.
    1 Toshiba is on it's way.
    All 3 seagates are woking fine.
    I have owned, and (for client builds) purchased a pretty big variety of drives. Seagate drives have failed me almost as much as WD drives have. They are both quite prone to failure, the reason WD is more popular is because their drive benchmarks are better.

Components returns rates (5) (page 6: Hard drives) - BeHardware

Take a look at that. WD and Seagate have a return (probably the most reliable current read of failure rate) rate of 2% with a difference of ~.2% between the two. Hell, you may not believe this, but I used to work with a guy who had actually worked at Seagate before, and while discussing computers instead of working, he even recommended to get other drives. Seagate has always been notorious for it's terrible firmware, and slightly lacking hardware. Also bear in mind that these rates used to be higher, as WD has started going down as well. (Hence why I dont recommend either)

That graph also mentions it, but a while back, WD had a lower return rate with much higher drive sales. Seagate usually has lower sales, which would statistically mean they should have less returns. But they are right up there with WD now.

You can see why I recommend the F3's as they come out on top in pretty much every category, including bencmarks, at least in only the 7200 range. (10K drives will obviously outperform any 7200 dur dur)
    Texture Mods

Obedear, the sky is low

Thanks
    I have owned, and (for client builds) purchased a pretty big variety of drives. Seagate drives have failed me almost as much as WD drives have. They are both quite prone to failure, the reason WD is more popular is because their drive benchmarks are better.

Components returns rates (5) (page 6: Hard drives) - BeHardware

Take a look at that. WD and Seagate have a return (probably the most reliable current read of failure rate) rate of 2% with a difference of ~.2% between the two. Hell, you may not believe this, but I used to work with a guy who had actually worked at Seagate before, and while discussing computers instead of working, he even recommended to get other drives. Seagate has always been notorious for it's terrible firmware, and slightly lacking hardware. Also bear in mind that these rates used to be higher, as WD has started going down as well. (Hence why I dont recommend either)

That graph also mentions it, but a while back, WD had a lower return rate with much higher drive sales. Seagate usually has lower sales, which would statistically mean they should have less returns. But they are right up there with WD now.

You can see why I recommend the F3's as they come out on top in pretty much every category, including bencmarks, at least in only the 7200 range. (10K drives will obviously outperform any 7200 dur dur)
    There's nothing about my models there so i'll stick to hoping my seagates don't fail on me.
    Who really cares about drive performance when most of today's enthusiast users have a SSD anyway? I've got a 240GB Sandisk and 120GB Samsung SSD and there's no way i'm going to be putting any of the files i need to access quickly on my mechanical HDD anymore, just storage.

Sure WD may be better, but i'm just speaking from personal experience like you are.

Thanks

There's nothing about my models there so i'll stick to hoping my seagates don't fail on me.
    Who really cares about drive performance when most of today's enthusiast users have a SSD anyway? I've got a 240GB Sandisk and 120GB Samsung SSD and there's no way i'm going to be putting any of the files i need to access quickly on my mechanical HDD anymore, just storage.

Sure WD may be better, but i'm just speaking from personal experience like you are.
    I was'nt speaking out of personal experience. When discussing drive failures, I have always researched a bit to find out who is worse. Seagate up until just recently had been doing really bad, and only seems less so because WD has gone down too.

And SSD's are still a mostly irrelevant topic, they are still far to expensive for large quantities, and still need to work on their cell life before they can reliably be used as storage and main use drives. For now they are serving a good spot in booting OS's and frequent programs, but until some of the kinks get ironed out, MHD's are going to be the main storage function in a PC. Also dont forget that most people are actually not enthusiasts, and dont care for spending extra on SSD's.

Apples Oranges though. Its mainly based around luck, as like I said, I have bought plenty of drives, and plenty of them fail, and plenty of them work. I have a 1 TB Barracuda in my EHD right now, and it still works fine, though I guess you can attribute that to less than 100 power on time.

I want a Terabyte, or can 250GB hold all the games I want? I'm not gunan got like a million games, so I guess that could work.
    With how low current GB/$ is, 1TB will be your best bet. 250GB is kinda low, but hey, I have almost 1.5 TB out of my 3 used atm, so I guess I just like having a ton of stuff.

EDIT: Apparently I linked you to a 250GB drive. Newegg doesnt appear to have the 1TB drive right now, so you can poke around on Amazon to find one. They used to have them anyways.
    Last edited by Heartview; 02-05-2013 at 07:53 PM.
    Texture Mods

Obedear, the sky is low

Thanks

Where is Liz's signature!!!??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast