Thanks

Post C++ Learning help pleas

So i have nothing to do at all since it's summer time and have more than 16 hours a day to do anything i want on the computer.
    I want to learn C++ but not from a book, preferably a website like codeacademy(dot)com something easy and enjoyable.
    So my questions are-
    Do you know where i can learn?
    How long did it take you to learn C++?
    How long do you think it would take me if i did it 10 hours a day?
    Do i need prior knowledge of something like C# to learn?
    Please any thing would help me (exept a book)! thanks
    If it really has to come down to a book, then tell me :s
    Last edited by PrettyLights; 07-18-2013 at 10:52 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cold
    Quote Originally Posted by PrettyLights View Post
    Google, YouTube, Public Library.

Since I had been doing vb/vb.net for several years, it basically came down to just syntax differences..so maybe a few days? But that's just memorizing things like "an IF statement requires ( ) brackets around it's condition", and the different loops (break vs. exit for, exit do, etc) etc etc. But that's just "general purpose programming" and is very limited if you want to interact with *some other software*, and to truly learn all the facets of C++ programming (the standard template library: iterators (big subject), lots of template stuff, etc) -- would take weeks/months of practice, for each topic. All depends what you want to specialize in, or not. If you don't care that the gui freezes when you call a function, you don't "have" to learn about threads...and technically it's not a part of C++, so you could say you know C++, but still be limited in some/many respects. Anyway, the more you know, the better, so reading is always good.

Programming isn't just about memorizing things, it's about how you analyze the world around you and how you define that in code to a computer. I guess it depends how fast you learn...to learn all the "general purpose programming" stuff like variables(scope etc), dynamic memory, pointers, arrays, loops, etc etc etc, maybe..2-3 weeks if you actually care about it and practice making pointless programs just to get used to going through the motions and learning the (basic) language syntax/features. To learn about Windows (R) (processes,forms, form components, api's, etc) another couple weeks, with lots of reading and programming experiments.

No, C++ is older than C# and pretty different except for syntax. (but you do needs a ton of prior knowledge)

Advice: The more you know (ie. the less questions you have), the better. That requires reading, of some kind. Do you know what the .net framework is / why it exists, or how windows threading works (in general, no specific function names...), or how RAM works, as far as how to get chunks of it and how it's addressed? There are hundreds of more subjects you "have to know about" to actually be good at programming. But once you learn the "general purpose stuff", it's pretty easy to experiment with any new subject and learn about it. At first you'll have Tons of stuff to learn all at once, but once you do, specific problems are actually pretty easy, you just have to have the patience to learn the subject and try.

It really does. Or on the pc/tablet if you prefer.
    Last edited by abuckau907; 07-19-2013 at 12:16 AM. Reason: [b] bold
    'Some things that can be counted, don't matter. And some things that matter, can't be counted' - A.E.
    --

My posts have some inaccuracies/are wrong/wrong keyword(s) used.
    They're (maybe) pretty close, and I hope they helped you, not created confusion. Take with grain of salt.

-if you give rep, please leave a comment, else it means less.

Thanks
    So i have nothing to do at all since it's summer time and have more than 16 hours a day to do anything i want on the computer.
    I want to learn C++ but not from a book, preferably a website like codeacademy(dot)com something easy and enjoyable.
    So my questions are-

Learning from sites alone are going to cause you to miss out on a lot of fundamentals since most sites will not cover things in depth. (Such as templates.)

Learning never stops, you will always continue learning new things about a language. Various tips and tricks, short-hand notations for tasks you do constantly, etc.

As said above you wont ever stop learning. But if you do give it 10 hours a day constantly, you can learn a handful fairly fast. It is also a matter of using that knowledge to retain it and remember it. Do things hands-on, test as you go, etc.

No, not at all.

Books will be a big help when it comes to specific topics that most sites wont cover in depth. There are sites that will cover specific things more than others though.

Overall you can learn how to program entirely from the internet without ever touching a book, but it will take a while and you wont get into specific things in much depth without specifically researching them.
    - Gone; this is another shit forum with children as administrators. Not worth contributing to.