Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive

[Review] Fall Anime 2013

This thread is going to be what I've watched in 2013, my opinions on shows, and reccomendations. I'm going to try to keep this organized. I apologize for this being 5 weeks in though, I kept thinking to do it around week 3 and never did.
    Disclaimer: I am not going to give you an explanation of the series in textbook format. You want that, google it.

What you should start to watch
    1. Kill La Kill.
    This season's top hit anime by the studio known as TRIGGER, which basically consist of former GAINAX employee's who worked on stuff like Gurren Lagann and PSG. It is an over-the-top action/ecchi anime with a fun cast and interesting battles. It is FUN to the max, just switch your brain off and enjoy.

Good
    -Animation
    -Comedy
    -Action
    -Interesting in its own way.
    Bad
    -There are a few moments of just still pictures of sorts.(like GL)
    -Fanservice is fine, but a bit distracting when they fight these huge battles wearing skimpy outfits. Though the comedy involving such actually makes up for it.

2. Kyoukai No Kanata
    The series that will probably be the one that people praise by the end. Made by Kyoto Animation(Free!, K-ON!, Haruhi, Fullmetal Panic), it is another anime with a moe protagonist but in a "spirit warriors" realm. Kyo-Ani is pretty spot on with everything they've done, this being no exception. Very iff on characters but the action/plot seems interesting enough. If you like moe or spirit action this one is for you.
    Good:
    Animation ++(best in fall season).
    Interesting take on spirit warriors
    Moe
    No real fanservice
    Bad:
    The story seems kind of simplistic
    Moe

3. Tokyo Ravens.
    This one is going to be 50/50. Because the first three episodes are good, nice twist/story and nice use of 3D animation. However, the 4th episode and beyond might fall prey to something that plagues many anime.(won't spoil anything but if you reach episode 4 you'll know).
    Good:
    -Twist in the story I didn't think would happen so early.
    -Some decent characters/interactions
    -3D animation done suprisingly well.
    Bad:
    -General problems with magic series
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    What you should catch up on!

Hunter x Hunter:
    -With the Chimera Ant arc coming to full, this is the perfect time to catch up on it. Though at 100 episodes long, you can a lot or skim through most. Being shonen the action scenes are generally more important.

Monogatari Series Second:
    - Currently the top BD seller in japan, and probably will be for each release, this is one sexy looking series to not be caught up on. This is the sequel to both Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari, with arcs that include the Cat, Snail, and Snake. All extremely well done in both animation and how it is told.

Magi: The Kindgom Magic.
    -A bit of an odd series. While originally it looked like a dungeon-runner "get to the top" sort of anime, it turns out that it is a lot broader than that and that the dungeons are really a small part in comparison to the world of Magi. A step above your usual shonen, you won't want to miss this season's ending. The first season is called "Magi: Kingdom of Magic".
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    What you should avoid.
    Log Horizon:
    -Probably one of if not the most generic anime to come out this season. Its the tales of someone playing a "realistic" fantasy video game. The story is almost non-existent, the characters are pretty flakey, and there really is nothing to this series that picked up my interest at all. This series done by studio Satelite is a bit of a letdown, consdering their past with Hellsing: Ultimate, but also kind of obvious with their work on series like Fairy Tail and Air gear. My guess was that this is a budget series.
    Bad: Pretty much everything.

Strike the Blood
    -A vampire/harem series with harem-quality action.(i.e magical powers). It's hard to take this series seriously with it's braindead opening, but I tried watching 3 episodes in, and nothing really stood out. It has trash characters, no real plot, and the entire premise is just "super powerful vampire aka THIS GUY is gonna fight people for the sake of pathetic heroine(whoever) at the moment." Which, I'll admit, you make the fights look good, i'll watch. This doesn't. This is some circa 2005 shit, and coming from the people that made both Watamoe and Fate/primsa I'm kind of expecting better choice in series for them.

Bad: Think like..... a shitty version of Taoru no Index without even the loli.
    -----------------------
    Anime I have yet to pick up: Unbreakable Machine Doll.(I'll post back later, like probably monday.). and anything else someone recommends me.

Mmk, /discuss.
    Last edited by Empire; 11-01-2013 at 12:28 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Empire For This Useful Post:

Genesis (11-01-2013),Rance-Sama (10-31-2013)

Thanks
    I loved Strike the blood then Tokyo Ravens/Outbreak Company, watched episode 1 of Kill La Kill but haven't felt like watching more of it

[X]
    Crossfire minion since 06-12-2011
    Minecraft minion since 06-20-2011
    Moderator since 08-17-2011
    Global Moderator since 09-10-2011
    Super User since 08-27-2012
    [X] [X] [X]

Thanks
    Nice review. As for recommendations you should check out Pupa if it's able to air. The manga for Pupa is gory and the animators are trying to release episodes without it censored so television studios have their panties in a notch.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by AqworldThunder View Post
    Nice review. As for recommendations you should check out Pupa if it's able to air. The manga for Pupa is gory and the animators are trying to release episodes without it censored so television studios have their panties in a notch.
    Ah pupa, lets see..
    Ok so what's the problem? The gore isn't anything over the top.....
    :/ I mean fate/zero, berserk, gants, and hellsing really all topped that easily.. Eh, think people are blowing it out of proportion for publicity.

Decent series, small amount of chapters. Though could use some more.....flow? It's pretty generic but could be decent if given free-roam. So far all this stuff looks a little bit too conspiracy-ish and that's a big turnoff for these types of series.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I loved Strike the blood then Tokyo Ravens/Outbreak Company, watched episode 1 of Kill La Kill but haven't felt like watching more of it
    Yeah, I don't know how you'd watch Strike the Blood for more than one episode and not Kill la Kill.

Outbreak company was ok, but its a moe-anime, I don't pick them up past initial episode.
    Last edited by Empire; 10-31-2013 at 11:44 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post

Ah pupa, lets see..
    Ok so what's the problem? The gore isn't anything over the top.....
    :/ I mean fate/zero, berserk, gants, and hellsing really all topped that easily.. Eh, think people are blowing it out of proportion for publicity.

Decent series, small amount of chapters. Though could use some more.....flow? It's pretty generic but could be decent if given free-roam. So far all this stuff looks a little bit too conspiracy-ish and that's a big turnoff for these types of series.
    This is in one of the latest chapters

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    This is in one of the latest chapters

I know, I read all the chapters already.

:/ Still ain't something abnormally high for manga.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    You should start watching Dangan Ronpa, pretty good anime.

Also where are da movies boi? D:

As for what I've been watching: Dangan Ronpa, White album 2, Kuroko no Basket 2, Tokyo Raven, Pupa, and Magi The Kingdom of Magic.

Member Since 8/05/2012
    Editor 4/04/13 - 4/21/13
    Middleman 7/14/13 - 11/4/13

Battlefield Minion 6/13/14-3/20/15
    Steam Minion 7/16/14-3/20/15

Minion+ 10/1/14-3/20/15
    M.A.T. Minion 10/19/14-3/20/15
    ROTMG Minion 1/14/15-3/20/15

Donator Since 2/26/15 (Thanks @Cursed!)
    Steam Minion 5/9/15 - 11/5/15
    OSFPS Minion 9/15/15 - 11/5/15

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by ****** BLUE TURD View Post
    You should start watching Dangan Ronpa, pretty good anime.

Also where are da movies boi? D:

As for what I've been watching: Dangan Ronpa, White album 2, Kuroko no Basket 2, Tokyo Raven, Pupa, and Magi The Kingdom of Magic.
    Haven't seen any anime movies recently.

Dangan Ronpa fell into the same category as Persona did. Decent game, boring anime. It really had too much to cram into anime format and wasn't exactly too original to begin with. Also, the premise is a bit...dull to say the least.(been done a lot recently).

I'll add Magi to the Catch up with section, kuroko no basket is well....there, and pupa hasn't aired yet.

Edit: I can already expect pupa to be the next elfen lied. People all hyping it for the gore.(fate/zero though, still tops this by miles).

But you could check any other real horror manga and you'd probably find 10 times the gore. Franken fran? I am a hero? Shit anything with monsters really.
    Last edited by Empire; 11-01-2013 at 12:56 AM.

Thanks

Dangan Ronpa fell into the same category as Persona did. Decent game, boring anime. It really had too much to cram into anime format and wasn't exactly too original to begin with. Also, the premise is a bit...dull to say the least.(been done a lot recently).

I'll add Magi to the Catch up with section, kuroko no basket is well....there, and pupa hasn't aired yet.

Edit: I can already expect pupa to be the next elfen lied. People all hyping it for the gore.(fate/zero though, still tops this by miles).

But you could check any other real horror manga and you'd probably find 10 times the gore. Franken fran? I am a hero? Shit anything with monsters really.
    I really don't remember Fate/Zero having much gore besides Caster... and you can find a lot of gore in horror manga but I'm talking anime. Meh. I really haven't seen many gory anime that's been released recently so that's why I'm hyped for it.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    I really don't remember Fate/Zero having much gore besides Caster... and you can find a lot of gore in horror manga but I'm talking anime. Meh. I really haven't seen many gory anime that's been released recently so that's why I'm hyped for it.
    It should be interesting to see how this plays out.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=381735

-Btw nice umbrella

Thanks

It should be interesting to see how this plays out.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=381735

-Btw nice umbrella
    I'm sure that they censored out that out of the anime. I've read a few of the raws for the later chapters and Pupa has quite a bit of gore and for the animators to want to keep all of it is in my opinion, a pretty big deal. Could you imagine that scene animated in Fate/Zero? Anime wise I haven't really seen anything truly gory, maybe FOTNS but it's really weak compared to all the horror manga I've been reading as of late. Regardless, it's nice to see something more unique this season than the typical harem stream.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I also feel the same as you only watched 1.
    He only put those animes as not to watch since we had a very big discussion about this.
    Last edited by αяgуяσѕ; 11-01-2013 at 01:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave84311 View Post
    Valid keys, he gave me one himself.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking

I have a friend that works for subbing vids for gogo, I get em a few days before they're released.

Member Since 8/05/2012
    Editor 4/04/13 - 4/21/13

Minion+ 10/1/14-3/20/15
    M.A.T. Minion 10/19/14-3/20/15
    ROTMG Minion 1/14/15-3/20/15

Donator Since 2/26/15 (Thanks @Cursed!)
    Steam Minion 5/9/15 - 11/5/15
    OSFPS Minion 9/15/15 - 11/5/15

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by ****** BLUE TURD View Post

I have a friend that works for subbing vids for gogo, I get em a few days before they're released.
    :/ i call hax

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking

:/ i call hax
    So what? Get on skype btw.

Member Since 8/05/2012
    Editor 4/04/13 - 4/21/13