Thread: Starting Coding

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    IDK if anybody else thinks this is funny, but it amazes me how many people think you can just download a C++ compiler, read a 5 minute tutorial, and instantly make VIP hacks for video games...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Corndog For This Useful Post:

B1ackAnge1 (08-31-2009)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah
    for me the difficultest thing to do was to begin.
    cause i got a crappy compiler and a crappy tutorial.

and after that is was just hard work. (it still is)

Dev-C++ is a good compiler as i said earlier

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    D3D is using DirectX to make in-game menus and chams in most games.
    Goals In Life:
    [X] Become an Advanced Member
    [X]Release a tut on mpgh
    [0]Post 300 posts
    [X]Make a working hack
    [X] Learn c++

Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah
    Quote Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
    IDK if anybody else thinks this is funny, but it amazes me how many people think you can just download a C++ compiler, read a 5 minute tutorial, and instantly make VIP hacks for video games...

i never said i could do that =\
    Im learning the basic lik crosshair and just commands, i reckon itll be a year till i even succed to make a public chamz or anything.
    But still, i know what u mean.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Yeh I know what you mean xD. But I think these guys are dedicated, maybe I'm just an optimist, but I really believe they are. After all when you don't know what ur getting into or have no experience in programming it's natural to hope for the best. I have been programming in JAVA 2 years so I kinda knew it would take a while to learn another language, because I've had experience programming, but even I thought I could perhaps master the basics in month or so, and know I'm even having to rethink my time frame. It will take me 2-3 months just to master the basics so I can use classes and stuff and probably a lot longer to understand the whole concept of "gamehacking" (.dll, d3d9, ASM) aand all that stuff.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    yeah...ur right. but i think some of these people dont want to learn a language just for the fun, or how it will come in handy later. they just want to be able to make hacks after a month long tut.

you cannot imaging all the PM's i get on how to make hacks with C++ after i leeched one hack in the Combat Arms section. people think i made it, and they think it will take 5 minutes to explain how.

Thanks
    yeah...ur right. but i think some of these people dont want to learn a language just for the fun, or how it will come in handy later. they just want to be able to make hacks after a month long tut.

you cannot imaging all the PM's i get on how to make hacks with C++ after i leeched one hack in the Combat Arms section. people think i made it, and they think it will take 5 minutes to explain how.
    LOL. Not really because it might, as you said, come in handy later. I don't really want to make hacks but it would be a added bonus.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired

wat hack u talkin bout cdog?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhhot View Post
    wat hack u talkin bout cdog?
    TNT Hack chams

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Quote Originally Posted by .Kira. View Post
    TNT Hack chams
    haha, ur right, ppl started calling it corndog chams, same with neverborn speed hack even though dark byte made it!!!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Took the words out of my mouth - I always think that when I see threads like that A LOT of people seem to think they can read 1 book or online tutorial and instantly know everything these is to know about software development. (yet if you were to ask, what's a pointer, or the difference between a value type and reference type, a WndProc, message loop, thread etc they'd just stare at you blankly) I've been a software engineer for 15+ years (not counting 'hobby' time for a half-dozen years before that starting out on the old-school Commodore 64 ) and I still don't know everything lol

Some of this hack stuff i look at and go 'huh? how the heck did they figure that out or do that?', yet on the other hand things that are totally second nature to me seems to baffle other people where i'm thinking "how can you not get this if you're able to do this other stuff??"

Then again, even in my job (sr. software dev) I see a lot of what I call 'Copy-Paste' Developers... which are people who really don't know how to program (either at all, or know just enough) but just copy & paste different people's code, have maybe just enough skill to somehow get it to work together and hit the compile button and presto.. new program.

In my mind being a 'copy-paste-dev' is not really being a dev at all. People who get 'stuck' on this level will crash&burn in frustration when dealing with more complex architecture issues or more complex code that doesn't follow whatever 'sample of the day' they found online. It'll help you understand & learn things, but the real test would be to write something from scratch with no copying other people's samples/code. It's something I highly recommend to anyone learning to program. That's when you know you're ready for the next challenge and that you've mastered a certain aspect of software development.

Anyway, Basically it's the same thing I saw through different gaming communities even with simple things like learning mod-tools.. (level editors, game source code etc) everyone is excited to get going and make the next greatest thing, but then once they see how much work is involved or it isn't as easy as they thought it was (or should be in their mind) a lot of people give up.

Not saying that's everyone, but I'd be surprised (but pleasantly so!) if more than 10% of the people who are trying to learn say C++ are still sticking with it 6 months from now. Of course the ones that do usually end up churning out some great stuff , and kudos to those people

In Closing - I think so far from what i've seen here it's nice to see you guys have a group that seems to support & help people take their first steps into the land of compilers etc so thumbs up for that!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Amen to that brotther xD. Programming is science and an art. It takes a lot of hardwork and skill to master and when you mastered it it has already evolved, so your constantly learning, and no one learns the ins and outs of every language, hell that's what documentation is for, but the real power in programming is developing something that is completely new and unique. Copying&pasting and developing a program from scratch is the difference between taking a picture of the MonaLisa and painting it. There's simply no comparison.
    Last edited by why06; 08-31-2009 at 08:42 PM.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

14. The Following User Says Thank You to why06 For This Useful Post:

B1ackAnge1 (09-01-2009)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Quote Originally Posted by why06 View Post
    Amen to that brotther xD. Programming is science and an art. It takes a lot of hardwork and skill to master and when you mastered it it has already evolved, so your constantly learning, and no one learns the ins and outs of every language, hell that's what documentation is for, but the real power in programming is developing something that is completely new and unique. Copying&pasting and developing a program from scratch is the difference between taking a picture of the MonaLisa and painting it. There's simply no comparison.
    I agree with both of you, i would add to that but i suck at speaking.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    man why06, u really know how to explain urself, not a skill i got lol ....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12