Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow

Opcodes and instructions..?

Yo.

I was wondering, the other day when I had CE open. All the instructions are determined by the bytes I think? For example, the no-operation instruction would be 0x90 in hexadecimal.

I'm here to know if instructions like dec inc jmp call etc, have their own specific combination of bytes to make the instruction.

Another question:

If there are combinations of bytes, how would you do something like:
    Code:
    call 0xFFFFFFF
    How would you determine what address to call?
    OR
    Something like:
    Code:
    mov eax,100h
    Would all of this be determined by a combination of bytes?

Sorry if this is stupid, also, don't know if this should be in the assembly section.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidm44 View Post
    Yo.

I was wondering, the other day when I had CE open. All the instructions are determined by the bytes I think? For example, the no-operation instruction would be 0x90 in hexadecimal.

I'm here to know if instructions like dec inc jmp call etc, have their own specific combination of bytes to make the instruction.
    Well yeh. I imagine they all have their own opcodes, what those are specifically I'm not sure.

Another question:

If there are combinations of bytes, how would you do something like:
    Code:
    call 0xFFFFFFF
    Well I imagine the use of certain opcodes let the processor know you are making a call to an address location. Since every asm instructions is well an instruction you see that the opcode has to come first. that's how it knows it accessing an address and not a value.

How would you determine what address to call?
    OR
    Something like:
    Code:
    mov eax,100h
    Would all of this be determined by a combination of bytes?

Sorry if this is stupid, also, don't know if this should be in the assembly section.
    its not a stupid question, I like to talk about asm... wish I knew more. I have a lot to learn too... Hopefully someone more experienced can feel in the details. I didnt do a good job explaining. :l

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    I didnt do a good job explaining. :l
    You did a great job explaining. I just wanted to do a little bit of researching so I can make my own version of Dark Bytes memory viewer in CE.

Now I just need the exact specifications for the instructions.

^^^^^That's a lie actualy, i'm probably still far from being able make such a thing.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    ^^^^^That's a lie actualy, i'm probably still far from being able make such a thing.
    Well you got that right... memory isn't stored as simply as you might think. There's paged and unpaged, memory, but you should be able to get the executable from its stored location on disk... I'm not sure how you would go about reading it.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Quote Originally Posted by why06 View Post
    Well you got that right... memory isn't stored as simply as you might think. There's paged and unpaged, memory, but you should be able to get the executable from its stored location on disk... I'm not sure how you would go about reading it.
    I don't quite understand what you're saying.

Reading the memory specifying what the instructions would be?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    I don't quite understand what you're saying.

Reading the memory specifying what the instructions would be?
    To find out what code is currently being executed I mean, and actually stopping it from executing long enough to see where your at in the asm code, but I guess all you want to do is look at it?

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Oh yeah, baby steps.

First I want to see it.
    Then maybe later on when I have a better understanding of assembly I can try going further. Maybe duplicate the memory viewer in CE.