Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

Beginners Guide - How to make a Private Server v1

Hi,
    I have 2 years of server owning knowledge, so I'll be showing a complete noob, how to start their own Private Server!
    (I won't be focusing on how to start a server on your own computer in this thread)

What is a Private Server?
    A Private Server is a multiplayer Minecraft server which is intended for either just yourself or you and your friends. Private servers aren't too expensive depending on what you will be running (eg. Vanilla? Bukkit/Spigot? Mods?).

What are server versions?
    There are 4 server versions. I personally have more experience of Bukkit and Spigot.

Vanilla
    Vanilla is extremely simple to set up and its recommended you use this if you don't have any plans on adding any plugins (extending the capabilities of normal Minecraft).
    Can I join with a regular Minecraft Client? Yes

Bukkit
    Bukkit is quiet simple but you can get complex with it. You can add plugins and extend the normal capabilities of normal Minecraft. However, if you are planning to use bukkit, look at the Spigot Version.

Spigot
    Spigot is quiet similar to bukkit. However, spigot is more CPU and RAM friendly. Its more light weight and because of recent events that happened in the Minecraft community, bukkit has lost its reputation. If you are planning to use bukkit, don't. Use Spigot!

Mods
    Mods are extending Minecraft way out of its regular capabilities. Mods usually require more RAM as it can be quiet server intensive. However, it completely goes out of the capabilities of plugins (for spigot and bukkit).
    Can I join with a regular Minecraft Client? No

Hosting

Shared Hosting
    Shared hosting is essentials sharing a server with others. So for example, I can run my server on computer1, and you can run your server on the same server but I won't have access to your server files. I haven't had any issues with shared hosting.

Dedicated Hosting
    I highly do not recommend this. Since you are only running a private server (small amounts of people), its not worth it getting a dedicated host. Its also a lot more expensive and more work.

Picking a Host
    There are multiple different hosts. The specs of the server are usually around the same with most well known hosts and it just depends on the location of the server. You want to get a host near where you live so the ping will be lower. I'll suggest a few shared hosts:

Minecrafted
    Pros - Extremely cheap host which starts at $1.99 for 1 GB of RAM
    Cons - Only has one location, which is Philadelphia, PA USA (if you live here, go with this host).

GoliathHosting
    Pros - Still quiet cheap host which starts at $3.50 for 1 GB of RAM
    Cons - Only has 5 locations which are all in America (Seattle, Kansas City, Dallas, Atlanta, New York)

McProHosting
    Pros - Has great support and many different locations around the world (America, Asia, Southeast Asia, Netherlands, Europe, France, Canada, Australia).
    Cons - The price is more expensive at $9.99 for 1 GB of RAM. However, if you plan to run a vanilla server with <5 players, then you can also go with their 256MB plan for $2.49

HostHorde
    Pros - No Pros for a private server (definitely for a public server).
    Cons - Only located in Florida, USA and Netherlands. Price starting at $4.95 for 1 GB of RAM

Requirements of a Private Server
    Vanilla
    You need 256MB of ram to start a vanilla server that can hold about 5 players. Going with a shared host, they usually have all the other computer specifications handled. So you don't really need to worry since it is a private server.

Bukkit/Spigot
    You need 512MB of RAM to start a Bukkit/Spigot server that can hold about 10 players. You can maybe squeeze a few plugins in without feeling lag. If you decide to get 1 GB of RAM server, you can fit about 25 players with a decent amount of plugins without feeling lag.

Mods
    Mods are a lot more sever intensive, so I recommend going with at least 1 GB of RAM. I couldn't tell you how many players you could fit with a 1 GB of RAM server since I haven't really ran a Modded server, but I'd say about 10-15.

Note: For those with a server fetish, I know there is more to consider than RAM, but this is just a private server. Popular hosting companies (the ones I listed) have decent specs.

Setting up the Server After You've Purchased it (Bukkit/Spigot)(Shared Hosting)
    1. Click the Stop Button
    2. Next to Server Jar there is a drop down menu. In that menu you can select what server version you want. You can also download a server version off the authors website and put it in the FTP files. Make sure you name it custom.jar and also rename it in the server jar to custom.jar as well.
    3. Click the files drop down (usually on the left) > Click FTP Server Files.
    4. Download and install Notepad++
    5. Download and install Filezilla > Open Filezilla > Copy the username you see in the FTP Server Files > Paste it in the Username box in Filezilla > Enter the same password for your server into Filezilla
    6. Delete everything file and folder you see in Filezilla.
    7. Go back to your control panel and click start.
    8. After about 2 minutes click stop.
    (Optional 1)9. G back to Filezilla. If not all your friends have a premium version of Minecraft, you can allow them to join. In Filezilla, scroll down and find the file which says server.properties > right-click > View/edit file > Find where it says online-mode and set that to false. This means it will not go through the Minecraft authentication. If you set it to false, I also recommend you set white-list to true. This means only players with a specific name can join. You can also install a password plugin called AuthMeReloaded (if you have bukkit/spigot)
    (Bukkit/Spigot)10. You can go to the Spigot website or the Bukkit website and download plugins. You'll download a .jar file which you put into the plugins folder in filezilla. If you want to put a new plugin into your server, you must do this, then restart the server so it can install. I also recommend you read the plugins decription so you can understand how the plugin works and hwo to configure it. To configure it, let it install then in the plugins folder you will see a new folder as been created. In that folder you can change certain things to get certain results (should be all explained in the plugin description). Most plugins are cross compatible. So bukkit plugins will work on spigot and spigot plugins will work on bukkit.
    (Optional 1)11. If you whitelisted your server then you need to allow yourself and your friends into the server. So what you do is go back to the control panel > click console (usually on the left) > in the command box type whitelist add USERNAME . I also recommend you OP yourself too, so type OP USERNAME .

I'll update this if I thought I may have forgotten something.

Please Rep + Thank if I helped you. It took me a while to think of this and type it up.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nik For This Useful Post:

fortuneeee (12-06-2015),ploppy234 (07-07-2015),xxguyxx (07-07-2015)

Thanks
    nice beginners guide.

Thanks
    looks like you've put alot of work into this, good job

5. The Following User Says Thank You to fortuneeee For This Useful Post:

Nik (12-07-2015)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Quote Originally Posted by fortuneeee View Post
    looks like you've put alot of work into this, good job
    I did and thank you

Thanks
    Very helpful guide. I was wondering if I can host at my home PC since I can't afford a server

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Quote Originally Posted by johnshack View Post
    Very helpful guide. I was wondering if I can host at my home PC since I can't afford a server
    Yes you can. You can use something called hamachi (creates a lan connection between all of you) to play with your friends. I'm not going to make a tutorial since there is so many out there already. Just YouTube How to make a hamachi Minecraft Server.

Just note, the server may be a little resource intensive. Also its best if you have a good internet connection.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Bump for useful information!