• Java

4 9.09%

Thread: C vs C++

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical

Opinion and Help: C vs C++ vs Java

I have a question. In general which programming language do you guys prefer? And which is more suited to the future. Is C++ growing more popular or is C still winning. And as an aside, what do you guys think of Java in relation to C/C++ and the questions above. Thanks.
    Last edited by zeco; 07-19-2009 at 10:29 PM.

Thanks
    C# seems to becomming more popular then c or c++

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Quote Originally Posted by xdiducktapex View Post
    C# seems to becomming more popular then c or c++
    Really? What exactly is C# like, and what is the cause for it's popularity?

Another question, are more programs being made in C, C++, or java (I'm mainly asking for c/c++ but java is a language that can't be ignored)?
    Last edited by zeco; 07-19-2009 at 10:04 PM. Reason: additonal question

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    If i Code i always code with C++..
    it´s the difficultest prog but the best i think.:=)

Thanks
    A lot of C++ is C, but it all depends what your coding, say you want some super fast program doing thousands of calculations a second. I would use asm or C. Other times you need a good interface over performance, maybe you would go with VB(or another language with the same drag n drop gui).

I personally like C++ because it has features like inline asm, makes up for the issues in C(imo) and has the ability to do almost every program I make with out going to extreme difficulties.

krellooo C++ ain't the most difficult go code some brainfuck or asm

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtmattbaker View Post
    A lot of C++ is C, but it all depends what your coding, say you want some super fast program doing thousands of calculations a second. I would use asm or C. Other times you need a good interface over performance, maybe you would go with VB(or another language with the same drag n drop gui).

I personally like C++ because it has features like inline asm, makes up for the issues in C(imo) and has the ability to do almost every program I make with out going to extreme difficulties.

krellooo C++ ain't the most difficult go code some brainfuck or asm
    Thanks for your input, i already know about C++ and the fact you can choose to code using the new features, or just use the C features (almost all C code is valid C++ code, correct?). Which was why i wasn't sure if i should just learn C, or C++. But i just wanted to make sure before i continue learning it that i'm not learning a dying language. By the way, by inline ASM do you mean I can pretty much use assembly code within C++?

P.S. Brainf*** is a crazy and useless language that's just plain messed up. It basically has zero human readability, even Assembly is better >_<

Example, 'hello world' in brainf*** :
    ++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++<<<-]>++.>+.+++++++
    ..+++.>++.<<+++++++++++++++.>.+++.------.--------.>+.

All i can see are fish >_< . It's pretty darn amazing imo.
    Last edited by zeco; 07-20-2009 at 03:57 AM. Reason: P.S.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    I suggest C++ because that is a more modern version of C#
    It has many more features and is much easier to use (somewhat)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zeco View Post
    Thanks for your input, i already know about C++ and the fact you can choose to code using the new features, or just use the C features (almost all C code is valid C++ code, correct?). Which was why i wasn't sure if i should just learn C, or C++. But i just wanted to make sure before i continue learning it that i'm not learning a dying language. By the way, by inline ASM do you mean I can pretty much use assembly code within C++?

P.S. Brainf*** is a crazy and useless language that's just plain messed up. It basically has zero human readability, even Assembly is better >_<

Example, 'hello world' in brainf*** :
    ++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++<<<-]>++.>+.+++++++
    ..+++.>++.<<+++++++++++++++.>.+++.------.--------.>+.

All i can see are fish >_< . It's pretty darn amazing imo.
    All C code should compile in a C++ compiler I'm pretty sure. C/C++ isn't dieing most fps games are coded in C++ if not all(can't think of any exceptions but someone probably has made one), tons of viruses are coded in C/C++ ect. people still use it a lot. Inline asm is directly writing asm to your program. If you wrote __asm { pushad } that should appear in your program.

supernova2131 C sharp is based off C++ so C sharp is newer.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    C# lmao c++ ftw i dont see alot useing C# c Python, Perl, and LISP but if you plan on being a hacker that trys to rob banks and shit learn all -_-

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Java ftw make a copy of rs and make a lot of money.
    [IMG]https://i30.photobucke*****m/albums/c335/Joshcarr2006/tumblr_lz1nrntuZf1qdxcglo1_500_zps0388a33f.gif[/IMG]

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Learn ASM, it owns all.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtmattbaker View Post
    All C code should compile in a C++ compiler I'm pretty sure. C/C++ isn't dieing most fps games are coded in C++ if not all(can't think of any exceptions but someone probably has made one), tons of viruses are coded in C/C++ ect. people still use it a lot. Inline asm is directly writing asm to your program. If you wrote __asm { pushad } that should appear in your program.

supernova2131 C sharp is based off C++ so C sharp is newer.
    But what about other types of programs and applications, is c++ commonplace in general?

Quote Originally Posted by joshcarr2006 View Post
    Java ftw make a copy of rs and make a lot of money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micheltjuh View Post
    Learn ASM, it owns all.
    frankly ASM and Java scare me >_<

Quote Originally Posted by dk173 View Post
    C# lmao c++ ftw i dont see alot useing C# c Python, Perl, and LISP but if you plan on being a hacker that trys to rob banks and shit learn all -_-
    I don't necessarily plan on being a hacker >_>

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad
    Quote Originally Posted by Micheltjuh View Post
    Learn ASM, it owns all.
    I strongly disagree with you. It'd take years to write a crappy game engine in this language. A mix of asm and another programming language is much better.

First of all, C# is managed, and it's a piece of shit because of that. Your not going to see a whole kernel-mode .net framework for driver developers. Hell, you don't even get standard C runtime libraries working with kernel-mode drivers. Secondly, Java runs in a VM, which makes is slow. For each instruction in java, there are probably 2 - 5 instructions executed for the host machine's processor. Lastly, I preffer C++ over C because of the OOP mainly. But I use both depending on the situation.

And sgtmattbaker, VB and C# are pretty goddamn well the same thing. The syntax is different, but they're both slow, crappy, and lean heavly on the .net framework.

C# is becoming more popular, but not with any big projects, and certainly no where near the popularity of C or C++. If windows dies, and linux or mac takes over, the only programmers that aren't fucked, are the C\C++ programmers(ones that don't lean on MFC), and java programmers.(That's excluding the rest of the crappy languages used on that platform)

I suggest C++ because that is a more modern version of C#
    What the fuck are you talkin about boy? That's completely incorrect.
    Last edited by radnomguywfq3; 07-24-2009 at 05:39 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Quote Originally Posted by krellooo View Post
    If i Code i always code with C++..
    it´s the difficultest prog but the best i think.:=)
    Some adjectives aren't meant to be superlative >_>....

Personally I like java, because I found it very easy to learn and it ports to any system, but there is no best language. Im am starting to learn that now. That there is only the best language for the job and that no language is the the Uber Win all Take all. ;P

BTW: I still can't understand ASM.... >_> does anyone know where i could get a good understanding of asm?

Quote Originally Posted by Jetamay
    If windows dies, and linux or mac takes over, the only programmers that aren't fucked, are the C\C++ programmers(ones that don't lean on MFC), and java programmers.(That's excluding the rest of the crappy languages used on that platform)
    Wo_Ot! Still got a job... fk yeh xD.... Java may be slow and clunky, but its around for the long hull :P
    Last edited by why06; 08-07-2009 at 06:41 PM.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Quote Originally Posted by why06 View Post
    Some adjectives aren't meant to be superlative >_>....

Personally I like java, because I found it very easy to learn and it ports to any system, but there is no best language. Im am starting to learn that now. That there is only the best language for the job and that no language is the the Uber Win all Take all. ;P

BTW: I still can't understand ASM.... >_> does anyone know where i could get a good understanding of asm?

Wo_Ot! Still got a job... fk yeh xD.... Java may be slow and clunky, but its around for the long hull :P
    Long Haul you mean? Either way, I've already long since decided to stay with C++, I wasn't going to change my mind in the first place, I just wanted the opinion of others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast