Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool

[Opinion]Boolean Algebra

Does anybody else hate learning it? I've read the chapter over boolean algebra in my ASM ebook and it really sucks. Was anybody else as confused as me first learning it?
    Assembly Programmer

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Boolean Logic is simple. Yeh if you right it out in a bunch of symbols, but if you say it out loud its so easy.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

3. The Following User Says Thank You to why06 For This Useful Post:

NextGen1 (12-05-2010)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    Maybe it's just me getting hung up on the lack of numbers. I'm fine with math but I like to have some numbers to use.
    Assembly Programmer

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Logic is the main "Hidden" core behind every programming language. It is more direct in VB , but it is always there.

I personally love Logic, Especially those Puzzle books.

The Most complete application MPGH will ever offer - 68%

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    Now that I'm looking at it in review it isn't too bad. It was just getting though it the first time. Especially when it started talking about NAND gates to create other gates from.

VB? Really? I didn't use a whole lot of boolean stuff in VB. I think it's going to be more useful in ASM when I have to control everything. Sure, it would sure help to optimize loops and things in other languages but that's about all I can think of.
    Assembly Programmer

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Boolean is found through out the entire language, you just wouldn't know it by looking. But it's there, and important. But I was referring to logic in general
    Last edited by NextGen1; 12-05-2010 at 11:48 PM.

The Most complete application MPGH will ever offer - 68%

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    Well I know it's there since everything can and must be converted into systems of boolean equations to run on the circuits but I was thinking visually. Thanks though.
    Assembly Programmer

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Logic is important to all programming. I don't like learning logic in school either they create a bunch of useless terms and come up with things like linked lists, tree diagrams, and little Oh notation. Instead of just teaching the basic stuff in plain English. Personally I think all the effort creating a formal math and notation for logic only complicates things.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to why06 For This Useful Post:

fuked (12-05-2010),Jason (12-06-2010)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    In my book (I'm doing assembly freelance, not at school) it's talked about different postulates and theorums, simplification, the minterm method, cononical form, product of maxterms, boolean functions with electrical engineering, different gates, combinatorial circuits, half-adders, full-adders, and embedded systems.
    Assembly Programmer

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shark23 For This Useful Post:

Hell_Demon (12-06-2010),NextGen1 (12-06-2010),why06 (12-06-2010)