Thanks

Exclamation [PC only] How to gain insane badass ranks quickly, Legitimately, exploitative-ly...

This is largely an exploit to gain (potentially) an infinite number of badass ranks, which triggers a normal growth of badass tokens. It is not an editor and so once you have carried out the action, the damage done is irrevocable. SO CHOOSE WISELY. I was able to get a million plus badass ranks in about fifteen minutes of doing so...

Things that you will need:
    Cheat Engine: ****************/downloads.php cheatengine(.)org
    A savegame that I have supplied, which I will post a link to...:

I have saved the game in sanctuary, which is where the exploit will be conducted to maximize efficiency. There are two challenges that will be exploited. One challenge is "Yo Dawg I Herd You Like Challenges", a challenge in which 199 challenges have been maxed out, while the other is "Knee-Deep in Brass", a challenge in which 49999 shots have been fired. Both are literally on the verge of completion, which is where the exploitation begins...

[Note. Refer to pictures for help]

Though this can be done multiple times on the same save, I recommend making the file a "read-only" variant. It helps you speed up the process, just in case you screw up, as the file is never saved during the game. When copied to your save folder, right-click it, and tick the box that says "read-only". Done? Lets move on.

Additionally, you may want to conduct this whole process in "windowed mode".

1. Load up borderlands and then the save game you downloaded. [Note: Do not shoot (while in-game)... or you will have to start over]

2. Load up Cheat Engine. Click on the region highlighted in green and scroll to find xxxxx-borderlands2.exe. [Note: the x's stand for a randomly assigned number every time windows loads a program so don't worry about it]

3. In the value region, which is highlighted in red, type "49999" and hit "first scan". Go back into the Borderlands 2 game and FIRE ONE SHOT, and only one shot.

4. Switch back into the Cheat Engine. In the value region now type "50000", and hit "next scan". Double-click the value that appears in the table that says "found".

5. Something should appear in the table at the bottom of the program. Click on the box under that active region, and change the 50000 to 49999 in the value section.

7. If you have followed all the steps correctly, in the box where you had originally typed "49999" and hit "first scan", hit "new scan", then type "200" and hit "first scan".

8. Go into borderlands 2 and fire one shot, and again make sure that it is only one shot. You may have noticed that you get the same challenge again. Don't worry. This is supposed to happen.

9. Switch back to Cheat Engine. In the value region where you typed "200" just moments before, type "201" and hit "next scan". If for some reason you do not get any value, skip step 10 and keep reading.

10. Just like before, under the "found" table, double click the value that comes up, and like before a new line should be added to the table before. Tick the box under the active section of the table and change the "201" to "199" under the value section of the same line.

Now go back into Borderlands 2. Now every time you shoot, you should be gaining 100-200 badass ranks. The only issue with this exploit is that every time you pull the trigger and land the achievement you end up with a customization item in your backpack. What I do is, and it may contain spoilers, go to drop opposite scooter's garage, and face the edge. Each time my backpack gets filled to about 300 items, after shooting that is, I drop 60 or so items of the edge at a time. The game seems to crash, if (1) you have too many items in your backpack (mine crashes at about 400), (2) there are too many items in the area around you, or (3) you drop too many items at the same time.

1. You may want to go the garage...

2. Stand approximately here, turn 180 degrees and jump down to the girder.

3. Jump down, move to the edge, and start shooting... [Keep those guidelines in mind]

4. Have fun!

Credit goes to me...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails
    Cheat Engine Base.jpg  

Cheat Engine Base.jpg  

Cheat Engine Base.jpg  

Cheat Engine Base.jpg  

Cheat Engine Base.jpg  

Scooter.jpg  

Location.jpg  

Girder.jpg  

<b>Downloadable Files</b> Downloadable Files
    Last edited by dbzmaster12; 01-22-2013 at 05:54 AM.

2. The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to dbzmaster12 For This Useful Post:

blarblar00 (03-22-2013),bloblo12 (08-05-2013),bordrelands (07-25-2021),chickenchickenchicken (06-29-2018),cocof (01-23-2013),darkregin2 (01-22-2013),Disho0 (05-15-2019),double helix (01-24-2013),Focus713 (09-23-2018),Graf 666 (01-26-2013),HiddenPass (02-23-2020),JamesJames66 (05-17-2019),jew123123 (10-20-2018),kantspel123 (08-14-2013),Kaotrixx (01-30-2019),KarmaTheAlligator (01-22-2013),lijaloha1 (11-29-2018),machine56 (01-22-2013),OskTosk (03-06-2023),pro5688 (05-05-2019),Reaper_FIN (06-10-2016),sargezh (01-21-2019),screl (04-21-2014),setzher (03-15-2013),sluff (01-30-2013),taranp1995 (02-14-2013),Taterman8816 (02-28-2013),THERGH (01-24-2013),Topspot777 (02-20-2019),xFanat1c (11-14-2016),zponky (04-11-2018)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    In a way it's not an exploit
    You use an external application to do this, you just 'cheat' by changing a game value instead of using a glitch inside the game to do so :P

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Good to know, thanks.

Even better, I've been playing with the different challenges, and the 'Heal Plz' one doesn't give a skin, so you can put that one at 4999999 in association with the Challenge completed one at 199, disable the BA bonuses, get anything that'll give you health regen (be it a relic or skill, works great with Sirens and Mechro), enable the BA bonuses (since you'll probably have some in max health) and just stand there getting extra ranks without getting those hundreds of skins.
    Last edited by KarmaTheAlligator; 01-22-2013 at 04:39 PM.

Thanks
    Fair enough. I just didnt know what to call it. Oh btw karma that is brilliant. I never thought of using "Heal Plz". All you would have to do is take damage. I think i might make a reply to the post with said update, if you dont mind that is, as it is your idea.
    Last edited by dbzmaster12; 01-22-2013 at 10:15 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Sure, go ahead. And like I said, you don't even have to take damage. As long as you have some bonus health that you can turn off and on, it works without you having to do anything else.

Thanks
    anyone know how to spam and exploit the thanks button, ? wanted to give the OP 999999 thanks!!!!!!!!
    omfg, thanks a millionzzz, now i have insane badass ranks, XDDDD

Thanks
    Yeah I didn't even read your full comment and jumped right in the game and figured it out in a minute because I was kind of excited. Your method is tonnes better but there is a drawback. As you probably know the in method I used Cheat Engine forces a value at a certain address. Theoretically, you would be getting 200x badass ranks where x is the health per second, but because the refresh rate of the program (Cheat Engine) being as slow as it is, it you get about 400-600 points a second, which is in no way a bad thing. You get the same amount of output with the "Knee-deep in Brass" Challenge. The shooting method lets you monitor the amount of times you have exploited, just in case you want to revert to a less broken save profile (not to be confuse with save game).

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    At the same time, it takes so many BA tokens to increase your bonuses after a while that even a couple thousand won't make that much of a difference. For example, I had my bonuses at ~90%, and used this method to get about 1100 more. That only brought my bonuses to ~100% (fun fact, the box is too small to fit everything at that point, so I have one bonus % that's invisible now), so it doesn't really break it. You also have the option of not spending those tokens.

Thanks
    Can you make a backup of your profile .bin file

the one you want to actually play games legitimately with.....

And save that somewhere safe....then mess with your Badass ranks all you want---set whatever settings....

and switch between profiles...whenever you want???

or will that screw things up??

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Quote Originally Posted by Unitas19 View Post
    Can you make a backup of your profile .bin file

the one you want to actually play games legitimately with.....

And save that somewhere safe....then mess with your Badass ranks all you want---set whatever settings....

and switch between profiles...whenever you want???

or will that screw things up??
    You can. Keep in mind that whatever skins/heads and BA ranks you unlock with one profile will obviously not transfer to the other. Then just copy the modded one and replace it with the old non-modded one whenever you want.

Thanks
    Thanks for the post.

Are there any downsides to keeping a modded profile, and un-modded profile, as you said was possible? For instance, if my badass were to be reset because of doing this, could I switch back to my old un-modded one, or would that be reset to?

I only want to use it to actually get 10-15 tokens, because I made some (bad) decisions when I first started playing, and would like to redistribute those tokens, and the game has no way of doing it.
    Last edited by ferrari91169; 01-25-2013 at 09:20 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrari91169 View Post
    Thanks for the post.

Are there any downsides to keeping a modded profile, and un-modded profile, as you said was possible? For instance, if my badass were to be reset because of doing this, could I switch back to my old un-modded one, or would that be reset to?

I only want to use it to actually get 10-15 tokens, because I made some (bad) decisions when I first started playing, and would like to redistribute those tokens, and the game has no way of doing it.
    There's no downside to using tokens since you get bonuses in any case, and they're for all characters, so I don't see why you'd call using them a bad decision, even if you didn't put them in the categories you wanted; it's not like the other categories are locked out or anything (and if it's only 15, you're not very far, since you get plenty very fast).

And apart from what I said about the skins, BA ranks and tokens, there's no downside to keeping a backup. The only thing that could interfere is Steam's cloud sync, as it'll keep a backup of your most recently used profile.

Thanks

Amazing, but room for improvement

Quote Originally Posted by dbzmaster12 View Post
    Stand approximately here, turn 180 degrees and jump down to the girder.
    The point goes to how much cheating you want to do with cheat engine

Level one - what you show originally, not bad, but kinda slow by comparison, rather than drop 60 at a time go to a merchant and sell, you can sell your full inventory and dont have to worry about game crashing, and its still only pushing one button

Level two - once you have your original way going, track for how many skins you have in your inventory, do this about 3 different numbers (or untill you get it narrowed down to only 2 addresses in game) change them in the same way you change the bullets (going from 50000 to 49999, just going from 34 skins down to 33, it works beautifully and you can leave it overnight with a rubber band on the mouse (if you have access to an infinity pistol))

Level three - depends on how many badass points you have already, get it up to about 15 or so with the original method then track the badass points as you spend them the same way you narrow down the address of the bullets or skins (lock the badass points at say 7 rather than the bullets fired at 49999) and you can just keep hitting enter and spending the points, this works best if you have a nostromo or something you can program to hit enter a crap ton of times while you are afk, of course you could just hit it yourself as much as you want and it still is the best method i have come up with (or at least been willing to test)

Level four (theory, untested and beyond my willingness to cheat) - the same way you isolate the numbers for the skill, say maximum health, track it spend a badass point and track it again till its isolated, then once its isolated lock it to what ever number you want and in theory it will save it to that number when you save and exit, you can likely do it for all of them at once if you like

Again i give total props to OP because without him i wouldn't be as extremely over overpowered as i am

Ps. sorry for bumping an old thread, but i found it and liked it and i thought others might like to see the improvements i came up with
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails
    Holy badass points.PNG  

Last edited by Velesen; 08-22-2013 at 06:38 PM. Reason: adding a ps