Thread: Build or Buy?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlowbob View Post
    $800 is plenty to build your own PC.

---------- Post added at 03:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 AM ----------

Not sure on the specifics so you'd have to do some research but you can get some Xeon server processors for about the cost of an i5 that have hyper-threading and alot of "enthusiasts" are using them for gaming as well.. I just don't know which processors they're talking about. Xeon ranges from $200 to $2,000.

i'll do some research but its nice to hear what people think and they can help me

Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah
    Pfft XEON sure they might be 200 but then you are talking about a older gen Xeon² dual/quad core. the current version That would exceed the posted i5's/i7's = to a Xeon 39xx series and those cost arround 800USD and you'll end up with either a 6/8 core processor. Xeon sucks because you don't get any benefit from it for gaming. As games still don't use more then 2 physical CPU cores(with the exception that some might work and or the operating system can emulate multiple cores as one big core). Besides he'd need a x79 mobo which makes it more expensive than it should be. + if you do want a xeon get a mobo with dual cpu slots as this is recommended for this kind of cpu. to work allong side a 2nd one. thus making it a complete server.
    DigiDrawing|+ ( (Elfen Archer) )
    Link:
    https://www.mpgh.net/forum/148-showro...en-archer.html

@ Anime Section,Otaku/weeabo (orz.) @Graphics Section, Novice DigiArtist

neuest gift from Yura~Chan:
    https://bakyurayuu.deviantar*****m/#/d372taw
    2nd Place MOTM#9 Theme: CharMods - Combat Arms [No - Thanks] button
    come on you know that don't want to push that ordinary button

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuro Tenshi View Post
    Pfft XEON sure they might be 200 but then you are talking about a older gen Xeon² dual/quad core. the current version That would exceed the posted i5's/i7's = to a Xeon 39xx series and those cost arround 800USD and you'll end up with either a 6/8 core processor. Xeon sucks because you don't get any benefit from it for gaming. As games still don't use more then 2 physical CPU cores(with the exception that some might work and or the operating system can emulate multiple cores as one big core). Besides he'd need a x79 mobo which makes it more expensive than it should be. + if you do want a xeon get a mobo with dual cpu slots as this is recommended for this kind of cpu. to work allong side a 2nd one. thus making it a complete server.
    I believe the Sandy Bridge Xeon's with hyper-threading cost a little bit more than a Ivy Bridge i5. A MUCH BETTER bargain for him than an i7 since he will be running VMs. And Xeons perform just fine for gaming.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah
    I believe the Sandy Bridge Xeon's with hyper-threading cost a little bit more than a Ivy Bridge i5. A MUCH BETTER bargain for him than an i7 since he will be running VMs. And Xeons perform just fine for gaming.
    for vm's that might be true but still ... the difference with sandybridge compatible mobo's is that they usually don't support PCI 3.0 (and SATAIII). I won't say that they don't work with games but yeah he still needs to get 2 Xeon processors to do what he wants. cauze a single will probably run 3 max. also atleast 16gb would be required for a fully working vmstation.

Besides with the release of the 4th gen iCore processors (and lines a like, xeon, centurion, celeron) at the end of this year/next year he'd be running really old hardware in such a short time period. *You gotta love the equation that nvidia (and intel) made about shrinking architechtures*

Owyeah I won't say that all of this will be true, it's just my observation and experience. My i7 beats the heck out of my lil. bro's xeon (altough he could have added a second one if he wasn't so damn cheap and actually started buying parts instead of begging/waiting for them... glad that my 9800gtx+ didn't fit in the case)
    Last edited by Kuro Tenshi; 05-13-2013 at 10:14 PM.
    Link:

Thanks

for vm's that might be true but still ... the difference with sandybridge compatible mobo's is that they usually don't support PCI 3.0 (and SATAIII). I won't say that they don't work with games but yeah he still needs to get 2 Xeon processors to do what he wants. cauze a single will probably run 3 max. also atleast 16gb would be required for a fully working vmstation.

Besides with the release of the 4th gen iCore processors (and lines a like, xeon, centurion, celeron) at the end of this year/next year he'd be running really old hardware in such a short time period. *You gotta love the equation that nvidia (and intel) made about shrinking architechtures*

Owyeah I won't say that all of this will be true, it's just my observation and experience. My i7 beats the heck out of my lil. bro's xeon (altough he could have added a second one if he wasn't so damn cheap and actually started buying parts instead of begging/waiting for them... glad that my 9800gtx+ didn't fit in the case)
    Oh..
    My friend has i5 and 6 GB of RAM and he can run 3 VM's working properly ..
    i have an Intel Pantium R 2.90 Dual core
    and i can run just 1 xD
    With an i7 and 16 gb I'll run probably 5 or more..

Thanks

PCI3.0 is still pointless as GPUs haven't even maxed out 2.0 bandwidth yet.

I'm not saying that Xeon is a superior option, it's just cheaper than buying an i7 as he was asking if he should get and he probably wouldn't even notice the difference in performance.

And buying a build now won't make it really old when Haswell releases. Now I know you are just fucking retarded.. Some of the highest benchmarks and enthusiasts run a 2500K. As far as I know, Haswell has no significant performance gains than the Ivy. It runs on less wattage and supports up to 3100MHz RAM (which is overpriced even for servers).. Calling an Ivy Bridge very old is retarded. The only person anyone who knows what they're talking about to buy a Haswell is their mobile processors for those sexy new Ultrabooks with superior battery life.
    Last edited by Jlowbob; 05-14-2013 at 09:38 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah
    PCI3.0 is still pointless as GPUs haven't even maxed out 2.0 bandwidth yet.

I'm not saying that Xeon is a superior option, it's just cheaper than buying an i7 as he was asking if he should get and he probably wouldn't even notice the difference in performance.

And buying a build now won't make it really old when Haswell releases. Now I know you are just fucking retarded.. Some of the highest benchmarks and enthusiasts run a 2500K. As far as I know, Haswell has no significant performance gains than the Ivy. It runs on less wattage and supports up to 3100MHz RAM (which is overpriced even for servers).. Calling an Ivy Bridge very old is retarded. The only person anyone who knows what they're talking about to buy a Haswell is their mobile processors for those sexy new Ultrabooks with superior battery life.
    Hmm idk people seem to experience like a big decrease of preformance when running a gpu with pci 3.0 support on a 2.0 slot. It's about the same as the ammount of preformance loss when 2 gpu's are running in a SLi config.

About the cpu's it's basicly my experience with the cpu's I had in my possesion. I really hated the older mobile i5's, or rather the laptops mobo which ran the turbo boost and energy saving modes at the same time. So all I might have written is just bogus :X
    Link:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Quote Originally Posted by -Nix View Post
    OK Guys thanks for advice btw what u mean by this? hyperthreading ..
    Im thinking that i could reach 1k $ build soon ... >.>
    Should i take Intel i7 now?
    or AM3+ with 8 Cores.. Whats better? :P

btw want something what can run 5-8 VM's and every PC game on Ultra :P
    what game u runing..........
    success,trades,sells,and buys :
    1+ vouches for VI
    1+ vouches for xXMuRpHXx
    1+ vouches for Xmen*
    1+ vouches for sosunluck
    1+ vouches for chad911
    1+ vouches for Vencreas
    1+ vouches for IsReady
    1+ vouches for CandaFrost

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SliverBullet View Post
    what game u runing..........
    Multi CF's and GTA 5 when it comes .. BF3 .. :P

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Multi CF's and GTA 5 when it comes .. BF3 .. :P
    intel i7 with 8 core try to get like 32 gb or 24 gb...........
    1+ vouches for VI
    1+ vouches for xXMuRpHXx
    1+ vouches for Xmen*
    1+ vouches for sosunluck
    1+ vouches for chad911
    1+ vouches for Vencreas
    1+ vouches for IsReady
    1+ vouches for CandaFrost

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SliverBullet View Post
    intel i7 with 8 core try to get like 32 gb or 24 gb...........
    8 Core? o.O

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    8 Core? o.O
    1 per cow and 2 gb
    1+ vouches for VI
    1+ vouches for xXMuRpHXx
    1+ vouches for Xmen*
    1+ vouches for sosunluck