Thanks

Anti spam bot code or client or somethin

Im sry but sometimes i just enjoy playing the game without /ignoring 20 people, wish there was a way i wouldent have to worry about this issue and beable to talk in the nexus again without ignoring a million people, plz help lol, sounds soo noobish plz help rofl

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Funny, I've seen requests like this but this thought never occurred to me till I read this post.

Most people who spam messages spam a set string over and over. So what one can do, in addition to blacklisted terms (a feature flyrocket's ODom proxy already has), is write a routine that tests to see if a person repeated the same text within a certain amount of time, say 30 seconds or so. If they have, simply ignore the message by prohibiting it from displaying on the screen. If a person has been flagged for repeating a message make sure to reset the timer so that if the person again repeats the same string in the next 30 seconds it will ignore that one too.

@flyrocket, this feature doesn't seem like it would be too hard to code. It would be a nice addition to combat spam.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Quote Originally Posted by nilly View Post
    Funny, I've seen requests like this but this thought never occurred to me till I read this post.

Most people who spam messages spam a set string over and over. So what one can do, in addition to blacklisted terms (a feature flyrocket's ODom proxy already has), is write a routine that tests to see if a person repeated the same text within a certain amount of time, say 30 seconds or so. If they have, simply ignore the message by prohibiting it from displaying on the screen. If a person has been flagged for repeating a message make sure to reset the timer so that if the person again repeats the same string in the next 30 seconds it will ignore that one too.

@flyrocket, this feature doesn't seem like it would be too hard to code. It would be a nice addition to combat spam.
    Hmm, interesting idea. I have an idea of how to go about this without having to store a ba-zillion text strings into memory, i'll give it a shot this weekend. Meanwhile, I want to combat the Account in Use issue first.

I am pretty positive it isn't an issue with closing the server connection's socket because I even incorporated a while loop to only exit if socket.isClosed().
    I'll figure it out eventually.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flyrocket View Post
    Hmm, interesting idea. I have an idea of how to go about this without having to store a ba-zillion text strings into memory, i'll give it a shot this weekend. Meanwhile, I want to combat the Account in Use issue first.

I am pretty positive it isn't an issue with closing the server connection's socket because I even incorporated a while loop to only exit if socket.isClosed().
    I'll figure it out eventually.
    I honestly think it's the actual server messing up because I get acc in use with or without a proxy, the same amount

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nilly View Post

And spammers will create messages which change just a few each time to counter attack this filter... good idea anyway..

A good and simple start may be an optional "block messages from people who dont have an unique name"...because most of the spambot are named "Rilr, Laen", etc.
    We can always block the others using the /ignore. This blocking should only be activated in nexus and purely optional.
    The drawback is : you will not able to be able to talk with people without unique name :/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JustAnoobROTMG For This Useful Post:

bogdanks95 (10-04-2012)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Ya I know people will make spammers that change the text a little each time. I still feel it's better than nothing. Funny how spammers will try to target the people who don't want to see their spam.

Thanks
    You are right as always. I think all ideas are good enough to fight spammers