Thread: I need help.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sneaky

Question I need help.

This is less of a debate and more of recommendation page.

I am in a sticky situation. My parents have attempted to raise me in the church. Specifically traditional Lutheranism. As a kid, this was fine. But as I grew older, I began to question the church, still as a believer. If science shown to me in textbooks at school have answers, why cant the church have a simple, concrete answer?

And so I began to doubt, eventually becoming what I am today, an agnostic atheist. Here is the problem. At the beginning of 4th grade, my mother 'felt like god was talking to her' pulling me out of school and into homeschool. Now I must admit it is good being able to wear pajamas, and sleep in. But once a week I go to a tutorial. A flamboyantly christian tutorial, with obnoxiously christian peers. This wouldn't be a problem, except for the fact they are replacing real science textbooks with shit like 'exploring gods creation through physical science'.

I am legitimately worried I am not receiving a full education. At least I get to spend 3+ hours a day working on programming, but thats it.

So my question is, what are some good real science textbooks. Preferably readable online, so as to hide it from the fire and brimstone that would be sure to come if my parents found out.

They dont have to be curriculum science textbooks, just good explanations of things like evolution or biology or chemistry.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by oioichipsahoy; 07-31-2015 at 02:32 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Search a regular highschool curriculum, find alternates to the book or older versions, buy them at half-price books or look up pdfs online.

For general information about evolution, sites like the smithsonian are pretty good.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sneaky
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post
    Search a regular highschool curriculum, find alternates to the book or older versions, buy them at half-price books or look up pdfs online.

For general information about evolution, sites like the smithsonian are pretty good.
    Alright, thanks.
    My edit signature is acting a little wanky. Will fix when possible.

Visit Goals:
    50 [o]
    100[o]
    500[x]
    1000[x]

Thanks
    My Mood
    Asleep
    Quote Originally Posted by oioichipsahoy View Post
    I am legitimately worried I am not receiving a full education.
    This is a perfect example of how some families seriously shove religion down their children's throats. *sigh

Search up Khan Academy, it's a free world-class video tutorial on how to do algebra, calculus, etc... He does a good job explaining and goes from basic math to hard calculus. He's got 3000+ videos and it's all free. My brother uses it and he's majoring in Actuarial Science and has an internship. It does a good job teaching. You'll likely get a better education there than what those people are teaching you.

Also science wise, if you want to read through textbooks online here's a good site to find a shitload of them (some are bad but most are good core curriculum):

https://physicsdatabase.com/book-list-by-title/
    Last edited by Hunter Jr.; 08-02-2015 at 09:16 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sneaky
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarnix View Post
    This is a perfect example of how some families seriously shove religion down their children's throats. *sigh

Search up Khan Academy, it's a free world-class video tutorial on how to do algebra, calculus, etc... He does a good job explaining and goes from basic math to hard calculus. He's got 3000+ videos and it's all free. My brother uses it and he's majoring in Actuarial Science and has an internship. It does a good job teaching. You'll likely get a better education there than what those people are teaching you.

Also science wise, if you want to read through textbooks online here's a good site to find a shitload of them (some are bad but most are good core curriculum):

https://physicsdatabase.com/book-list-by-title/
    Thanks! I have heard of khan academy before bu never looked into it.
    My edit signature is acting a little wanky. Will fix when possible.

Visit Goals:
    50 [o]
    100[o]
    500[x]
    1000[x]

Thanks
    Just read normal school books

Thanks
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Hey there so many free courses out there in thr internet all we needed to do is to find which suits us...for example edx,coursera and udemy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oioichipsahoy View Post
    This is less of a debate and more of recommendation page.

I am in a sticky situation. My parents have attempted to raise me in the church. Specifically traditional Lutheranism. As a kid, this was fine. But as I grew older, I began to question the church, still as a believer. If science shown to me in textbooks at school have answers, why cant the church have a simple, concrete answer?

And so I began to doubt, eventually becoming what I am today, an agnostic atheist. Here is the problem. At the beginning of 4th grade, my mother 'felt like god was talking to her' pulling me out of school and into homeschool. Now I must admit it is good being able to wear pajamas, and sleep in. But once a week I go to a tutorial. A flamboyantly christian tutorial, with obnoxiously christian peers. This wouldn't be a problem, except for the fact they are replacing real science textbooks with shit like 'exploring gods creation through physical science'.

I am legitimately worried I am not receiving a full education. At least I get to spend 3+ hours a day working on programming, but thats it.

So my question is, what are some good real science textbooks. Preferably readable online, so as to hide it from the fire and brimstone that would be sure to come if my parents found out.

They dont have to be curriculum science textbooks, just good explanations of things like evolution or biology or chemistry.

Thanks in advance!
    Well if you want to be a programmer when your older and getting to learn that correctly, missing out on some science probably ain't gonna hurt that much.