Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Undertale; Is it good, or not?

Thinking about playing it and I was told by whoever plays it to not watch playthroughs and experience it myself.

I wanna hear people who have played it give me an honest opinion.
    danke schöen
    there's nothing left for you here.

Thanks
    Honestly, I don't even know what it is.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill Bates View Post
    Honestly, I don't even know what it is.
    Earthbound gameplay with a bullethell-dodging mechanic when fighting. You can play the game slaying everyone or play the whole game killing no one.

I personally enjoy the innovation in this game, but that alone does not make a game good. Which is why I made this thread, I suppose.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    i just login to say:

One of the best games i have ever played. And the characters, fucking amazing.

Also if you finish the game, itleast twice. or don't care about one-ending spoiler. since there are many endings.

Watch: Dundertale (Type on youtube) (Donkey plays undertale. and oh god is it funny/epic. best video i have ever seen him do, i played the game after watching the video. there are many endings, One of the best, sad that i watched the video before playing since i knew a lot about the game, but nontheless, it just made it funnier since i knew nothing. which is a price i paid with a smile _

never liked rpgs, but this game damn. epic.
    Last edited by LordKevo; 10-25-2015 at 08:56 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by LordKevo View Post
    i just login to say:

One of the best games i have ever played. And the characters, fucking amazing.

Also if you finish the game, itleast twice. or don't care about one-ending spoiler. since there are many endings.

Watch: Dundertale (Type on youtube) (Donkey plays undertale. and oh god is it funny/epic. best video i have ever seen him do, i played the game after watching the video. there are many endings, One of the best, sad that i watched the video before playing since i knew a lot about the game, but nontheless, it just made it funnier since i knew nothing. which is a price i paid with a smile _

never liked rpgs, but this game damn. epic.
    A lot of that was confusing

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Well. This game honestly took me by surprise.

When I first saw this game, I didn't really think much of it, just another generic 8-bit RPG filled with memes, so I didn't really ever consider playing it. Then, a friend of mine gifted me it, and I didn't want to be rude and put it off, so I thought 'hey why not give it a shot?'

And so I did. Frankly I was surprised at the bullethell aspect of dodging enemy attacks in an RPG game, and I don't really mind bullet hell so I welcomed it. Boss battles are also quite unique as well. They each have their own gimmick that you have to do, IF you want to befriend them. (tip: if you want to, there is always a way to spare absolutely every enemy you encounter in the game, no matter what. You sort of have to do that on your first playthrough if you want to see the True Ending). In terms of attacks, they each put in their own unique twists in an attempt to hinder you. Frankly I really liked how all the bosses mixed it up in terms of attacks and gimmicks. Enemies are pretty interesting too

In terms of story, how should I put this? It takes a while to find its own voice, and the story seemed generic with a mild humourous twist at first. But then I got to the final few parts of the game, and the story REALLY picked up from there. VERY rarely have I ever played a game where I managed to legit feel something for the story and it's characters, and Undertale's finale did exactly just that.

NPC's are also pretty unique. A lot of them I found pretty funny, although some of the attempted humour may not appeal to some people, as they may think it tried too hard. Nevertheless, almost all the NPCs are likeable and have clear distinct personalities.

The soundtrack. The soundtrack is, quite frankly, one of the best aspects of this game. I have not found one track in here that I dislike. Just about every single one I've heard, I've loved. The best ones are the boss themes, a lot of them are a mix between retro and modern. Toby pulled off this combination in an absolutely excellent way, putting this game's soundtrack in my list of the best soundtracks I have ever heard in any videogame

Overall, would I reccomend it? It depends. If you don't mind bullet hell and retro style graphics, then this is definitely the game for you. If you don't like either as much, then I'm not sure if you will enjoy this game, but I still advise to try it out for the story/characters. This is definitely one of the better games I played this year, and I can't wait to see what'll happen if I do different things during different runs.

8.5-9/10