Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

The question of choosing headphones

Hey, guys!

I want to buy a new headphones and I don't know which one I should buy. Now, I'm looking at Audio Technica ATH-M50x headphones. And I would be grateful to know opinion about this headphones. Maybe some audio geeks here?

Feel free to advice other headphones.
    Last edited by Ayanami Rei; 01-03-2016 at 08:46 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Just don't buy turtle beach, i've bought from them several times and they don't last long, despite having great quality

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    One of the resident audio dudes here: ATH-M50's are a great first choice, and one of the best headphones to start with.

Alternate choices would be V-Moda Crossfades, Sennheiser HD 598s, and Beyerdynamic DT770's.

M50's are solid all around, and will definitely get you started in the direction of HQ audio.

V-Moda Crossfades are built sturdier, and have more bass, but are less neutral and therefore don't display the audio in its 'truest' form.

HD 598's are full open-back cans, so they aren't very good at keeping background noise out (or your noise in), but are more natural sounding and neutral.

Beyerdynamic DT770's are great all around phones, that are extraordinarily comfortable, and have great sound (though the burn-in time is long.)

Source: Owned all of these headphones.
    Last edited by Aborted; 01-03-2016 at 10:01 AM.
    You were seeking strength, justice, splendour.
    You were seeking love.
    Here is the pit, here is your pit.
    Its name is Silence..

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aborted For This Useful Post:

Ayanami Rei (01-03-2016),Charion (01-03-2016),wan (01-03-2016),I Don't Love You (01-03-2016),[MPGH]Psychotic (01-03-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aborted View Post
    One of the resident audio dudes here: ATH-M50's are a great first choice, and one of the best headphones to start with.

Alternate choices would be V-Moda Crossfades, Sennheiser HD 598s, and Beyerdynamic DT770's.

M50's are solid all around, and will definitely get you started in the direction of HQ audio.

V-Moda Crossfades are built sturdier, and have more bass, but are less neutral and therefore don't display the audio in its 'truest' form.

HD 598's are full open-back cans, so they aren't very good at keeping background noise out (or your noise in), but are more natural sounding and neutral.

Beyerdynamic DT770's are great all around phones, that are extraordinarily comfortable, and have great sound (though the burn-in time is long.)

Quoting this for future reference thanks for the information as I'll soon be in the market for some HQ audio. Thank you!

Super User since 02.02.2020
    Global Moderator since 09.23.2017
    Moderator since 09.01.2016
    Minion+ since 07.22.2016

Marketplace Minion since 06.09.2016
    Trove Minion since 06.06.2016
    Middleman since 04.21.2016
    Social Engineering Minion since 02.03.2016
    News FO Freelancer From 11.08.2015 to 07.23.2016
    News FO Head Editor From 08.23.2015 to 11.08.2015
    News FO Head Editor From 07.19.2012 to 08.11.2014
    MPGH News and News FO Founder
    Programming Minion From Unknown to 04.23.2013
    Minecraft Minion From 09.19.2012 to 04.23.2013
    Member since 05.13.2012

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post

Quoting this for future reference thanks for the information as I'll soon be in the market for some HQ audio. Thank you!
    Might also want to consider a Headphone Amp or a DAC;
    Because most PCs, phones, tablets don't put out even nearly enough Ohms to get the full sound out of most headphones.

I currently use a Schiit Valhalla on my audio PC, but cheaper options are available, such as the Bravo V1 and Bravo Ocean (which is what I use for my gaming PC).
    Last edited by Aborted; 01-03-2016 at 10:29 AM.
    You were seeking strength, justice, splendour.
    You were seeking love.
    Here is the pit, here is your pit.
    Its name is Silence..

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post

Might also want to consider a Headphone Amp or a DAC;
    Because most PCs, phones, tablets don't put out even nearly enough Ohms to get the full sound out of most headphones.

I currently use a Schiit Valhalla on my audio PC, but cheaper options are available, such as the Bravo V1 and Bravo Ocean (which is what I use for my gaming PC).
    Or just get an amp/dac combo. Makes life a lot easier (especially if you get the right shit).
    I recommend https://www.jdslabs.com/products/48/o2-odac-combo/ for home use, and https://www.oppodigital.com/headphone-amplifier-ha-2/ for travelling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave84311 View Post
    I hate you colin. I really hate you.

Thanks

Been wondering about what new headphones to get for a while, thanks for the information.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Get a pair of M50's for $100.

THE EYE OF AN ADMINISTRATOR IS UPON YOU. ANY WRONG YOU DO IM GONNA SEE, WHEN YOU'RE ON MPGH, LOOK BEHIND YOU, 'CAUSE THATS WHERE IM GONNA BE

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you lose.” - Dave84311

HAVING VIRTUAL DETOX

Thanks

Thank you <3

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bowlcut View Post
    Or just get an amp/dac combo. Makes life a lot easier (especially if you get the right shit).
    I recommend https://www.jdslabs.com/products/48/o2-odac-combo/ for home use, and https://www.oppodigital.com/headphone-amplifier-ha-2/ for travelling.
    IT cost so much

Thanks
    Got lucky with my Turtles. X12's have lasted a year+ <3 Quality is still here.

Thanks
    I've personally had vmoda crossfades, M50s, and skullcandy aviators, but I currently wear Beats Studio 2.0 wireless in the silverish color. Beats used to be all hype for a shitty product that isn't even worth wearing for the label, but I kid you not, once apple bought out Beats, they have been producing decent stuff. I looked everywhere, you can't find a pair of wireless headphones that sound or look near as good as the ones beats makes for the same price or cheaper. Not to mention they are usb chargeable and they charge so fast it's unbelievable.

Thanks
    Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro with a AMP/DAC combination.
    Last edited by Terror; 01-03-2016 at 04:19 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Never get wireless headphones v.v
    I just bought some and regretted it
    Previous Names

Zavior
    Xavier
    Eternity
    Azathoth
    Eternity (again)
    Add me on IM

Please press +Rep or Thanks if you find my work or found something I said helpful

"Endless Void."

Thanks
    My Mood
    Hungover
    i just purchased some plantronics back beat pro bluetooth headphones and i couldnt be happier there a little pricier but if ur lucky you can get them on amazon for less then 200 and there amazing quality over ears and very comfortable and the bluetooth sound quality is great and when plugged in wityh cords its remarkable couldnt be happier with these!!!!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired
    There is no question. M50s or Crossfades.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast