Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy

Listen up Aussie stoners

So I just finished a report on marijuana usage in Australia, while doing this I've seen hundreds of cases of people who could've got off the hook, however didn't know their rights and the laws around it. So it's time for me to educate you all.

I'm not sure this is in the right section, if not, I apologise but I can't find the weed thread.

So let's go through the laws in each of the states and territories so you know when you're actually breaking the law.

Keep in mind if you're dealing, you're fucked no matter where you are.

Also keep in mind that ignorance of the law is not a defence; so read this before you blaze up without knowing what you're doing.

ACT

- In the Australian Capital Territory, possession of marijuana of up to 25 grams, or two non-hydrophobic plants is decriminalised. Anything over is a criminal charge. If you're caught with <=25 grams, or <=2 you'll receive a $100 fine with 60 days to pay it back. You can avoid the fine by going to a drug assessment and treatment program.

Anything over 25 grams, or 2 non-hydrophobic plants is a criminal charge and you run the chance of having a criminal record.

DECRIMINALISATION DOES NOT MEAN LEGALISED. Decriminalisation means you'll face civil penalties and not criminal penalties.

E.g. You can get a hefty fine, but no criminal record and gaol (jail to Americans) time.

South Australia

The possession of up to 100 grams of marijuana, 20 grams of hash, one non-hydroponic plant or cannabis smoking equipment leads to a fine from $50 to $150 with 60 days to expiate

Northern Territory

Adults found in possession of up to 50 grams of marijuana, one gram of hash oil, 10 grams of hash or cannabis seed, or two non-hydroponic plants can be fined $200 with 28 days to expiate rather than face a criminal charge.

Those are states with it decriminalised; with the other states, it's a different story.

In the rest of Australia, any cannabis offence is a criminal offence. If someone is charged with possession of cannabis in these areas and found guilty, they could receive a large fine or jail time and will have a criminal record. However, it's unlikely that someone caught with a small amount of cannabis for the first time would receive a criminal conviction.

New South Wales

If someone is caught with up to 15 grams of cannabis in New South Wales, they may receive a ‘caution’ from the police officer, which includes information about the harms associated with cannabis use and a number to call for drug-related information or referral. Only two cautions are allowed to be given to the same person.

Victoria

A police officer may give someone a caution and offer them the opportunity to attend a cannabis education program if they are caught with no more than 50 grams of cannabis. Like New South Wales, only two cautions are allowed to be given to the one person.

Tasmania

Someone found in the possession of up to 50 grams of cannabis can be given a caution up to three times in ten years. For the first caution, information and referral is provided. A brief intervention is given with the second caution. On the third and final caution, the offender must be assessed for drug dependence and attend either a brief intervention or treatment program.

Queensland

Police officers in Queensland offer someone the option of diversion if they are found in possession of up to 50 grams of cannabis. This is the only state in which diversion must be offered to a minor cannabis offender – elsewhere, it is up to the police officers whether or not they offer diversion or charge the offender. The diversion includes a mandatory assessment and brief intervention program. Only one offer of diversion is allowed per person.

Western Australia

As of August 2011, individuals in possession of not more than 10 grams of harvested cannabis and/or a used smoking implement who have no prior cannabis offences will be required to attend a Cannabis Intervention Session (CIS) within 28 days or receive a cannabis conviction for the offence. All cannabis cultivation offences will attract a criminal conviction.

Majority of this was copy and pasted from different sites and summarised because I know majority of people won't read it. However it's important you
    KNOW YOUR RIGHTS

If enough people use this I'll make more for other countries.

Now get blazed fam.
    Last edited by %&Ursgart23__faf; 07-11-2016 at 05:42 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to %&Ursgart23__faf For This Useful Post:

Silent (07-12-2016)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    I must move to Australia, i'm scared of massive poisonous animals that are out to kill you tho

Thanks
    My Mood
    Chatty
    makes me wonder every day, is weed worth some jail time and fine?

and it's always yes

Thanks
    ya our laws are fucked