Thanks
    My Mood
    Crappy

Getting a new drive tomorrow. Windows help.

I'm going to make this as short and simple as possible.

I have Windows 7 CD. Installed it on current drive long time ago. When windows 10 came out, I upgraded for free. I don't have Windows 10 installation and would like to have Windows 10 on new drive. I even have a Windows 10 Enterprise key (not sure if it works. won in a giveaway here some weeks ago). I want a fresh start, windows only on new drive and make old drive as temporary secondary drive and move whatever I want to move onto new and once done, throw old drive away.

My question is, how can I do what I explained above? The windows part, I'm pretty sure I know how to do secondary drive.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Lets confirm somethings, i got a little messy reading it.

So you want to transfer your windows to a different drive...?

Thanks!
    Wanna advertise your shop here? PM me!

LIKE Grand Theft Auto (GTA)? Wanna get help? enjoy the game? JOIN the official GTA group page! (CLICK GREEN BOX BELOW)

#1 Dumbasses on MPGH.
    Knives don`t even kill a fraction compared to guns so don`t give me the knife crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dab1996426 View Post
    The Only Way You Can Have PC Over Console Is If You Can Build A PC With Better Hardware Than The Console At The Same Price, Which You Can't.
    "I Mean Sure Yeah It Makes Sense, But It's No Damn Lifesaving Medal", Makes Sense That You'd Have A Medal For Being Justifiably Injured, But It's Not The Same As Earning A Medal That Involves Saving Someones Life
    "Once Again, Correcting Someones Improper Grammar Is Not An Attack On Their Person."

Thanks
    My Mood
    Crappy
    Quote Originally Posted by Drama View Post
    Lets confirm somethings, i got a little messy reading it.

So you want to transfer your windows to a different drive...?

Thanks!
    Basically yeah. Just the windows not any other files. I want to transfer specific files like pictures and movies onto new drive but that's it.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    So just put all your none Windows 10 related files on a different drive for temp, reinstall windows on the drive you wanna move it to. Remove windows from the drive your transferring it off from and just move the files back on to the original drive?

Sounds sloppy but it's kinda easy and there's a much easier way i'm sure!

- - - Updated - - -

Also may i know exactly what drive we are talking here? An SSD?

Thanks!

LIKE Grand Theft Auto (GTA)? Wanna get help? enjoy the game? JOIN the official GTA group page! (CLICK GREEN BOX BELOW)

#1 Dumbasses on MPGH.
    Knives don`t even kill a fraction compared to guns so don`t give me the knife crap.
    The Only Way You Can Have PC Over Console Is If You Can Build A PC With Better Hardware Than The Console At The Same Price, Which You Can't.
    "I Mean Sure Yeah It Makes Sense, But It's No Damn Lifesaving Medal", Makes Sense That You'd Have A Medal For Being Justifiably Injured, But It's Not The Same As Earning A Medal That Involves Saving Someones Life
    "Once Again, Correcting Someones Improper Grammar Is Not An Attack On Their Person."

Thanks
    My Mood
    Crappy
    So just put all your none Windows 10 related files on a different drive for temp, reinstall windows on the drive you wanna move it to. Remove windows from the drive your transferring it off from and just move the files back on to the original drive?

Sounds sloppy but it's kinda easy and there's a much easier way i'm sure!

- - - Updated - - -

Also may i know exactly what drive we are talking here? An SSD?

Thanks!
    I only have 1 drive right now. A shitty like 8 year old HDD. This is where I have everything stored on my PC.
    Tomorrow I'm getting a 1TB WD Blue HDD. It will have nothing on it. This is the drive I want to just install windows on and make a fresh start.

I basically want to install Windows 10 on the 1TB WD Blue HDD I'm getting tomorrow and move a small amount of files (pictures & movies mainly) from my current drive to this one.

My IT friend is suggesting burning a new install on my 8GB USB stick that I have and go from there. I just don't know where I could get that from.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiixtor View Post

I only have 1 drive right now. A shitty like 8 year old HDD. This is where I have everything stored on my PC.
    Tomorrow I'm getting a 1TB WD Blue HDD. It will have nothing on it. This is the drive I want to just install windows on and make a fresh start.

I basically want to install Windows 10 on the 1TB WD Blue HDD I'm getting tomorrow and move a small amount of files (pictures & movies mainly) from my current drive to this one.

My IT friend is suggesting burning a new install on my 8GB USB stick that I have and go from there. I just don't know where I could get that from.
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...nt-hard-drive/

- - - Updated - - -

Give that a look.

#1 Dumbasses on MPGH.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired
    Give that a look.
    Basically what Drama gave you. It works 10/10. An alternative way would be to do a Backup (Acronis) and then restoring it onto your new drive, so that you have Windows on that drive.
    When people say they have built their own PC.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Walkyr For This Useful Post:

Drama (08-07-2016)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Very EASIER solution ^ i honestly got really tired out typing out all that info for the last guy on how to do a GPU swap lol. Didn't feel like typing out instructions.

#1 Dumbasses on MPGH.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired
    Very EASIER solution ^ i honestly got really tired out typing out all that info for the last guy on how to do a GPU swap lol. Didn't feel like typing out instructions.
    I feel ya. Giving instruction links may seem a bit unprofessional but makes it so much easier!
    When people say they have built their own PC.