Thanks

Short anime review #1 - Tokyo Ravens

I thought I might as well do this for anime that I finish to spark some conversation and see what other people think about certain anime or help people find new ones etc.

[IMG]https://myanimelist.cdn-den*****m/images/anime/13/75094.webp[/IMG]
    Tokyo Ravens
    Genres: Comedy, Super Power, Supernatural, School, Shounen
    Studios: 8bit
    Aired: Oct 9, 2013 to Mar 26, 2014
    MAL synopsis
    Onmyoudou magic was once a powerful technique used by the Japanese during the second World War in order for them to gain the upper hand and establish their nation as a formidable force. But Japan was quickly defeated after the revered onmyouji Yakou Tsuchimikado caused the "Great Spiritual Disaster," an event which plagues Tokyo to this very day. As a result of this mishap, the Onmyou Agency was established in order to exorcise further spiritual disasters and combat the demons that would make their way into the world.

Now, Onmyoudou has become far more modern, simplified, and refined for use in a wide variety of applications such as medicine and technology. However, not everyone is able to utilize the magic, as is the case with Harutora, a member of the Tsuchimikado's branch family. Despite an old promise to protect Natsume, the heir of the Tsuchimikado's main family and Yakou's supposed reincarnation, as her familiar, Harutora has no talent and chooses to live a normal life instead. But when a prominent member of the Onmyou Agency attempts to recreate the same experiment which led to Japan's downfall, he decides to make good on his word and fight by Natsume's side.
    Note this is all on a "my opinion basis" and it's not based on facts.
    I found this anime a while back and I finally got around to watching it. This anime started at a good pace as the main characters have little to no power for the first few episodes (typical for a shounen) The character development in this show is actually fairly good in my opinion, as the MC gains more powers he learns more about some of the female characters (3 of them) and how they all end up liking him. There were some fairly intriguing plot spins with one of the main female characters and stuff like that. If i had once complaint it would be the lack of development on Touji, Harutora's best friend. Other then the small "ogre arc" if you can call it that he didn't do a whole lot. And the anime is a tad slow when they first get to the school and they are learning new techniques etc. Overall I give this show 6.5 out of 10 because the lack of character dev and the less then satisfactory ending IMO.

In the future i might have a template I fill out for something similar and might go a bit more in depth but this is just a test thread to see how it's received.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    I gave it a 5 on MAL.

• Joined - May 2013
    • Premium - September 2016

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelatin-chan View Post
    I gave it a 5 on MAL.
    Any reason you gave it such a low rating other then it being a "nothing special" Anime?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaar View Post

Any reason you gave it such a low rating other then it being a "nothing special" Anime?
    Nah, on MAL 5 is supposed to be average.

• Joined - May 2013
    • Premium - September 2016

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelatin-chan View Post
    Nah, on MAL 5 is supposed to be average.
    In my opinion it's low :/

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaar View Post

In my opinion it's low :/
    yeah mal's scoring is weird cause in my opinion at least I think of average as a 7.

For me tokyo ravens was enjoyable but I don't remember feeling an actual good "conclusion".
    NightOwl

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flex1178 View Post
    yeah mal's scoring is weird cause in my opinion at least I think of average as a 7.

For me tokyo ravens was enjoyable but I don't remember feeling an actual good "conclusion".
    The ending was left do they could do a S2. But i don't think the anime never got popular enough to get another season.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad
    Sounds pretty bad, most liking wont watch.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gexis View Post
    Sounds pretty bad, most liking wont watch.
    It's not really a much watch or anything, but it kept me entertained for the time I was watching it.

Thanks
    I really liked it, watched it a week or so after the release. Seemed like a typical romance type anime but I'm fine with that.