Thread: Ask me anything

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vauntage View Post
    I've been skinny fat for quite a while. I've tried my hand at dieting and exercising, but can't seem to get rid of my belly fat. Any tips?
    Cardio .

I'll live forever and ever with Lee Mijoo
    Thanks
    My friend says the Earth isn't flat but I say it's flat, can you help prove my friend that our planet is flat ?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Interesting thread.. Well I have a question. About 6 months ago I injured my lower back by wrongly doing deadlift. I don't know how it's called in english but I have disc deformation I guess. I've already been in hospital and they numbed my pain but every time when I have to pick something up or stretch my back hurts like hell, of course I try not doing anything that can damage my lower back even more. Is there any possible way to eliminate pain at all?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elison View Post
    Interesting thread.. Well I have a question. About 6 months ago I injured my lower back by wrongly doing deadlift. I don't know how it's called in english but I have disc deformation I guess. I've already been in hospital and they numbed my pain but every time when I have to pick something up or stretch my back hurts like hell, of course I try not doing anything that can damage my lower back even more. Is there any possible way to eliminate pain at all?
    Possibly do some sort of physical therapy or you may be permanently stuck with this restriction on lifting.

On topic, does weight lifting, benching/curls help increase metabolism?

Thanks
    Hello there, what are your thoughts on weight training compared to calisthenics or bodyweight training?

I have experimented with both sides of the coin however slightley leant towards to bodyweight side. Both sides I was adding on pounds. When training with weights I always felt so stiff and solid, no flexibility. But with bodyweight I feel so much more agile, improved balance and coordination.

What are your thought on weight training compared to bodyweight training?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by lucaa120 View Post
    Hello there, what are your thoughts on weight training compared to calisthenics or bodyweight training?

I have experimented with both sides of the coin however slightley leant towards to bodyweight side. Both sides I was adding on pounds. When training with weights I always felt so stiff and solid, no flexibility. But with bodyweight I feel so much more agile, improved balance and coordination.

What are your thought on weight training compared to bodyweight training?
    There is a limit to the amount of muscle and speed at which you can put on mass doing bodyweight training. Both training methods work but it all depends on your personal goal. Weight training will yield the best/fastest results for mass building as hypertrophy work is much easier to achieve and target specifically. Both training methods emphasise different things, it's best to incorporate both types of training into your routine for optimal programming.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Possibly do some sort of physical therapy or you may be permanently stuck with this restriction on lifting.

On topic, does weight lifting, benching/curls help increase metabolism?
    Yes it will. Having a higher percentage of lean body mass will also raise your resting metabolic rate. Hence why you'll eat more when consistently training.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elison View Post
    Definitely recommend going to see a physiotherapist in person. They can properly diagnose and prescribe you an appropriate rehab program.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydney-Life2009 View Post
    Hey all,

You've probably seen me lurking around the health and fitness section and posting here and there. So who am I?

I'm an occupational therapist/physiotherapist that deals with injury rehabilitation and also double as a trainer. I have education in rehabilitation (duh), diet/nutrition, mental health rehab and sport science. So essentially what sets me apart from most posters here is that I have a degree and scientifically backed advice/practice.

Now I won't do what I do for work here because I'm not getting paid for it here, but I will answer questions that you have to a sufficient degree. Any questions about training/diet/supplements I can answer and if you feel like anything else, go for it.

I won't provide any training regimens because a simple google search can show you a multitude of workout options, however I can point you in the direction of whatever goal you want.
    How to look good in a lazy way

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadorusk View Post
    How to look good in a lazy way
    Eat well. Don't even need to work out to look healthy. It's in your best interest to do some sort of exercise though.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Can you eat fruits on weight losing diet?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    @Sydney-Life2009
    Any tips to gain weight? Seems like I have a fast metabolism, and it is disappointing in a way since I can't go to gym properly due to having a weaker body.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    There is an extremely low chance that you have a metabolism outside of the average. Numerous studies have been done in regards to the percieved metabolism in subjects and their actual metabolic physiology. You are simply not eating enough. (This is the case 95% of the time for almost all "hard-gainers"). Take this from me, I used to think I had a fast metabolism but in reality, I wasn't measuring or eating a caloric surplus.

So look up your TDEE (google TDEE calculator) and look up your maintenance requirements. Eat a couple hundred calories about that. Use a calorie tracking app (e.g. myfitnesspal) and see how much you eat in a regular day. From there, slowly begin to add on food. Milk, peanut butter, constant snacks like nuts etc. will help build up your calories. Eat more carbs, make sure you work out. Just use whatever weight you can actually do, if it's the lightest possible weight, so be it. Everyone starts somewhere. I couldn't bench your standard olympic bar when I started.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JUUL Pods View Post
    Can you eat fruits on weight losing diet?
    Yeah you can, fruits are a healthy way to spike your insulin to help nutrient absorption. Just don't be excessive.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Scared
    I've been running consistently about 2-4 times a week for over a year but my run time has barely improved and i still run super short on my breath probably 5-8 minutes into the run, now i'm not overweight or skinny. I'm 5'7'' 137lbs and around 17.5% bf i also have good shoes, comfort clothes and insoles for my (really) flat feet, and i have had a history of asthma. I dont show any symptoms of asthma in any activities i do EXCEPT after a long run ill start wheezing, sometimes it'll go away sometimes i just use my old inhaler just to get rid of the wheezing.

Not sure how to explain the kind of pain I feel after the 5-8 minutes of running but its kind of like my lung capacity has decreased and continuing to jog/run makes me light-headed with a lot of pain throughout the body.

I also just bought some testosterone/steroids and have been taking a lot of supplements most nights. (because im pretty bad at maintaining my macros, supplements: magnesium, d3, potassium, zinc, and iron)

literally EVERYONE has told me its "running is all mental" and "you just gotta run more" but ive been running consistent for a year and nothings changed so please help.

Basically with all the information i've given you, my question is: HOW TO DECREASE MY RUN TIME FOR A 1.5 MILE RUN.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    @Sydney-Life2009

Thanks for the advices mate, will try to pursue my way to get some more weight.

Another question in my mind, any advice on not being picky when it comes to food? I do not eat vegetables a lot, possibly not at all. Possibly only fry potatoes and limit other ones. I do manage to survive, and am quite a eater when it comes to fruits though. Do you think it has a lot of affect on weight? I mean I am sure it does since I do lack proteins etc, but I'll probably continue to get the needed proteins,vitamins from fruits.
    Last edited by Hentai; 04-18-2018 at 03:59 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Hentai View Post
    @Sydney-Life2009

Thanks for the advices mate, will try to pursue my way to get some more weight.

Another question in my mind, any advice on not being picky when it comes to food? I do not eat vegetables a lot, possibly not at all. Possibly only fry potatoes and limit other ones. I do manage to survive, and am quite a eater when it comes to fruits though. Do you think it has a lot of affect on weight? I mean I am sure it does since I do lack proteins etc, but I'll probably continue to get the needed proteins,vitamins from fruits.
    If you're trying to put on weight fast, eat any and everything you can. If you plan on doing a clean bulk with consistent exercise and working out, try to squeeze in what GREEN vegetables you can. They contain good micronutrients that you need for healthy day to day function. Fruits are good for you but don't eat them in excess. 2-4 serves a day is more than enough. Try to eat them after your meals to help boost nutrient digestion and absorption. Try to put on most weight through a healthy combination of 35/45/20. 35% proteins through lean meats etc., 45% through carbs e.g. potatoes are good, rice is fantastic, bread too. 20% fats e.g. aim for healthy fats, extra virgin olive oil etc. Avoid transfats.

A strategy you can use is to break up your day into numerous meals. Instead of 3 big meals, eat 8 small ones.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bou View Post
    I've been running consistently about 2-4 times a week for over a year but my run time has barely improved and i still run super short on my breath probably 5-8 minutes into the run, now i'm not overweight or skinny. I'm 5'7'' 137lbs and around 17.5% bf i also have good shoes, comfort clothes and insoles for my (really) flat feet, and i have had a history of asthma. I dont show any symptoms of asthma in any activities i do EXCEPT after a long run ill start wheezing, sometimes it'll go away sometimes i just use my old inhaler just to get rid of the wheezing.

Not sure how to explain the kind of pain I feel after the 5-8 minutes of running but its kind of like my lung capacity has decreased and continuing to jog/run makes me light-headed with a lot of pain throughout the body.

I also just bought some testosterone/steroids and have been taking a lot of supplements most nights. (because im pretty bad at maintaining my macros, supplements: magnesium, d3, potassium, zinc, and iron)

literally EVERYONE has told me its "running is all mental" and "you just gotta run more" but ive been running consistent for a year and nothings changed so please help.

Basically with all the information i've given you, my question is: HOW TO DECREASE MY RUN TIME FOR A 1.5 MILE RUN.
    Do you have a proper training program? Doing running with no goals or objective in mind will lead to little improvement. Before you start doing any sort of training I advise you to check with your GP or doctor that you're good to run, describe to him what you feel after 5-8 minutes and let them clear you to train first. You shouldn't be to the point of feeling faint.

Now with supplements, do keep in mind that certain vitamins and micronutrients being suggested will conflict or decrease the absorption of others. So I'd advise spreading out how you take your supplements. Also try to stick to foods before resorting to them. Also be careful with anabolic steroids (if that's what you have), depending on the type you have, different effects and risks associated.

Onto the training: start integrating interval training (google any decent interval training program). Utilise FARTLEK (google this), you essentially change your pace and speed at random to vary your distance-runs. Practice the beep/pacer test (multi-stage fitness test). Do hill sprints. Do laps with increasing intensity. All these can help improve your running.
    Last edited by Sydney-Life2009; 04-18-2018 at 08:34 AM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sydney-Life2009 For This Useful Post:

boy (04-18-2018),Hentai (04-18-2018)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Scared
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydney-Life2009 View Post
    Do you have a proper training program? Doing running with no goals or objective in mind will lead to little improvement. Before you start doing any sort of training I advise you to check with your GP or doctor that you're good to run, describe to him what you feel after 5-8 minutes and let them clear you to train first. You shouldn't be to the point of feeling faint.

Now with supplements, do keep in mind that certain vitamins and micronutrients being suggested will conflict or decrease the absorption of others. So I'd advise spreading out how you take your supplements. Also try to stick to foods before resorting to them. Also be careful with anabolic steroids (if that's what you have), depending on the type you have, different effects and risks associated.

Onto the training: start integrating interval training (google any decent interval training program). Utilise FARTLEK (google this), you essentially change your pace and speed at random to vary your distance-runs. Practice the beep/pacer test (multi-stage fitness test). Do hill sprints. Do laps with increasing intensity. All these can help improve your running.
    I wouldn't say I have a proper training program but I have been a poolee at my function for over a year and I run with recruiters, every once in a while they make us stop and do some form of exercise on the sidewalk (pushups, planks, etc) but we dont keep track of our runtime or distance, we do that only once a month. and How should I go about asking my doctor if I'm good to run? because I took a Pulmonary Function test before and they've checked my lungs and said they were fine about a year ago.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast