Thanks

Post "Do I Need VPN?" Read Here First

First of all, let me tell you this: if you are trying to do any type of pentesting/hacking/whatever you're doing, simply using a VPN will NOT suffice. There is no if/and/but's. It is not enough.

To cover the basics:
    1. What is known as a "VPN" to the general public is typically considered an app/program that acts as the middleman between you and whatever website you are trying to access. Goes like this: You -> VPN -> end destination(s).
    2. Can someone see what I am browsing if I am using a VPN? Yes, only the VPN server you are using.
    3. What does it mean when a VPN does not keep logs? It means that the company/app you are using claims that they do not store any of your browsing/online activity.

Lets go a bit deeper into the above categories
    For one, if you are trying to be completely anonymous online, you have to hide your [personal] public IP from everyone. Wtf does this mean? It means do not do illegal shit from home if you do not know advanced networking. We all have a public IP anytime we use the internet -- it is the router's "address" on the internet aka the IP every website will see when you visit them.
    The good thing about VPNs is that they hide your public IP from the internet because websites will see the VPN server's public IP instead of yours.
    The bad thing is that the VPN server itself can still see what IP address you are connecting to them from.

How can I use public Wi-Fi to do stuff online?
    Buy an extended range wireless adapter aka an antenna so that you can reach Wi-Fi connections from further.
    Go to your local Starbucks/public Wi-Fi and connect from outside, where there are no cameras.
    Open up your VPN and start browsing. Now the public WiFi cannot see what you are browsing/doing, therefore cannot block websites. They can only block common VPN servers' IP addresses. This is why paid VPNs are better.

What's so bad about my VPN seeing what you do? Logs.
    These giant companies advertising privacy + security are the same ones that keep track of every single thing you do when using their service. If they are US-based, I can guarantee they are keeping logs. Otherwise, they would not be able to operate here. You can say what you want, but US-based VPNs ALWAYS keep logs. Logs are probably the main way people get prosecuted and only hard evidence that can be used in court, other than dumb mistakes like using personal data.

How the hell do you stay anonymous/safe if VPNs do not work?
    There are many ways you can increase your anonymity:
    - Set up a virtual machine, use one per case. This means once you do what you wanna do online, get rid of that virtual machine and create a new one. VirtualBox and VMware Workstation are great free products.
    - Learn about networking and set up a secure environment at home. Rather than using a router/modem alone, get a decent firewall and put it in front of it. Upgrade your ISP's modem to something that has more capabilities/features (Nighthawks are great). Even though modems already have all of these features integrated, they are very basic and limited. Buying a firewall allows you to gain more control over your traffic, set up a safer network, and worry less about people watching you. There are apps like Glasswire that give you these features.
    - DO NOT USE PERSONAL INFO. If you are online and doing something you are not supposed to....why would you make an email address with your real name, address, etc.? There are so many apps and resources that allow you to sign up for stuff and make accounts without having to link your personal info (temporary emails, phone numbers, etc.).
    - Do not use the same password everywhere. Trust me, I have seen A LOT of people get screwed because they think this is just generic advice that they hear on the news all the time. It is as easy as someone using a bruteforce attack to sign in to your old chat room account back from 2010 and learning a little more about you. Now they know what password works, your first+last name, birthday, email address, etc. From there, they just work up the ladder and get to where they need to be.
    - Use Bitcoin. Yes, it works. Do not use your own credit card to buy that gram of weed you've been wanting so bad on the "dark web".

Since nobody is really safe, should I even use a VPN?
    Yes, extra precautions are always better than nothing. In some cases, people have no choice because they live in countries that restrict internet access. A VPN would be their only solution in that case. A VPN can actually come in useful in other ways than just anonymity.
    For example, did you know that if you use a VPN that's located in another country, you can download games early and/or exclusive content? Is a YouTube video not available in your region? VPN
    Want to get ahead of the competition and download the new game early? VPN

TL;DR: If your end-goal is to be completely anonymous, a VPN will never be enough. It does not matter how good of a VPN it is. You have to take extra precautions. Before doing anything illegal online, always make sure you know what you are doing and use precaution. What you thought was a funny/harmless prank on someone can end up landing you time in jail. Laws around the world are still way behind and it's very hard to fight cases regarding cybersecurity. Learn some networking/security and start experimenting.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gill Bates For This Useful Post:

Damosa (02-27-2020),kXg (03-05-2020),wezeli (06-05-2020)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Thank you for the guide, short and quick to the point.