The Oscars 2020
Earlier this February we saw the 92nd Academy Awards, marking the end of awards season. Like the nominations, the winners were very predictable this year. Joaquin Phoenix got best actor in a leading role, for his role as Arthur Fleck in ‘Joker’. Not a big surprise. Renee Zellweger, famous for ‘Bridget Jones's Diary’ (and not being able to move her face due to plastic surgery), won best actress in a leading role for ‘Judy’. Brad Pitt finished the awards season strong, adding the Oscar to his collection for his role as Cliff Booth in ‘Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood’. Laura Dern got the Oscar for best actress in a supporting role for her part in ‘Marriage Story’. The Best Picture award went to Bong Joon Ho’s ‘Parasite’. This is the first time a foreign-language film has won Best Picture.

Sources
Oscars

Written by: Gnavling
Date: February 23rd, 2020

What I’m Watching
As a film student, I’m always watching a variety of media from different eras. In this segment I’m going to go through some of my favourites I’ve watched this month.

Rebel Without a Cause (1955)
Most people have probably already seen this one. But if you haven’t? Do it. It’s the movie that immortalized James Dean as the American rebel. It’s one of the main reasons why his 16-month professional movie career is still relevant today. It’s an amazing story about handling death as a teenager. It’s about relationships between teenagers and parents.

What We Do in the Shadows (2014)
This might be one of the best mockumentaries ever made. Taika Waititi and Jermaine Clement made this comedy and Waititi’s amazing writing really shines through. The story follows four vampires who are flatmates. It shows how they live their lives and handle the problems of adapting to modern society. It’s extremely funny and the storytelling is on point.

Love Is Blind (2020-)
This has been my guilty pleasure this month. It’s just easy to watch reality-tv. But it’s not actually that bad. It’s Netflix’s new dating show and the concept is different from what you might be used to. The contestants talk to each other through a wall and they are only able to see each other if they decide to get married. It’s not amazing. It’s not a great scientific experiment. It’s reality television. But it’s enjoyable.

Wanted: Dead or Alive (1958–1961)
Steve McQueen is Josh Randall, the American bounty hunter. It takes place in the Wild West of the 1870s. Every episode is a new bounty. It’s the show that partly inspired the fictional show ‘Bounty Law’ from ‘Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood’. Steve McQueen is an amazing actor and even though he’s still mentioned a lot, not many people actually watch his stuff. It’s great storytelling and very easy to enjoy. It might be old, but give it a chance. You won’t regret it.

Written by: Gnavling
Date: February 23rd, 2020