Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad

General News - 2nd Edition - Intel Teases Upcoming 11th Gen ‘Rocket Lake’ Desktop CPU

Intel Teases Upcoming 11th Gen ‘Rocket Lake’ Desktop CPUs

Intel teases upcoming 11th Gen ‘Rocket Lake’ desktop CPUs

Intel is aiming to steal some of the spotlight from AMD's Ryzen 5000 series with a few early teasers about its 11th Gen Core CPU architecture, which is expected to be released in Q1 2021.

The new Core i9, Core i7, Core i5, and Core i3 family codenamed 'Rocket Lake' will be a significant break from the past few generations of Intel, all of which have only been iterative refreshes of the 6th Gen 14nm 'Skylake' architecture. In its attempts to build smaller 10 nm CPUs, Intel has had to deal with several setbacks and disappointments, culminating in the unparalleled durability of 14 nm while AMD has been shipping 7 nm chips for over a year now.

Rocket Lake will also be a 14nm product line, but 'Cypress Cove' is the codename of the latest architecture it will use. In essence, this is a 14nm backport of the more recent 10nm 'Sunny Cove' core architecture, which formed the basis of the 10th Gen 'Ice Lake' laptop CPUs last year. Rocket Lake will also feature the launch of the brand new Xe integrated graphics hardware from Intel. Still, it is not clear if this means that Intel will return to all desktop CPUs to provide integrated graphics.

Compared to the 10th Gen, Intel recommends a "double-digit percentage IPC performance gain," referring to instructions per clock cycle as an efficiency measure. Compared with existing offerings, graphics power is also said to be 50 percent higher. There are also absolute performance estimates and benchmark outcomes to be disclosed. With Hyper-Threading, top-end Rocket Lake models will sport a maximum of 8 cores. In comparison, AMD currently offers up to 16 cores in its mainstream lineup, and the latest 10th Gen Core i9-10900 K from Intel has 10 cores.

Support for up to DDR4-3200 RAM, up to 20 PCIe 4.0 CPU lanes, more versatile overclocking parameters, VNNI acceleration for deep learning applications, native USB 3.2x2 (20Gbps), and enhanced media encoder logic are other criteria and platform-level improvements. Along with 11th Gen Core desktop CPUs, new motherboards with Intel 500-series chipsets will launch. They should still be backward compatible with existing 400-series motherboards.

Abstract: Intel is set to release their newest and latest 11th Gen desktop CPUs, which has increased performance with the new processor core architecture, new Xe graphics architecture, increased DDR4 speeds, support for CPU PCIe 4.0 lanes, integrated HDMI 2.0 for enhanced display, CPU attached storage (Intel Optane Memory), new overclocking features and capabilities integrated CNVi & Wireless-AX, integrated USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 and so much more.

Written by: Banana
    Date: 2020-10-29
    Last edited by DragonyCat; 11-17-2020 at 07:22 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DragonyCat For This Useful Post:

[MPGH]Flengo (11-17-2020)