Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical

Why do you think free will does or doesn't exist?

I personally do not think currently there is such a thing. However, I know that we haven't fully understood the brain, so I will still be openminded about it. Liberalism's whole idea is about individualism and free will (essentially). Its a age old question but I did learn some new things from Noah Herrari on it.

It would be very cash money of you if you would link some sources for me to read. Thanks.
    Previous Names

Zavior
    Xavier
    Eternity
    Azathoth
    Eternity (again)
    Add me on IM

Please press +Rep or Thanks if you find my work or found something I said helpful

"Endless Void."

Thanks
    It's a combination of both, we are tied to our psyche but how tied down we are is honestly up to each individual. For me, it does exist because I don't believe in fate, I think we decide our own fates. I've always tried to live unfettered but I still know that my actions are still bounded to some sense of reality. All the actions I make, stem from all my past experiences and memories. So yes, while I'm acting of my free will, I'm still tied down to my mind. Everybody makes choices, but some fall imprisoned by their own paradigms of thinking so their choice seems like obedience or non free willed but it's still a decision, a choice. So I don't believe it's absolute or one or the other. I'd say everything has an opposite, always two sides to the same coin.
    Last edited by InCognito; 01-18-2021 at 04:18 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Quote Originally Posted by InCognito View Post
    It's a combination of both, we are tied to our psyche but how tied down we are is honestly up to each individual. For me, it does exist because I don't believe in fate, I think we decide our own fates. I've always tried to live unfettered but I still know that my actions are still bounded to some sense of reality. All the actions I make, stem from all my past experiences and memories. So yes, while I'm acting of my free will, I'm still tied down to my mind. Everybody makes choices, but some fall imprisoned by their own paradigms of thinking so their choice seems like obedience or non free willed but it's still a decision, a choice. So I don't believe it's absolute or one or the other. I'd say everything has an opposite, always two sides to the same coin.
    Interesting. Free will for me is a conscious decision. If I make a unconcious decision then its not really free will. Animals make decision all the time but they don't know what they just did. They are reacting not thinking their actions out. So, for me in that sense free will doens't exist.
    Previous Names

Zavior
    Xavier
    Eternity
    Azathoth
    Eternity (again)
    Add me on IM

Please press +Rep or Thanks if you find my work or found something I said helpful

"Endless Void."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternity View Post

Interesting. Free will for me is a conscious decision. If I make a unconcious decision then its not really free will. Animals make decision all the time but they don't know what they just did. They are reacting not thinking their actions out. So, for me in that sense free will doens't exist.
    Personally for me, my theory how decisions are made are based on 3 things. Head, heart, and gut. When someone makes a decision whether it's unconscious or not, I still believe it's made either through emotions(heart), logical thinking(head) or instinctual habits. What type of person you are and who you are as a person usually decides what is your common decision making factor. Personally for me, my decisions are USUALLY made purely by instincts or logic. I usually do first, worry about the consequences later. Repressing my emotions is easy, so more often than not, I almost never use it to make decisions. I guess what you're trying to say is, instinctual actions aren't considered free will? That's also an interesting view point but I disagree simply because I still believe it's a choice. It's possible IMO to overcome your instincts and change them, but most people aren't capable of that. For example, I was beat to shit as a kid and abused by my mom but because of that, I choose to never want to hit my kids or yell at them. I'd assume it's safe to say that most people who do get abused, show similar tendencies as their parents. You could say this is a instinctual habit. Everyone comes from similar or different circumstances, but everyone navigates life differently to those circumstances. You can't always change external forces but you can ALWAYS change internal forces.
    Last edited by InCognito; 01-18-2021 at 04:59 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to InCognito For This Useful Post:

Matthew (01-20-2021)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bored
    A bit of A, bit of be. We'll never know, at least most likely not within our lifetimes.
    Fear the old blood.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish
    We have free will, as much as society lets us. This varies by country and culture.

I personally feel free but as I age the stresses of life weigh me down.

THE EYE OF AN ADMINISTRATOR IS UPON YOU. ANY WRONG YOU DO IM GONNA SEE, WHEN YOU'RE ON MPGH, LOOK BEHIND YOU, 'CAUSE THATS WHERE IM GONNA BE

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you lose.” - Dave84311

HAVING VIRTUAL DETOX

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    When you're hungry and there's a mcdonalds and a wendys side by side, you're free to decide which one to go into to get food. It ultimately comes down to your preferences and life experiences. The universe is complicated but that doesn't mean you have to complicate it.

VIP Support // May 2011
    CF Minion // January 2012
    Newsforce // August 2012
    Minion+ // March 2013
    Moderator // August 2014
    Former Staff // January 2015
    General Minion // July 2015
    Publicist // December 2015