Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed

Build a new gaming PC 2 weeks ago, worked fine until 3-2 days ago.

I will emphasis it with this, I am in no hurry to fix the said computer that I used to game on for 2 weeks, however I would like to know how the hell did it broke.

Here are the PC parts in question (at the time of the problem occurred):
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
    16GB of DDR4 Ram Corsair Vengeance
    Nvidia RTX 2070 8GB
    Corsair TSX750M
    Asus TUF Gaming B450M-PLUS II

Here is the small (hopefully summarization):
    2-3 days ago, my PC would randomly go into this very strange mode where it went to "sleep" but moving the mouse, pressing the keys on the mouse/keyboard wouldn't wake it up, and after restarting the PC, it would restart on it's own after 5-10 minutes being able to use the PC normally, then it was "resolved" for about a day, then around 7-8 PM 2 days ago the PC would restart on it's own again, then 5-10 minutes thereafter it would go into this mode, resulting never posting again / booting.

Here is what I have done:
    Swap out my GPU from RTX 2070 to Nvidia GeForce 970, still nothing.
    Swapped out my TX750M to some "cheaper" PSU that I had in streaming PC, still nothing.
    I have tried to downgrade the bios to the date when they first started supporting 5000 series CPU's, I have also tried to clear CMOS, take out the battery, and etc.

Another thing I have done is do really soft crypto mining, I did stress out the CPU/GPU, but it was still usable, and the crypto mining tool that I used was "NiceHash" - I also did soft overclock on Wraith cooler, nothing serious. But then I returned to default settings because I saw no reason to overclock when I have no experience with it, and I don't want to risk my PC breaking (which ended up happening anyways).
    Last edited by Charion; 04-30-2021 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Removed the admin/mod moving thing.
    Reputation power: 57
    If I helped you in any way or shape of form, it's always appreciated to thank or give a rep!

| [ Rules ] | [ Market Place ] | [ Scammers Grave ] | [ Report a scammer ] |

Achievements:
    News Force - 08-23-2018 - 10-02-2018
    Middleman - 05-09-20 - 19-12-2020
    Former Staff - 19-12-2020 - On-going

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Charion For This Useful Post:

Asgeirr (05-05-2021)

Thanks
    Idk could be a few things maybe. I'm not a comp expert or anything but why not share my thoughts.
    So maybe you downloaded something bad, a virus. Or maybe your OS is bad. I'd just reset your computer, it clears everything but maybe it'll work. Considering the computer works I believe it's software messing with it.
    A GPU isn't necessary so don't see that being the problem.
    Hmm overclocked the cpu? Ehhh I wouldn't have done that for mining lol, not worth the risk. GPU is replaceable and not needed, CPU kind of the brain so if that breaks it all breaks... So maybe burned it out? Idk.

Thanks
    If it's not posting at all; you broke a component, software issues resulting in no-posts are so very scarce these days that it's almost never the case.
    I'd try finding someone with an AM4 motherboard where you can check if your cpu/gpu are still functioning (just swap em in, see if it boots fine, shutdown, swap em out again).
    If they both work, which I assume they do, considering getting a no-post usually requires a bit more damage, I'd buy the same exact motherboard, swap it with yours, and see if that gets your pc to at least post; at which point I'd return the motherboard that wasn't necessary anymore (you'll probably still have warrantee for your motherboard if it's damaged this soon).
    If that doesn't work, you have 2 dead PSU's (highly unlikely).

Basically; start component swapping, only reliable way to fix hardware imo.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsunebi View Post
    If it's not posting at all; you broke a component, software issues resulting in no-posts are so very scarce these days that it's almost never the case.
    I'd try finding someone with an AM4 motherboard where you can check if your cpu/gpu are still functioning (just swap em in, see if it boots fine, shutdown, swap em out again).
    If they both work, which I assume they do, considering getting a no-post usually requires a bit more damage, I'd buy the same exact motherboard, swap it with yours, and see if that gets your pc to at least post; at which point I'd return the motherboard that wasn't necessary anymore (you'll probably still have warrantee for your motherboard if it's damaged this soon).
    If that doesn't work, you have 2 dead PSU's (highly unlikely).

Basically; start component swapping, only reliable way to fix hardware imo.
    GPU's still work and so do PSU's, getting a new motherboard/ram/psu/cpu next week and to test things on the cheaper / vise versa. getting x570 this time.
    Last edited by Charion; 05-07-2021 at 09:14 AM.
    If I helped you in any way or shape of form, it's always appreciated to thank or give a rep!

Achievements:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charion View Post

GPU's still work and so do PSU's, getting a new motherboard/ram/psu/cpu next week and to test things on the cheaper / vise versa. getting x570 this time.
    Hey, save yourself a lot of trouble and test the RAM first. Please check your motherboards QVL list and make sure the RAM you bought is on there.
    Here's the LINK

Let me know how it goes. I had the same issue, my PC was working great for 2 months and all of a sudden nothing. I was pulling my hair, I called ASUS as I thought it was the mobo and the first thing they asked me is about the RAM. I bought the correct RAM and worked ever since. Very strange as I never encountered any issues like this before, but that was the issue.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Quote Originally Posted by ShephardN7 View Post
    Hey, save yourself a lot of trouble and test the RAM first. Please check your motherboards QVL list and make sure the RAM you bought is on there.
    Here's the LINK

Let me know how it goes. I had the same issue, my PC was working great for 2 months and all of a sudden nothing. I was pulling my hair, I called ASUS as I thought it was the mobo and the first thing they asked me is about the RAM. I bought the correct RAM and worked ever since. Very strange as I never encountered any issues like this before, but that was the issue.
    RAM being in QVL list or not does not matter, the PC should work regardless, maybe not as performed as it should if you used the supported ram from QVL, but it doesn't make sense.

Achievements:

Thanks

RAM being in QVL list or not does not matter, the PC should work regardless, maybe not as performed as it should if you used the supported ram from QVL, but it doesn't make sense.
    That's what I thought as well, but it does, especially ASUS. Good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Well, I did get supported memory, however there was no QVL for 5000 series on TUF Gaming B450M-PLUS II

Got a new motherboard anyways that has QVL for both 3000 / 5000 series.

Achievements:

Thanks
    Where did you have your PC built?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Quote Originally Posted by peely88 View Post
    Where did you have your PC built?
    15th last month

Achievements:

Thanks
    Random shutdowns -> unable to post sounds like a possible short in your system.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Quote Originally Posted by xflameray View Post
    Random shutdowns -> unable to post sounds like a possible short in your system.
    It was the CPU.

Achievements:

Thanks

It was the CPU.
    Good to hear that you found the issue.

Thanks

It was the CPU.
    Were there any pins broken/loose? any physical damage? or was it just a lemon?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Were there any pins broken/loose? any physical damage? or was it just a lemon?
    No broken / loose pins, I don't know about any of physical damage as I did notice any of it, same with retailer... And, I don't know... The retailer has send the cpu off.

Achievements:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast