Thread: Salary Job?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw

Salary Job?

I just got hired as a field service engineer for a tech company who makes tools that intel buys. My first day is this Tuesday at 8am, but as for what time I will be done for the day/what my scheduled work days will be; I have no idea yet.

This will be my first ever salary job and a HUGE step in furthering my career. I got an Electrical Engineering Technology Associates degree over a year ago and got a job as a Test Tech at Lam for over a year up until I found this new position. Funny enough, all us temps got laid off couple days ago and they gave me the option to go to Night shift or get 2 weeks severance. Since I start my new job in a couple days I'll let you guess which I picked lol.

That was hourly though, and this is a SALARY. I don't make OT either so I am worried they might try and work me to death. Old job was 12 hour shifts 3/4 days a week so I'm not worried about 12 hr shifts. More worried that I'll consistently go over 40 hours a week 4-5 days a week.

What is your experience being/knowing someone who is/was on salary and how does it compare to hourly?
    BALD ALLAH OF MPGH
    League of Legends God & Previous Minion

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahmad For This Useful Post:

SH0N3 (05-28-2023)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmad View Post
    I just got hired as a field service engineer for a tech company who makes tools that intel buys. My first day is this Tuesday at 8am, but as for what time I will be done for the day/what my scheduled work days will be; I have no idea yet.

This will be my first ever salary job and a HUGE step in furthering my career. I got an Electrical Engineering Technology Associates degree over a year ago and got a job as a Test Tech at Lam for over a year up until I found this new position. Funny enough, all us temps got laid off couple days ago and they gave me the option to go to Night shift or get 2 weeks severance. Since I start my new job in a couple days I'll let you guess which I picked lol.

That was hourly though, and this is a SALARY. I don't make OT either so I am worried they might try and work me to death. Old job was 12 hour shifts 3/4 days a week so I'm not worried about 12 hr shifts. More worried that I'll consistently go over 40 hours a week 4-5 days a week.

What is your experience being/knowing someone who is/was on salary and how does it compare to hourly?
    That was hourly though, and this is a SALARY. I don't make OT either so I am worried they might try and work me to death.
    That is usually the case when you are a salaried employee. They can make you work over your scheduled hours at any moments notice. When I switched over from salary to hourly I had more control of my hours and the pay is usually a bit better since overtime is allowed as salaried employees are exempt from it. It also depends on your company and how they work their schedules. They might have better work-life balance as compared to others. Also, you should try and get a BA for your engineering degree.

Middleman 9/13/2016-3/8/17
    LoL Minion 11/5/2016-3/8/17
    Former Staff 3/8/17-12/27/17
    Middleman 12/27/17-06/28/19
    Marketplace Minion 7/1/18-06/28/19
    Minion+ 12/5/18-2/5/19
    Moderator 2/5/19-06/28/19

Former Staff 06/28/19-12/19/20
    Middleman 12/19/20-Current
    Marketplace Minion 2/1/2021-Current
    Minion+ 4/7/2021-12/08/2022

Moderator 2/5/19-08/13/23
    Global Moderator 08/13/23-Current

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lily For This Useful Post:

Ahmad (07-14-2023)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    That was hourly though, and this is a SALARY. I don't make OT either so I am worried they might try and work me to death.
    That is usually the case when you are a salaried employee. They can make you work over your scheduled hours at any moments notice. When I switched over from salary to hourly I had more control of my hours and the pay is usually a bit better since overtime is allowed as salaried employees are exempt from it. It also depends on your company and how they work their schedules. They might have better work-life balance as compared to others. Also, you should try and get a BA for your engineering degree.
    I don't think I will be able to get the BA. My GPA was low 2s. I think Most BA schools require a 3 or something.
    BALD ALLAH OF MPGH
    League of Legends God & Previous Minion

Thanks

Being salaried should still be at most 8 hours a day.

Figure out before hand if it's 8 hours per day. Don't work for a company that is salaried that doesn't define the hours you're working, they'll be taking advantage of you.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    long story short: hourly makes you want to milk the clock and salary makes you want to get the job done faster

In my experience if you're working between 40-50 hrs/per week and you've negotiated for yourself aptly you should be bringing home just as much monthly if it were an hourly position. If you're working more than 50 hr/per week then just view it as a grind since it's your first big boy job in the field you desired. Expect at least 40 hour work weeks because why tf would anyone pay someone a (full time I assume) salary for part time hours when first starting out. I know a few of union workers in masonry/engineering/construction that work 30 hr weeks and get 80+k salaries, but you have to build yourself to it.

I'd rather be salaried than hourly because it's guaranteed income.
    Last edited by Austin; 05-27-2023 at 01:43 AM.

VIP Support // May 2011
    CF Minion // January 2012
    Newsforce // August 2012
    Minion+ // March 2013
    Moderator // August 2014
    Former Staff // January 2015
    General Minion // July 2015
    Publicist // December 2015

Thanks
    I woke 30 hours a week and make 65K

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    I'm salaried but use to be an hourly contractor. And here are the main perks/differences at my company:

Salaried: Any time worked over 40 hours is converted to extra vacation time. Unlimited sick time. This sounds good but I'm usually so busy that I can rarely take vacation time and if I'm sick too often (like I had covid this past week), work just piles up and I fall behind.

Hourly: Overtime
    Rep. Power: 126

Minion: 11/28/12-3/15/14

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy

I don't think I will be able to get the BA. My GPA was low 2s. I think Most BA schools require a 3 or something.
    You could apply as a incoming transfer student or look at online universities. My classmate did not have the grades to continue at our university so he transfered out to a different institution then reapplied back in the following semester. I am not sure what your GPA requirements for your engineering program, but I am sure you can still find some that will accept you.

Middleman 9/13/2016-3/8/17
    LoL Minion 11/5/2016-3/8/17
    Former Staff 3/8/17-12/27/17
    Middleman 12/27/17-06/28/19
    Marketplace Minion 7/1/18-06/28/19
    Minion+ 12/5/18-2/5/19
    Moderator 2/5/19-06/28/19

Former Staff 06/28/19-12/19/20
    Middleman 12/19/20-Current
    Marketplace Minion 2/1/2021-Current
    Minion+ 4/7/2021-12/08/2022

Moderator 2/5/19-08/13/23