Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool

Thumbs up Choosing the Programming Language Best For You

VB.NET
    Ah, yes. The afamed VB.NET. This is one of the three languages that are in a never-ending war against one another. VB.NET is a spin off of VB6 (which I will cover later), created by Microsoft in the early 2000s. VB.NET is a nice language for beginners, but it comes at a price. VB.NET users are constantly getting flamed by VB6 and C++ coders across the interwebs. See my recommended Pathway below. VB.NET is one of the two most common languages in hacking programs (the other being VB6)
    PROS:
    Nice Setup
    Easy to use
    LOTS of support across the internet
    One of the most widely used languages worldwide.
    Lots of sources
    CONS:
    You WILL be flamed at some point
    Requires .NET framework, which can only be used by Windows (and I think Mono works on Linux, but it is inconvenient. This need verification)

C#
    C# (pronounced C sharp) is a nice programming language to learn because it is almost as simple as VB.NET, and it has the functionality of C++. I myself am learning C# right now. This is another .NET language. This language also has uses beyond hack-related things. The XNA (xbox live) Studio can be programmed in C#. The main difference between VB.NET and C# is the syntax (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syntax_(pro...languages) ). This is a big issue here on Hack Forums because you need to sift through all of the Visual Basic codes to find a C# code, because C# is in the .NET section.
    PROS:
    Versatile
    Fairly Simple
    A decent amount of support
    CONS
    HF section is difficult to navigate
    .NET framework
    You will most likely get flamed by Java programmers (as Java is comparable to C#)

There are other .NET languages (F#, J#), but they are used SO infrequently that I am not going to discuss them.

The C Family
    Fun Fact: Contrary to popular belief, C# is rarely paired with C++.

C++
    C++ is THE most renown programming language in the modern world. It is a descendant of C (coming up) and was created in the late 1900s. C++ in the hacking realm is usually used for Bots, but there have been a few other quite useful programs. If you are wanting to go into a professional programming career (yes I know most of the people reading this's ages range between 12-17), then C++ is a must learn.
    PROS:
    Most popular language in the world
    Lots of available sources
    Versatile

Cons
    Slowly becoming outdated
    Not a lot of Hack Tools to work off of

C
    C is the Father of C++. It was invented by Bell Labs while Unix was being invented. C is hardly supported around here, so I am not going to list the pros and cons. Basically, C++:C as Redrum:Murder, but a little less complicated.

Other languages
    Java
    Java is a language invented by Sun Microsystems that is extremely portable and useful. You can code games (Runescape is coded in Java), Android Apps, and much more. Java is one of the most useful languages to learn, but it is not the greatest at malware. If you are looking to code malware, try a .NET or C Family language WITH ONE EXCEPTION. Java is a great spreader using a tactic called a Java Drive-By. This basically infects users who load a Java app (usually embedded on a webpage).

PROS:
    Extremely portable
    Semi-Easy To Learn
    TONS of support

CONS:
    Bad, Bad, Bad language for Crypters
    Indecent language for other malware
    The buttons on Java UIs... they look hideous...but that is just my opinion

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom For This Useful Post:

VuLTuRE540 (07-19-2010)

Thanks
    My Mood