Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow

Help with programming (please see inside)

I know I should have posted in assembly but that section looks like no one really ever goes there. I started a book Assembly Step By Step Programming with DOS and Linux. I have two problems.

I set up my k6-2 pc and installed dos and then put nasm for dos on it.
    I am however still looking for a version of alink which will run on dos and I also cannot seem to find the fabled "Nasm-ide" written of in this book...

There is one project on sourceforge but its not the right one and the program isnt even in english. If anyone can point me to a version of alink for dos and nasm-ide or if nasm-ide no longer exists a good asm ide that works with nasm in dos?

Thanks to all ahead of time and once again sorry for the post in the wrong section...

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by hobosrock696 View Post
    I know I should have posted in assembly but that section looks like no one really ever goes there. I started a book Assembly Step By Step Programming with DOS and Linux. I have two problems.

I set up my k6-2 pc and installed dos and then put nasm for dos on it.
    I am however still looking for a version of alink which will run on dos and I also cannot seem to find the fabled "Nasm-ide" written of in this book...

There is one project on sourceforge but its not the right one and the program isnt even in english. If anyone can point me to a version of alink for dos and nasm-ide or if nasm-ide no longer exists a good asm ide that works with nasm in dos?

Thanks to all ahead of time and once again sorry for the post in the wrong section...
    tsk, tsk, tsk

You're doing it all wrong :O
    Look around, do you still see any dos boxes lingering about? yes? Look again...

Indeed, there are none te be found. So why learn 16 bit ASM? learning will take longer, since compiling the program will take more time (dos == slow), and you'll end up with stuff you don't need anymore these days (far & near, large/small memory, segments...etc...etc)
    So, just put xp back on, download masm (or any other compiler, MASM is just my favorite) and go here Those will compile without a problem, and the MASM compiler has an installer package, so you wont have to do those things yourself.

As for linux, it's open (c) source, why even bother using asm?
    Last edited by .::SCHiM::.; 10-20-2010 at 12:25 PM.

I'm SCHiM

Morals derive from the instinct to survive. Moral behavior is survival behavior above the individual level.

Polymorphic engine
    Interprocess callback class
    SIN
    Infinite-precision arithmetic
    Hooking dynamic linkage
    (sloppy)Kernel mode Disassembler!!!

Semi debugger

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    In order to really understand asm and the very basics you have to study the segmented, real flat, and protected models and dos helps you with at least one of the 3. My other option is running it in a cmd prompt windows in vmware. Also from what I've read I have just about the best book around for laying the foundations and it uses lots of DOS tools. DOS is obsolete as an operating system but for asm beginners can be a great tool.....
    just imho

But yes later I will have to learn 32bit and then possibly 64bit asm but that's in the future and the ideas aren't DRASTICALLY different.

Anyways now that ive decided to abandon looking for an ide I just need to know where I can find a version of alink that will work in dos....

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love
    Quote Originally Posted by .::SCHiM::. View Post
    tsk, tsk, tsk

You're doing it all wrong :O
    Look around, do you still see any dos boxes lingering about? yes? Look again...

Indeed, there are none te be found. So why learn 16 bit ASM? learning will take longer, since compiling the program will take more time (dos == slow), and you'll end up with stuff you don't need anymore these days (far & near, large/small memory, segments...etc...etc)
    So, just put xp back on, download masm (or any other compiler, MASM is just my favorite) and go here Those will compile without a problem, and the MASM compiler has an installer package, so you wont have to do those things yourself.

As for linux, it's open (c) source, why even bother using asm?
    DOS on a modern PC is god fast.

未来が見えなくて怖いから
    未来が見えてしまって悲しいから
    目を閉じて優しい思い出に浸ってしまう

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Dos on a k6-2 is god fast let alone a 3+ghz cpu.....
    Idea forming in my head /