Firemaking is used for making a campfire where you can cook your freshly caught fish or other types of meat.

In order to make a fire, you need logs and a Tinderbox.
FYI, you can buy one from the GE for almost nothing.

To cut to the chase, you want to withdraw a Tinderbox.

Now that you have everything together, you can either use the Tinderbox with the logs in your backpack, or drop the logs and use the Tinderbox with them. Or, you can now choose the option 'Light Fire' if you see some logs on the ground.

Here is the general outline for 1-99 followed by some tips.

Levels 1-25: Regular logs
Regular logs are your only option until level 15. The best place to get Regular logs is the Lumbridge forest. You can cut, drop, burn, and repeat.

Levels 25-40: Oak logs
Oak logs will be the next wood you get to burn. One of the best places to cut Oak Logs to burn is east of the Draynor bank. There are only four trees there, but since each tree gives multiple logs, it will turn out easier.

Levels 40-50: Willow logs
Now, you can try your luck on Willow Logs. An excellent place is south of Rimmington. There are ten trees ready to be cut.

Levels 50-70: Maple/Willow Logs
If you are F2P, you can either buy Maple logs, or just stick with Willow Logs.

Levels 70-99: Yews/Willows/Magic Logs
If you can afford to buy them, or if you can chop them, Yews are great, followed by Magic then Willows as the cheapest.

Tips

*The type of log you use, does not affect the time it takes to light.

*To make your training as good and fast as possible, it is suggested that you don't start on a new log until you're at least 5 levels above the required level; so you don't fail the burning, as much.

Suggestions? Please let me know and I will try my best to add them in!