Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking

.HFS files and you

After the countless days staying up and reading through the very minimal amount of information we have on .HFS files in these forums, i decided to shed some light on these files. So without further ado here you all go.

What is an .HFS file?

Hierarchical File System or .HFS, divides a volume into logical blocks, These logical blocks are then grouped together into allocation blocks which can contain one or more logical blocks depending on the total size of the volume

Technical enough for you? i thought so. now what can you expect to find inside of these "Logical Blocks", well they are anything from Material, Texture, Animation, Bounding box, Hit box, Mesh, files.

Files and what they do

Well you could just take a stroll over to google and search this up, but for the sake of this being an info i will supply you the basic knowledge of all the file extensions.

.VMT

A material is a .vmt ("Valve Material Type") text file that defines a two-dimensional surface. It contains all of the information needed for Source to simulate the surface visually, aurally, and physically.
    .VFT

The Valve Texture Format (VTF) is the proprietary texture format used by the Source engine.

VTF files are just one layer in the Material System. VTFs ("Textures") can only be applied to Geometry via a VMT ("Material") File. VMTs can assign several VTFs to the same surface, and specify which Shader and Shader Parameters to use when rendering the textures.
    .PHY

PHY is the extension for Source's proprietary collision model data format. It stores data for the rigid or jointed (ragdoll) collision model used by the MDL. In addition, it stores some $keyvalues about a model such as which gib-models to use if destroyed
    .VTX

VTX is the extension for Source's proprietary mesh strip format. It stores hardware optimized material, skinning and triangle strip/fan information for each LOD of each mesh in the MDL. Currently it is found in .sw.vtx (Software), .dx80.vtx (DirectX 8.0) .dx90.vtx (DirectX 9.0) and .xbox.vtx (XBox) flavours.
    .CFG

cfg files can be found everywhere and are not specific to Source. It is an abbreviation of configuration.

In Source games, a configuration file can be executed to perform a list of console commands. CFG files can be written in any other plain text editor. To create one, right-click the blank space in a folder, and go to New>Text file. Rename it to myconfig.cfg or whatever you want, as long as it ends in .cfg. You can then open it in your text editor and put commands in.
    Theres some light of what you are looking at as you scan these .HFS files.

What was the point of this thread?

Simple to give people the knowledge of the game engine, and some of its files. and to contribute to the community, Its and info thread, what more can i say.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Pwnedtheif For This Useful Post:

DanK (05-01-2011),dragon73 (04-30-2011),Etherealblood (05-08-2011),jennyfonda (05-01-2011),JohnnyOmm55 (04-30-2011),P4N1K (08-20-2012),treefei (05-04-2011),UlRRvtk7 (04-30-2011),YoshikiRL (05-03-2011)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwnedtheif View Post
    After the countless days staying up and reading through the very minimal amount of information we have on .HFS files in these forums, i decided to shed some light on these files. So without further ado here you all go.

What is an .HFS file?

Hierarchical File System or .HFS, divides a volume into logical blocks, These logical blocks are then grouped together into allocation blocks which can contain one or more logical blocks depending on the total size of the volume

Technical enough for you? i thought so. now what can you expect to find inside of these "Logical Blocks", well they are anything from Material, Texture, Animation, Bounding box, Hit box, Mesh, files.

Files and what they do

Well you could just take a stroll over to google and search this up, but for the sake of this being an info i will supply you the basic knowledge of all the file extensions.

.VMT

.VFT

.PHY

.VTX

.CFG

Theres some light of what you are looking at as you scan these .HFS files.

What was the point of this thread?

Simple to give people the knowledge of the game engine, and some of its files. and to contribute to the community, Its and info thread, what more can i say.
    Thank You!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    not a problem, any other way i can help, just ask.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    always enjoy some spoonfed emaducation! Thanks from me too!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by jennyfonda View Post
    always enjoy some spoonfed emaducation! Thanks from me too!
    You can't pass up the spoonfed stuff , im going to have more little info threads like this but... i got to make the info more nub friendly before posting it then again i don't want it to be copy pasta kinda things that just anyone can do, i like to make people work for there knowledge xD

Either way, not a problem any way i can help the community i will do.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    True, but having a basis in a "for Dummies" way so we understand what we are searching instead of just "what for" is always nice I'll be on the look out for your posts!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy
    how do i open this hfs files everytime i open the files with notepad it gives me this text thats is not even a language

Thanks
    I have a question: Does this affect everyone or only you?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by xsoulkillerx View Post
    how do i open this hfs files everytime i open the files with notepad it gives me this text thats is not even a language
    use vzipflip5 to turn the files into .zip files wich can be opened with winrar or zip file application theres a tut on it https://www.mpgh.net/forum/437-vindic...s-dummies.html

Quote Originally Posted by BloodyLord7777 View Post
    I have a question: Does this affect everyone or only you?
    unless you share your HFS files its only you. but it is much like the console, when you run a command it will affect the party unless its player specific i.E. "cc_set_sub_weapon javelin_lvl2 999;" is a player specific command, "plr_move_speed_sprint 1000;" effects the whole party.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwnedtheif View Post
    unless you share your HFS files its only you. but it is much like the console, when you run a command it will affect the party unless its player specific i.E. "cc_set_sub_weapon javelin_lvl2 999;" is a player specific command, "plr_move_speed_sprint 1000;" effects the whole party.
    Hm, how do you know which command is party/player specific?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    There are small keys into what each command does and what or who it effects in the name "cc" means its client sided (i forget what the cc stands for lol) "plr" is the player, but sometimes this way of figuring out commands does not work out so well so the easiest way is to multi log or get a good friend and just try them out that way.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Quote Originally Posted by xsoulkillerx View Post
    that is programing language ^ ^ you cannot view any information from notepad because it does not understand the programing language

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thx for this!
    Formerly known as gamer4evere

Participated on:
    MPGH GAMING NIGHT 08/03/2015 - Town of Salem

Thanks
    thx for that

Thanks
    More technical:
    Vindictus - XentaxWiki