Thread: Europe vs USA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

I got ants in my butt, and I needs to strut.
    Premium Seller
    Former Staff
    Premium Member
    Trusted
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking

Europe vs USA

This is another installment of a series called America, to discuss why the US is so often at odds with the rest of the world. Both Europe and the United States have a large economy, political stability and strong military might. What differs is the lifestyle and politics in these two demographic regions. Here follows a brief comparison of living standards in Europe and USA on the basis of healthcare, multiculturalism, education and media awareness.

Healthcare - In the United States it is common for a hospital to refuse to treat a critically ill patient if they are not insured or are not US citizens. In Europe such a concept is considered ancient and uncivilised. In the US, doctors sometimes refuse to treat or prescribe the right options to a patient if the doctor’s religious beliefs go against what is medically best for the patient. It happens most often in cases of abortion, birth control and treating homosexuals where the doctors’ medical ethics conflict with their religious beliefs. Such an act in Europe would lead to cancellation of a doctor’s license to practice for violation of the Hippocratic Oath.

Diversity - United States, despite petty internal political differences is very uniform and homogeneous to an outsider. The culture (or lack of it) is same, the food is same, the language is same and the arts and style are similar. In Europe language, art, food, culture and politics are widely varied which might be overwhelming for an outsider but makes things interesting. A person visiting Scotland on a pleasure trip won’t feel like he could have done visiting England while a person visiting New Jersey and Virginia as a tourist would almost feel both are same states (except the differences in street crimes).

Education - The quality of public education in United States is much lower than that of Europe, in fact it is lower than many developing third world countries. US High School students are much less aware of the world history and politics, have lower mathematical and scientific skills, possess lower reasoning and judgement capabilities than European students of the same age. Universities are prohibitively expensive, the better the university, the more expensive it is. Students are often immersed on a lifelong burden of debt or get wiped out of all savings for an average college degree which costs a fraction in European countries or is free as in case of countries like Germany.

Media and News - The media in United States is very short sighted and excludes the rest of the world which it considers as an amusement park. The political and cultural news about the world is often negatively biased from an American point of view to suit ‘Americanised’ tastes. Sex and sexuality is either commoditised in an obsessively unhealthy way or vilified, making it to look as a dirty and evil act. In contrast, political and cultural news in European media is much more worldly and inclusive. News media tend to present facts rather than biased opinions; sex and sexuality is shown in a positive and healthy light as compared to the US.

/Discuss.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecstasy View Post
    This is another installment of a series called America, to discuss why the US is so often at odds with the rest of the world. Both Europe and the United States have a large economy, political stability and strong military might. What differs is the lifestyle and politics in these two demographic regions. Here follows a brief comparison of living standards in Europe and USA on the basis of healthcare, multiculturalism, education and media awareness.

Healthcare - In the United States it is common for a hospital to refuse to treat a critically ill patient if they are not insured or are not US citizens. In Europe such a concept is considered ancient and uncivilised. In the US, doctors sometimes refuse to treat or prescribe the right options to a patient if the doctor’s religious beliefs go against what is medically best for the patient. It happens most often in cases of abortion, birth control and treating homosexuals where the doctors’ medical ethics conflict with their religious beliefs. Such an act in Europe would lead to cancellation of a doctor’s license to practice for violation of the Hippocratic Oath.

Diversity - United States, despite petty internal political differences is very uniform and homogeneous to an outsider. The culture (or lack of it) is same, the food is same, the language is same and the arts and style are similar. In Europe language, art, food, culture and politics are widely varied which might be overwhelming for an outsider but makes things interesting. A person visiting Scotland on a pleasure trip won’t feel like he could have done visiting England while a person visiting New Jersey and Virginia as a tourist would almost feel both are same states (except the differences in street crimes).

Education - The quality of public education in United States is much lower than that of Europe, in fact it is lower than many developing third world countries. US High School students are much less aware of the world history and politics, have lower mathematical and scientific skills, possess lower reasoning and judgement capabilities than European students of the same age. Universities are prohibitively expensive, the better the university, the more expensive it is. Students are often immersed on a lifelong burden of debt or get wiped out of all savings for an average college degree which costs a fraction in European countries or is free as in case of countries like Germany.

Media and News - The media in United States is very short sighted and excludes the rest of the world which it considers as an amusement park. The political and cultural news about the world is often negatively biased from an American point of view to suit ‘Americanised’ tastes. Sex and sexuality is either commoditised in an obsessively unhealthy way or vilified, making it to look as a dirty and evil act. In contrast, political and cultural news in European media is much more worldly and inclusive. News media tend to present facts rather than biased opinions; sex and sexuality is shown in a positive and healthy light as compared to the US.

/Discuss.
    Do you copy everything? What about coming up with your own argument, or ideas? Maybe find something to copy that hasn't already found it's way onto MPGH next time? Also, who ever wrote this is bias. There are several statments in here that are opinions, and not fact.

But umm, what is it you're trying to say? Try your own words this time.
    Last edited by RJ; 12-04-2011 at 12:07 PM.

END THE FED

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Not sure where you found this, but it's mostly horse shit,
    and if I wanted to waste my time finding all the evidence to show you I would,
    but you're lazy enough so I think you should go find the truth your self.

Doctors can't refuse treatment from a critically injured person...

Threadstarter
    Premium Seller
    Former Staff
    Premium Member
    Trusted
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    I actually read it all, just want to know mpgh opinions about it.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Ohh good, you can read. What's your opinion?... I assume if you posted this that you're pro-europe, and anti-america? In which case I'm going to have to teach you a few things about how we work, and in some ways depend on the other. Theres more them depending on us then us depending on them btw.
    Last edited by RJ; 12-04-2011 at 12:34 PM.

END THE FED

Threadstarter
    Premium Seller
    Former Staff
    Premium Member
    Trusted
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    I'm not anti-american, americas has places the economy is better then europe in my opinion.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    In my opinion, you have no idea what you're talking about.

END THE FED

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Honestly speaking, I dislike the Americans because of their attitude! @RJ
    Last edited by Registration; 12-04-2011 at 01:39 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by Registration View Post
    Honestly speaking, I dislike the Americans because of their attitude! @RJ
    You can't mention me idk why, but anyway nothing I'm saying isn't true. Just because it's your preception that I have an attitude doesn't change the validity of my statments.

Also, having an attitude is something human beings all have the abbility to do, so it isn't right to just say Americans have an attitude.
    Last edited by RJ; 12-04-2011 at 01:53 PM.

END THE FED

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    You can't mention me idk why, but anyway nothing I'm saying isn't true. Just because it's your preception that I have an attitude doesn't change the validity of my statments.

Also, having an attitude is something human beings all have the abbility to do, so it isn't right to just say Americans have an attitude.
    1. European healthcare is free for all including immigrants and tourists and it is of a very high quality.
    In the USA healthcare is expensive, many people get turned away from hospitals because they can’t afford it. And evin if you can afford it the quality is terrible anyway.

2.European education is also 100% free and of a very high quality and european students are always years ahead of American students in the same year. Plus EU students can all speak another two languages aswell as their mother tounge.

3. Lots of people in the US “DON’T” have homes to live in! In Europe housing has been free for 100 years if you can’t afford it, how stone aged are the Americans, If you don’t agree follow this link.https://www.worst-city.com/small-phot...of-Detroit.jpg

4.100% of roads in the EU are paved however in the US there are over 200,000km of unpaved roads.

personally consider the EU as one country ), offer benefits in different ways. But what makes me a little bit sad is that many (of course not all) people in the USA (i have lived there for one year) think that their nation is better than Europe or the rest of the world and when you ask them why they told me about things which are also common in Europe and sometimes even better. Many Americans don’t know how life in Europe is. They think it’s an old-fashioned continent with no perspectives. But that’s of course not true. If I would be an Alien and would analyze all the data (health care, criminal rates, obesity, diversity, taxes, laws,) from USA and EU than I would surely think that the USA is (in some aspects) the old-fashioned country where life can be as hard as in stoneage. But many americans don’t realize that. They see their flag and say: “God bless America!”.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by Registration View Post
    1. European healthcare is free for all including immigrants and tourists and it is of a very high quality.
    In the USA healthcare is expensive, many people get turned away from hospitals because they can’t afford it. And evin if you can afford it the quality is terrible anyway.

2.European education is also 100% free and of a very high quality and european students are always years ahead of American students in the same year. Plus EU students can all speak another two languages aswell as their mother tounge.

3. Lots of people in the US “DON’T” have homes to live in! In Europe housing has been free for 100 years if you can’t afford it, how stone aged are the Americans, If you don’t agree follow this link.https://www.worst-city.com/small-phot...of-Detroit.jpg

4.100% of roads in the EU are paved however in the US there are over 200,000km of unpaved roads.

personally consider the EU as one country ), offer benefits in different ways. But what makes me a little bit sad is that many (of course not all) people in the USA (i have lived there for one year) think that their nation is better than Europe or the rest of the world and when you ask them why they told me about things which are also common in Europe and sometimes even better. Many Americans don’t know how life in Europe is. They think it’s an old-fashioned continent with no perspectives. But that’s of course not true. If I would be an Alien and would analyze all the data (health care, criminal rates, obesity, diversity, taxes, laws,) from USA and EU than I would surely think that the USA is (in some aspects) the old-fashioned country where life can be as hard as in stoneage. But many americans don’t realize that. They see their flag and say: “God bless America!”.
    Socialized health care, and the quality of EUs health care is debatable.
    If you want to promise citizens a national or state program of universal insurance coverage, don't expect that you will be able to deliver universal access to high-quality health care. You won't and you can't (look at Britain).
    If you want to fix prices for medical services, prescription drugs, or other medical devices, don't expect demand for these goods and services to be met or investment in research and development to continue apace. It won't (look anywhere).
    If you insist, with a straight face, that in a government-run health care system, all of your fellow citizens will be treated equally -- regardless of their class, station in life, or disease condition -- you are not merely enthusiastic or well intentioned. You are lying.
    However, I'm in no way saying our system is perfect, but more goverment isn't the answer to this.

Education? Yeah we've got an issue with our system there also, but MORE goverment isn't the answer there also. Your education isnt free either. It's paid for by taxing the people, and if a goverment is involved with it, it is always attached to strings ei: their abbility to tell us what can or can't be taught.

But, it isn't difficult to get into a college in America. I know this because I have several friends now attending that do not have any money and a GED.

Roads? Look at the size of EU, and then look at America. It's not like we're having ANY difficulty getting from place to place, so moot point?

Also the assumption that Americans are clueless to the situations in our goverment can be made aginst any culture or nation.
    Last edited by RJ; 12-04-2011 at 02:24 PM.

END THE FED

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Socialized health care, and the quality of EUs health care is debatable.

However, I'm in no way saying our system is perfect, but more goverment isn't the answer to this.

Education? Yeah we've got an issue with our system there also, but MORE goverment isn't the answer there also. Your education isnt free either. It's paid for by taxing the people, and if a goverment is involved with it, it is always attached to strings ei: their abbility to tell us what can or can't be taught.

But, it isn't difficult to get into a college in America. I know this because I have several friends now attending that do not have any money and a GED.

Roads? Look at the size of EU, and then look at America. It's not like we're having ANY difficulty getting from place to place, so moot point?

Also the assumption that Americans are clueless to the situations in our goverment can be made aginst any culture or nation.
    I have visited the States several times, and frankly, I am not attracted at all in living there.

First and foremost, I do not like the American mentality that put materialism at the forefront of everything. I found America to be a cultural desert, and on that subject way down the line compared to Europe and Russia.

One of my sons even went to live in America for a while, head-hunted by a Californian company after he finished his second university here in England. He spent 4 years in the USA, and decided to abandon a well-paid job to move back to Europe. He never liked the American way of life and never befriended Americans. Several of his acquaintances also came back from the States after a while.

Americans are obsessed by wealth and appearances, and forget completely quality of life (which they equate with the size of their bank account). As for the country itself, I found it so brash and superficial in every sphere of their lives, that I wouldn’t even consider spending long time there. I think it’s because life in the States is so superficial that many people resort to religion to fill the void in their life. There is also a lack of knowledge of the outside world which is gripping. It could also be a factor behind the high divorce rates, single parenthood and violent crimes.

San Jose, California, in my family room, in a chair, in front of a desk
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Bashful
    I’m an American and I completely agree with @Ecstasy… Though a little bitter towards the American side, but overall I agree. The biggest problem I find with us Americans (or most of the ones I’ve met in my lifetime here)is that we are CONVINCED that America is the greatest and ONLY greatest place in the world, most couldn’t imagine why anyone would want to live anywhere else. And I also agree with the false-patriotism in America. Everyone I have asked why they love America so much has simply answered “Because it’s the greatest country in the world” without any facts to support it. We often either justify or tend to overlook our many flaws. I completely agree that the majority of Americans are completely clueless to what’s going on in the world around them. I’ve learned more about Europe in my last year of (personally) studying it then I have my entire school career. I could go on and on with America’s flaws (I notice atleast one a week), but I tend not to dwell on America’s flaws, I look at it’s positives, understand why some people would prefer to live here, and count down the days til I can pack up and move out of this place!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    I'm a common American, and I can intelligently communicate my stance on very many world issues. We are not dumb, lol, don't you realise that EVERY COUNTRY HAS PEOPLE LIKE THIS.

EDIT: @Registration I'm hardly a moron... and it's nice to see you so fustrated you devolve into name calling
    Socalized medicine is bad, but we can debate that elsewhere.

I'd like to point out a few things. Our economy is the largest, in spite of our massive debt. Also, in spite of student test scores, we are still, as I said before, the most powerful and influential nation on Earth. Maybe one day that will change, but I doubt it.
    Last edited by RJ; 12-04-2011 at 03:41 PM.

END THE FED

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    I'm a common American, and I can intelligently communicate my stance on very many world issues. We are not dumb, lol, don't you realise that EVERY COUNTRY HAS PEOPLE LIKE THIS.

EDIT: @Registration I'm hardly a moron... and it's nice to see you so fustrated you devolve into name calling
    Socalized medicine is bad, but we can debate that elsewhere.

I'd like to point out a few things. Our economy is the largest, in spite of our massive debt. Also, in spite of student test scores, we are still, as I said before, the most powerful and influential nation on Earth. Maybe one day that will change, but I doubt it.

As a person who was born and raised in Central Europe then has lived past 8 years in USA and now is considering moving back to Europe. Healthcare is horrible, I know because I am a healthcare professional and I was unable to treat or provide care to patients due to limitations from healthcare insurance and the lack of funds directly from patients, and I am talking about couple of patients a month. Also, the fact that I have a health insurance doesn’t mean I don’t pay major medical expenses - on top of paying monthly over $400 for family health insurance I have to pay “out-of-packet” expenses which are around $3000 a year per family member/maximum $6000 per family with additional deductibles and such.
    Basic family care - how can the richest country in the world have such a horrible lack of family support when it comes to babies and toddlers - almost total lack of maternity leave, no job security for pregnant and new mothers,… I am speaking from my own experience also…As far as I know every country in Europe provides at least 4-6 months of maternal leave with guaranteed return to job for young mothers…(on the other hand, here more jobs are readily available so even though you loose a job you may found a better one afterwards), …

Education
    College level education in USA is comparable to high school education in Europe - speaking about general education. Once you choose your professional carrier you are going to enjoy USA college a lot…great labs, plenty of available books, of course depending on a college, but as a person who studied in both places I have to say that I enjoyed USA College more - speaking on one case basis just from my own experience…

Diversity - no comparison, Europe is veeeeeryyyy diverse, however, USA has great parks, natural wonders, beautiful mountains and beaches and lots of good people to meet on the road (although you are better off staying away from metropolitan areas to find friendly and ready to share Americans). Stores and restaurants are mostly the same across all States. Unfortunately Europe has very expensive cars (usually the price is twice as hight in Europe as compared to States), the cars are smaller, which is a good thing, expensive gas in Europe.

Food - it all depends on a family, Europeans mostly don’t eat as much junk food, they look for non-processed foods, they spend more time together as a family - which means more homemade meals, more home grown vegetables and SMALLER portions…why do restaurants in USA serve such humangas portions??? As soon as you cross the border and get to Canada the portions shrink by at least 25%.

What I love about USA - plenty of jobs, cheaper cars, lots of stores, garage sales, plenty of sports, arts and crafts for kids,… and you can have a Russian living next to German, African-American, Asian and Indian all living in one apartment complex, Jews living on the same street as Muslims and they seem to tolerate each other just fine…

Media - if you look for it you can find quality news in USA, for instance National Public Radio, but if you don’t look, you will listen to the news which is very limited, self-centered on USA and preferres to announce what celebrities are doing instead of what is happening currently in Africa or South America…

And the bottom line is - there are cultural differences between USA and Europe and it is very hard to compare them all. As I am contemplating the move back to Europe simply because I am tired of working 50 weeks in a year with 2 weeks of vacation which I cannot even take when I want, but when the corporation will let me…and because I want to have more kids without paying $6000 out-of-pocket expense for childbirth for me and the baby and then I want to stay home with the baby for 6 months…and I want my children to have the same cultural heritage as I have had, I must say that I prefer Europe but at the same time, when I am in Europe I will miss States… being devided forever between the two continents, different life styles and different economic opportunities…

GOING TO SLEEP SINCE I live in japan not shitty amerfag.
    Last edited by Registration; 12-04-2011 at 03:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast