Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed

[HELP] Fixing Up and Old Computer

Alright, so here's the deal. Parents were cleaning out a closet in my house yesterday and found our old desktop tower. They were just going to throw it out, but they said if I can fix it, I can have it. So I opened it up, turned it on. Something fizzled out, there was a bit of smoke.

PSU 'd. Typical, it's 7 or 8 years old and hasn't had a charge running through it for years. Here's the PSU: ICtronics ICT4300 300W ATX 20 Pin Power Supply Pentium4 | eBay

Went to school today and got an older PSU from my Networking teacher to try out.
    All the connectors fit, save one. Not sure what type of connector it is since my knowledge doesn't go back quite that far, but I can't find manuals or model documentation of any kind anywhere.

I searched the motherboard model which is a QDI PlatiniX 2: PlatiniX 2 QDI Motherboard Mainboard Drivers Manuals BIOS

Motherboard has a charge going through it for the most part. Red light on the board right next to the 34-pin floppy connector (PATA) is lit up when the PSU is switched on.
    Not sure which connection I'm missing, but I linked some pictures for you all. Sorry for shitty quality, just my phone cam.

Connector on original PSU:

[IMG]https://i868.photobucke*****m/albums/ab249/xSkriim/0227122013.jpg[/IMG]

Matching mobo connection:

[IMG]https://i868.photobucke*****m/albums/ab249/xSkriim/image1.jpg[/IMG]

Connector on new PSU that doesn't fit anywhere on mobo:

[IMG]https://i868.photobucke*****m/albums/ab249/xSkriim/0227122014a.jpg[/IMG]

May or may not just but a new PSU off ebay. 25 bucks isn't much to lose, at least I'll have the right one.

@Alen #SCHWÄÄGGIN'

And whoever else.
    Last edited by Ryan; 02-27-2012 at 06:28 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Shit must be old.

Thanks
    It to much :X, FTW mac. if I ever tried to fix my Windows laptop I would Go crazy.

Thanks
    The bottom most plug looks like a SATA connector.

It probably wont fit anywhere, as it looks like the CD Drive is PATA, and one could assume the HDD('s) are too.

The one from the old PSU and the plug on your mobo look to be some old school AT-power connections. I cant remember what exactly they are for however, but I do know that only reallly old PSU's have them. From a vague memory I want to say that they are basically the equivalent of your modern day 20-24 pin ATX power connector, but I am not 100% sure.

EDIT: After some poking on google I figure that your motherboard has an auxiliary power connector. Given that you have a (probably) 20 pin rail already in, it would mean that those are just auxiliary connectors rather than primary power plugs like they were originally used for. Unfortunately I have no idea if they are necessary or not for the computer to work

EDIT 2: Yeah you do need to find a PSU with auxiliary plugs.
    Last edited by Heartview; 02-27-2012 at 07:03 PM.
    Texture Mods

Obedear, the sky is low

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heartview For This Useful Post:

Ryan (02-27-2012),Stevenom (02-27-2012)

The power of the imagination makes us infinite.
    MPGH Member
    Thanks
    looks too old. I'd just throw it out.
    Best place to get FREE TWITTER FOLLOWERS! https://spreadytweets.com/?ref=5904

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tonsoina View Post
    looks too old. I'd just throw it out.
    Protip: If you're not going to help, then just go spam another thread.
    DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF
    AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jigsaw For This Useful Post:

[MPGH]Ethereal (02-28-2012),Ryan (02-27-2012),Stevenom (02-27-2012)

The power of the imagination makes us infinite.
    MPGH Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigsaw View Post

Protip: If you're not going to help, then just go spam another thread.
    sorry D: I'll be leaving now
    Best place to get FREE TWITTER FOLLOWERS! https://spreadytweets.com/?ref=5904

Thanks
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Your processor, probably blew up.. The cooling paste probably dried up after it being unused for 8-9 years. You probably will have to get a new processor if you want to get it back and working. @Ryan
    Past Names:
    Fresh.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Synergy. For This Useful Post:

Ryan (02-27-2012)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Quote Originally Posted by Heartview View Post
    The bottom most plug looks like a SATA connector.

It probably wont fit anywhere, as it looks like the CD Drive is PATA, and one could assume the HDD('s) are too.

The one from the old PSU and the plug on your mobo look to be some old school AT-power connections. I cant remember what exactly they are for however, but I do know that only reallly old PSU's have them. From a vague memory I want to say that they are basically the equivalent of your modern day 20-24 pin ATX power connector, but I am not 100% sure.

EDIT: After some poking on google I figure that your motherboard has an auxiliary power connector. Given that you have a (probably) 20 pin rail already in, it would mean that those are just auxiliary connectors rather than primary power plugs like they were originally used for. Unfortunately I have no idea if they are necessary or not for the computer to work

EDIT 2: Yeah you do need to find a PSU with auxiliary plugs.
    Can't believe I didn't recognize SATA. This is what happens when you get 2 hours of sleep.

Thanks for the help, I'll probably just grab a working model of the old PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh. View Post
    Your processor, probably blew up.. The cooling paste probably dried up after it being unused for 8-9 years. You probably will have to get a new processor if you want to get it back and working. @Ryan
    I could see that being an issue, but I'll have no way of knowing until I can actually boot up. Because the old PSU won't even give a charge. If so, it's just a Pentium 4 which is all of 20 bucks.
    Last edited by Ryan; 02-27-2012 at 07:26 PM.

Thanks
    Before fixing your computer , fix your phone camera!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Quote Originally Posted by HaxPro View Post
    Before fixing your computer , fix your phone camera!
    There's nothing to fix...just a shitty phone.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    I always find the flowcharts from this website quite useful to find out what's wrong with a pc.

Computer Repair Flowchart

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cold
    fuck flowcharts if you cant firgur it out with your brain your useless the psu is fucked get a new one

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke420 View Post
    fuck flowcharts if you cant firgur it out with your brain your useless the psu is fucked get a new one
    I know the PSU died you fucking idiot. I said that in the first post. The problem was some missing connections. Which I now have. Can't expect you to know how to read that though, seeing as you can't even fucking spell.

On that note, UPDATE:

I got a second PSU from my teacher with an auxiliary plug, got everything plugged in nicely, except I had to use CD/DVD connectors to an 8-pin adapter (https://kablammo.strongerthandeath.co...04/adapter.JPG).
    I used the left 4 pins of the 8-pin to connect to the 4-pin connection. In other words, it's half plugged in.
    Only problem is there's no charge running through the mobo (red light isn't illuminated like with the first PSU I got from my teacher).

As far as I know, the current PSU is in fine working order, though it has no on/off switch, so I don't know for sure. The one I'm currently using is a Dell PS-5201-7D.

@Heartview

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

I know the PSU died you fucking idiot. I said that in the first post. The problem was some missing connections. Which I now have. Can't expect you to know how to read that though, seeing as you can't even fucking spell.

On that note, UPDATE:

I got a second PSU from my teacher with an auxiliary plug, got everything plugged in nicely, except I had to use CD/DVD connectors to an 8-pin adapter (https://kablammo.strongerthandeath.co...04/adapter.JPG).
    I used the left 4 pins of the 8-pin to connect to the 4-pin connection. In other words, it's half plugged in.
    Only problem is there's no charge running through the mobo (red light isn't illuminated like with the first PSU I got from my teacher).

As far as I know, the current PSU is in fine working order, though it has no on/off switch, so I don't know for sure. The one I'm currently using is a Dell PS-5201-7D.

@Heartview
    Does the PSU fan spin when you hit the power button? If everything is plugged in right there may be something else dead on the board. The 8 pin in the 4 shouldn't effect it as they are designed so you cant plug the wrong half of it in. Only thing I can really say is make sure that everything is plugged in right.
    Texture Mods

Obedear, the sky is low

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast