Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical

Can we fight the end of external anti-recoil?

Greetings,

I'm new to these forums. I used to contribute to the MPC Forums back in the day, but moved here when I recently started playing GO.

I'm not a coder, and I have no real programming experience. My bread and butter were material exploits for CS:S, and most of that came to an end with the advent of sv_pure. I imagine it will be even more of a challenge with GO, which seems to be receiving frequent updates and a lot of attention from the developers as it goes through beta.

What excited me about GO was the mechanics of its weapon recoil, which seemed to offer a lot of potential for external anti-recoil programs (a la Day of Defeat). As anyone who played DOD knows, the straight-forward mechanics of weapon recoil in that game made it easy to use external anti-recoil to compensate for. As opposed to, say, CS:S, where spread was largely intangible and difficult to predict.

The trouble with GO, however, is that anti-recoil programs (at least as of August 24, I do not know about earlier in the Beta) don't seem to work. Now, I know nothing about coding whatsoever, but my guess is that the way CS:GO handles controller inputs is designed to preclude the possibility of multiple sources of controller input. Otherwise, I can see no reason why basic cursor-movers like ZeroCool's shouldn't work. They work in-menu with a free-floating cursor, but not in-game when you are moving your point of aim. Due to the lack of a free-roaming spectator mode, I can't say for sure whether it would work there, but I suspect not.

Hooking the engine is obviously out of the question, so we're left (I think) with two options:

1. Experiment with settings. It's possible that the failure of external anti-recoil is tied to cvars or options that the user can change to allow more than one 'controller' to operate. In the controller options, users can change between mouse, joystick, xbox controller, etc. It's possible that the cvars that handle this allow for more than one controller type to be activated at once, or maybe it's as simple as changing the right cvar, and the anti-recoil will just start working. This would be ideal, but I consider it unlikely since it seems clear to me that the developers of the game did this on purpose to stop basic cursor-mover software from affecting the game. That leaves...

2. A more sophisticated program. It's at this point that I no longer know what I am talking about, and am relying on those of you with more computer knowledge than me to say what is or is not possible. Could we design an external anti-recoil that tricks CS:GO into thinking that the physical mouse itself is generating the input without hooking the engine? As it stands right now, CS:GO can tell the difference between when I move my mouse down, and when a program running in the background is instructing the cursor to move down. How does it know? I have no idea, that's way over my head. But if we could figure that out, I think we might have a chance to make it work.

Recoil patterns in CS:GO are mostly predictable, and manual compensation is fairly effective with practice, but because recoil increases in a non-linear fashion, perfect compensation requires more than a steady, downward pull of the trigger. A well-programmed external anti-recoil, customizable for each weapon, which includes different rates of speed AND acceleration for the cursor's movement which could be fine-tuned with timed sequences, would be deadly effective.

Imagine you set the recoil to AK47. The moment you depress the trigger, the cursor moves down at a controlled rate (x) for the first 0.y seconds (say, for time it takes the second shot to release) and then increases its rate to some factor of x for the time it takes to release the third shot, and then increases the rate again for subsequent shots, etc. so that recoil is compensated for more exactly than it would be with just a constant rate. I don't know how to do this, but I imagine it would be fairly simple to program if you already knew how to program a basic constant-rate cursor-mover. The hard part would be fine-tuning the scripts (is that the right word?) for each weapon, and the community could certainly help with that.

The point is that material exploits are going to be harder and harder to find, and for those of us who value our accounts, injected hacks are simply not an option. External anti-recoil IS an option, and because of the recoil mechanics in CS:GO, it has amazing potential to enhance performance.

We just have to find out a way to make it work. And that, I'm afraid, is beyond me.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    I see, so because of popular demand My new official project is a no recoil that is more effective and works evertime.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    I think that is a splendid idea, Kila. You clearly know far more about how to do this than most of the posters here.

Just remember: Before you spend a ton of time designing a programmable cursor-mover, we have to figure out how to make it work in-game. That means, I think, first figuring out why it doesn't work now, and then finding some way around it.

Now, as far as I know, ZeroCool's anti-recoil never worked at all. But I only tested it after 08/24, which is when the last update to GO came out, and when most people started complaining that it didn't work. If it actually worked before, that's an important clue as to where we can start. But I have no way of knowing if it ever actually worked, since some people claim it works now, and it clearly doesn't, so they could have been wrong then as now.

Does anyone know for sure if ZeroCool's anti-recoil actually physically pulled the cursor down while firing prior to the 08/24 update? Did anyone do the unbind mouse1 test, or simply hold the trigger down while holding a pistol or a knife to see if the point of aim began moving down?

If you want help testing, let me know, and I'll pitch in how I can. Just don't throw too much terminology at me, and remember I'm more or less useless at coding.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Okay, let me give you a short desc. Of the script:
    (made in ahk and converted to exe)
    The script physically move the mouse down when you left clicked.
    What I was thinking was: instead of using a key that valve would notice I was thinking we could use "b" or a button not used in game to increase the chances of success.

Example: hold "key" while you press down left mouse.
    Problem: for semi auto weapons this would not work unless you really want to spend your time trying to click "key" and left mouse repeatedly.

Problem 2: All the weapons have different recoil amounts.
    Last edited by kila58; 08-27-2012 at 05:00 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    I don't think that will work, but you could try it. I think the problem is that CS:GO is recognizing the input as coming from an external script, and choosing to ignore it, so it won't matter which key is used to trigger the script.

The game seems to know which inputs are coming from the selected controller device, and which are coming from something external. Is there a way to mask the external script so that the game sees it as a natural mouse input? Or is that impossible without hooking the engine?

I bet it could be done with custom mouse drivers, but I'm guessing that's beyond our collective programming abilities.

I'm going to research custom mouse drivers and utilities, and see if there isn't something that can be done that way. I'll report back in this thread if I find anything.

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

OK, after a quick search on the ahk forums, I found an interesting thread related to BF2 macros:

BF2 MACROS (SUMMARY) - post all working macros here please • AutoHotkey Community

It seems that some people have been having trouble getting keyboard and mouse macros to work in-game since the 1.5 patch for BF2. The same sort of dynamic is described as what we are experiencing: the scripts work on the desktop, and in menus, but not in-game.

We should keep an eye on that thread. If the people there find a way to solve their problem, we may be able to use a similar method to get ahk scripts working for CS:GO as well.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cold
    A proper NoRecoil (pulling mouse down) app can be easily scripted using mouse_event function. I guess it'll be appreciated, so maybe I'll release one wrote in Autohotkey. I already tested it and it works like a charm. Though, it needs more testing to create presets for different types of weapon.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 63OR63 For This Useful Post:

Thermonopoly (08-27-2012)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermonopoly View Post
    I don't think that will work, but you could try it. I think the problem is that CS:GO is recognizing the input as coming from an external script, and choosing to ignore it, so it won't matter which key is used to trigger the script.

The game seems to know which inputs are coming from the selected controller device, and which are coming from something external. Is there a way to mask the external script so that the game sees it as a natural mouse input? Or is that impossible without hooking the engine?

I bet it could be done with custom mouse drivers, but I'm guessing that's beyond our collective programming abilities.

I'm going to research custom mouse drivers and utilities, and see if there isn't something that can be done that way. I'll report back in this thread if I find anything.

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

OK, after a quick search on the ahk forums, I found an interesting thread related to BF2 macros:

BF2 MACROS (SUMMARY) - post all working macros here please • AutoHotkey Community

It seems that some people have been having trouble getting keyboard and mouse macros to work in-game since the 1.5 patch for BF2. The same sort of dynamic is described as what we are experiencing: the scripts work on the desktop, and in menus, but not in-game.

We should keep an eye on that thread. If the people there find a way to solve their problem, we may be able to use a similar method to get ahk scripts working for CS:GO as well.
    Reading closer I saw that you may need to run as admin.
    So let's try that and see what happens.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Quote Originally Posted by 63OR63 View Post
    A proper NoRecoil (pulling mouse down) app can be easily scripted using mouse_event function. I guess it'll be appreciated, so maybe I'll release one wrote in Autohotkey. I already tested it and it works like a charm. Though, it needs more testing to create presets for different types of weapon.
    I don't mind helping with testing and presets myself, if you know how to get autohotkey scripts to work in-game. ZeroCool's ahk script doesn't work at all.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Thermonopoly For This Useful Post:

63OR63 (08-27-2012)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cold
    Ok, I'll PM you then. Install autohotkey
    Hm. Can't PM you someway. May you add me on steam?

steamcommunity.com/id/g3or63126
    Last edited by 63OR63; 08-27-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Done. I'm reading through the documentation now, so that I'll have some idea of what I'm doing. I don't know enough to program my own script, but I shouldn't have any trouble tweaking the values and testing it in-game. Once I know which variables control speed, delay, etc., I'll pick it up pretty quick.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cold
    Release: Universal Recoil Reducer v1.0
    Thanks to Thermonopoly for inspiring and beta-testing