Thanks

Exclamation NAT type: strict Read all of it! It'll help.

NAT type: strict Read all of it! It'll help.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________

Background important!

NAT is the ability for your router to handle internet traffic and send it to the correct computer in your network. It is also a very important security layer between you and the internet. It ensures that people from the outside cannot access your computer without your permission.

However, NAT itself does not have the ability to accept incoming connections, which is something you will need for MW3. For this we have two solutions, UPnP and port forwarding. Port forwarding redirects incoming connections to the computer in the network that needs it. Yes, it's pretty close to NAT, but NAT itself focuses on outgoing connections. The big problem with port forwarding is that it brings the security issues back: your computer is vulnerable again, because you are forwarding the incoming connections that would have been blocked by your router. That's why we have UPnP. UPnP is an extension to port forwarding so that your computer can tell the router when to forward and when to stop forwarding. It ensures that the port forwarding is stopped when the application no longer needs it, allowing other applications to use it from other computers. UPnP also makes it easier for people to connect their applications and games to the web, since the game can setup the port forwarding automatically.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________

Why do I need NAT in BO2? Summary: you don't.

BO2 uses a modern peer-to-peer system (P2P) that replaces the old style dedicated server model. The theory sounds good, instead of having dedicated servers all the way on the other side of the country you can have them in your own village, reducing the time it takes for the information to travel. The best host is picked by a simple algorithm where all players in the match determine the latency between them and all other players. This information is then shared with everyone and that way the best host is picked: the player with the lowest latency.

Now how is NAT important for this? The hosting player has to be able to receive all those incoming connections. You cannot host a match without being able to accept other players, since it would mean that you are on your own. Changing your NAT type from strict to open will allow you to be host. It will not improve your latencies and it will not help with other issues. If you have a very bad internet connection, please don't open your NAT. You will end up worsening the gameplay instead of improving it.

Troubleshooting Did you read the background? Please do. Even if it's only the bold parts.

Your first step to try should always be getting UPnP to work. It's far more secure and definitely makes it easier to play games in the future.

First, make sure that UPnP is turned on on your router. Navigate to the webpage of your router and look for the option. I recommend that you enable UPnP but disable extended security, since that will normally only cause extra latencies.

Continue by downloading a little tool from the internet that tests your UPnP status: <Link Removed>. This tool will diagnose some things on your computer and router related to UPnP. Please complete the following checklist:

• Test 1, 6, 7 and 8 say "PASSED". If you are on Windows XP, ensure that tests 2, 3, 4 and 5 also say "PASSED". If one of the tests failed, click the "Help Me Fix These Problems" button and follow the steps there.

• There is only 1 adapter listed at test 7. If this is not the case, go to your network settings (Windows 7: Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Change adapter settings) and disable all adapters you don't use. This is very important.

• While unlikely, it is possible that you are behind a double router. This can happen if you have a modem with routing features and a router that also routes. You will probably want to disable the router features of either your modem or your router, so that there's only one router left. Please refer to the manual of your modem and/or router for more information.

If after following all these steps your NAT type is still strict, it's safe to assume that something else is going wrong. I'd recommend trying to play the game without the router connected (direct cable between the modem and the computer). If the NAT type is still strict even after you got a direct connection between the modem and the computer, contact your Internet Service Provider.

If having a direct connection did help your NAT type but the UPnP guide did not, then you will have to go back to traditional port forwarding. Go into the manual of your router or go to portforward.com and follow the steps to forward port 3074. Whatever it is people tell you, don't forward anything else than port 3074! They are wrong and it will only expose your computer to more security risks than port forwarding already does.
    Last edited by Geomatrical the 7th; 11-13-2012 at 10:55 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Geomatrical the 7th For This Useful Post:

donkeypups (11-19-2012),KeyTools (11-14-2012),Kons134 (11-16-2012)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    You didn't write this. What about give some credit?

Also, the link you provided edits the registry and contains internet connection.

That's not allowed in this section.

Contributor 01.27.2012 - N/A
    Donator 07-17-2012 - Current
    Editor/Manager 12-16-12 - N/A
    Minion 01-10-2013 - 07.17.13
    Former Staff 09-20-2012 - 01-10-2013 / 07-17-2013 - Current
    Cocksucker 20-04-2013 - N/A

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jorndel For This Useful Post:

Royce (11-13-2012)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorndel View Post
    You didn't write this. What about give some credit?

Also, the link you provided edits the registry and contains internet connection.

That's not allowed in this section.
    Thats allowed in this case, you don't have to be judgmental about everything.
    Last edited by Geomatrical the 7th; 11-13-2012 at 02:46 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Geomatrical the 7th View Post
    Thats allowed in this case, you don't have to be judgmental about everything.
    He is ex-minion for cod. I'm pretty sure he knows what he is talking about.

Also he can be judgemental .

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love
    cool thanks bro for the tip

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Does BO2 utilize the same P2P servers?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MOOcow102 View Post
    Does BO2 utilize the same P2P servers?
    As far as I know, yes.

Thanks
    Hi maby this can help someone? i got my crappy router from my isp with locked down firmware and it cant take portforwarding so i had to set the router in gateway mode and bought me a good router that can handle the trafic in the right way! D-Link-DFL-210 you get a Clavister 4 no money at all!

****************code****************
    EcHo OFF
    TITLE Open BlackOps2 FW Ports
    COLOR 4E
    ECHO.
    ECHO. This will open your fw 4 COD7 Ports Steam Version.
    ECHO. Ctrl + C to exit at any time.
    pause
    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="COD7A" action=allow protocol=TCP dir=in localport=3074
    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="COD7B" action=allow protocol=UDP dir=in localport=3074
    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="COD7C" action=allow protocol=TCP dir=in localport=3478
    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="COD7D" action=allow protocol=UDP dir=in localport=3478
    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="COD7E" action=allow protocol=TCP dir=in localport=4379
    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="COD7F" action=allow protocol=UDP dir=in localport=4379
    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="COD7G" action=allow protocol=TCP dir=in localport=27014-27050
    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="COD7H" action=allow protocol=UDP dir=in localport=27000-27030
    echo.
    echo. All Done Phu! that was hard? ¤ By Spesse ¤
    echo.
    pause

**************end************************

Copy code and paste in to notepad save the new file as e.g " openCod7-port.cmd " run it as administrator :-)
    Last edited by spesse; 06-25-2013 at 04:28 PM.