Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

MPGH News (9/13/13)

38th Edition
    Friday, the 13th

Notifications
    During this week, some of the plugins on MPGH were temporarily disabled for about 3-5 days. Some of the plugins that were disabled were: Thanks, Notifications, and Mentions. Mentions and Notifications were reactivated during the week at sometime, but the Thanks plugin is still disabled for unknown reasons. The Thanks plugin was working for a short amount of time when Dave84311 decided to change our Thanks plugin to a new one that looked similar to our old one which was mentioned in the 37th edition.

User News

- Donate to MPGH today! You can donate via Amazon Gift Card or through PayPal!

- AdventureQuest Worlds now has open wiki applications. If you have a strong interest in AdventureQuest Worlds and you have good knowledge of the game, apply today! : https://www.mpgh.net/forum/219-aq-wor...hat-takes.html

- MPGH News Team will be recruiting this week for the following positions: Technology News Writer, Global News Writer. Be on the lookout for the application thread which will be posted in General.

Postbans

Congratulations to @-Madara_Uchihã- for achieving 6,000 posts!
    Congratulations to @Empire for achieving 16,000 posts!
    Congratulations to @AqworldThunder for achieving 1,337 posts!
    Congratulations to @Royce Da 5'9" for achieving 10,000 posts!

Birthdays

Happy Birthday to @Lightning!

Promotions

Congratulations to @Color on Middleman!
    Congratulations to @Maxedout on Middleman!

Interview - [MPGH]master131

[MPGH]Flengo: Hey master131, how are you doing today?
    [MPGH]master131: I'm doing great ;] Currently busy coding away on stuffs.

[MPGH]Flengo: Better be coding some hacks You've been through a lot on your MPGH journey. What were all of your accomplishments and positions like?
    [MPGH]master131: Well, my first major accomplishment was becoming a minion in the Call of Duty section back in 2011. I had applied a few times without success but I finally got it after some persistence. Eventually, I became the Moderator of the section which meant I had a bigger responsibility to take of. I stayed as Moderator for nearly a full year as many minions came and went which was quite sad to see actually. Then, on one fateful day, I woke up finding out that I had been promoted to Global Moderator which was quite astounding because I didn't ever think I'd get that far when I first decided I wanted to be a minion. A year and a bit later, I decided I wanted to step down a little from my full time position as I felt that I didn't have much motivation left so I stepped down to a "Game Hacking" Team position (and no, it doesn't mean I make VIP hacks or anything). I can't really go much detail into what the position entails but basically I make sure that minions are up to scratch with security stuffs. phew.

[MPGH]Flengo: Always sad to see minions go. Seems like a great ongoing run. I remember that you used to code some hacks. What interested you in doing so and what made you stop?
    [MPGH]master131: Well, I had always had a passion in programming and when I first joined MPGH, it encouraged me to start coding in VB.NET (big thanks to @House & @Blubb1337 for helping me back then) and then Jason eventually convinced me to switch to C#. I try to make my releases unique as possible which is why I don't release things all the time. I'm thinking about coding hacks for the next Call of Duty but I'm still undecided about it.

[MPGH]Flengo: It would be great to see some hacks for the next Call of Duty game. Any hacks on MPGH would be nice. Embrace the "Game Hacking" tag How long did it take you to learn all of the computer and programming related things you know now? Where did you learn from?
    [MPGH]master131: Well, I've only been coding in major languages like VB.NET, C# and C++ since 2010 and before that I only knew Batch. Everything I learnt was mostly from Google although sometimes I did ask questions to MPGH Staff who were coders (unfortunately, most are gone now).

[MPGH]Flengo: What's your favorite thing about computers and programming? What is it that interested you in them and gave you a reason to progress with them?
    [MPGH]master131: I'm a very creative person and so my favorite thing about programming is seeing the ideas in my head "come-to-life". It's quite an accomplishment to have coded something really unique or complex. I often look back at my projects and think back to myself, "did I really code all of that? I don't even remember....". I don't know what it is that motivates me to keep progressing but I'm definitely considering it as a potential career path.

[MPGH]Flengo: I agree with your reasoning. I definitely think this would be an excellent career path for you. What do you enjoy doing in your free time away from the computer?
    [MPGH]master131: During my free time away from the computer, I enjoy meeting up with friends and having the odd conversation or getting some exercise (I ain't no fat bitch, not like @Dave84311 anyway; PS - don't kill me please).

[MPGH]Flengo: Everyone knows @Dave84311 is fat and lazy Before we end this interview, would you like to give any shout outs to anyone?
    [MPGH]master131: Big shout out to all past Call of Duty Minions and retired staff, I miss you guys, come back and visit.

[MPGH]Flengo: Well thanks a lot for your time!
    [MPGH]master131: No problem Flengo.

As we all know, GTA V is coming out soon. This Gaming edition will be all about GTA V.

Grand Theft Auto V is the most expensive video game production in history, beats most big-budget Hollywood films
    -

Based on a report from Scottish newspaper The Scotsman, Rockstar’s upcoming open-world game Grand Theft Auto V was made on a marketing and development budget of £170 million (or $265 million). This makes it the most expensive video game production in history. In comparison with Hollywood films, it is second only to Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End - the current record-holder for the most expensive film production – which had a $300 million budget. In development for the past five years, Take-Two Interactive and Rockstar have put everything into making sure GTA V is the greatest open-world game ever. With over 2.5 million pre-orders already in just the US, analysts are expecting it to be one of the most-sold games of this console generation. GTA IV has so far sold over 25 million copies; how well will GTA V do? GTA V launches worldwide on September 17 on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Have you pre-ordered your copy yet?

Source:The Scotsman

PS3 owners "furious" over GTA V download delay
    -

Gamers who paid £50 to pre-order Grand Theft Auto V via the PlayStation Network have been told that pre-downloads will not begin until Monday.

Rather than walk into a shop on Tuesday, or hope that the post arrives on time, many PlayStation 3 owners elected to pay full price for the game in order to guarantee they’d get it on day one.

They were told they’d be able to start pre-installing the game today, but now Sony has confirmed that the process won’t begin until Monday – which may not give those with slower broadband connections enough time to download the massive 17GB file.

And even those with faster connections are likely to run into the problem of so many other people suddenly putting a burden on the network.

Pre-installing is a common practise for larger PC games, which allow you to download a large section of the game before it’s released. The idea is that the download is useless on its own, but last month hackers were able to derive a full list of the licensed music tracks and details of the game’s plot due to Sony’s lax security.

Sony were forced to apologise and it’s hard not to imagine that the mistake isn’t behind this new delay.

‘I can confirm that GTA V will be available to pre-download on Monday the 16th September,’ said a Sony spokesman on their official forum.

As you can imagine many fans have not taken the news well, with the following a snippet from those on the forum:

‘Thanks for TAKING as for FOOLS!!! You said on the 13th WE WANT IT ON THE 13TH. Most of us preordered from PSN because we could preload it on the 13th’, said member Ceois. ‘I didn’t top up my account with 50pounds just so you can SCAM ME! I want my money BACK!’

‘Same. First time pre-ordering digitally and the last time. What a [DELETED] shambles Sony. No point in asking for the £50 back from my wallet I guess. Thats the part of the deal you will hold up – no refunds,’ added vertigo9219.

source: metro

Screenshots

(put in an album for obvious 56k reasons)

Photo Album - Imgur

Gameplay/Trailers

(there would be more but many have been removed)

Spacemen 'flew blind' from space station as sensors failed

The three crew of the International Space Station (ISS) who returned to Earth this week endured a hair-raising descent after their height sensors failed, a Russian cosmonaut revealed on Friday.
    Pavel Vinogradov said that he and the two other crew of the Soyuz capsule which touched down in Kazakhstan Wednesday had groped their way through the landing after they lost all data about their height from the ground.
    "There were problems. For some reason after the undocking all our parameters disappeared. Essentially, after the undocking, we flew blind," he said at the Star City cosmonaut training centre outside Moscow, quoted by Russian news agencies.
    He said that the only data the crew could receive about their approach to the earth—crucial for knowing when to fire the engines to soften the landing—came from the salvage team on the ground.
    He said the rescue teams were able to radio to the crew that they were 300 metres (1,000 feet) and then 100 metres (330 feet) from the ground in the Soyuz capsule, which lands vertically with the help of a parachute after reentering the atmosphere.
    "I managed to count eight seconds and we touched down very softly," he said, adding that aside from the usual G-forces and jolting "everyone felt normal".

Vinogradov, fellow Russian cosmonaut Alexander Misurkin and NASA astronaut Chris Cassidy touched down on the Kazakh steppe on Wednesday morning, in a landing that at the time seemed hitch-free.
    Russia is currently the only nation capable of transporting humans to the ISS in its Soyuz rocket and capsule system after the withdrawal of the US shuttle.

source: phys

Fukushima "not under control", says TEPCO official

The Japanese government and TEPCO were scrambling to reassure people on Friday that they have a lid on Fukushima after a senior utility executive said the nuclear plant was "not under control".

TOKYO: The Japanese government and TEPCO were scrambling to reassure people on Friday that they have a lid on Fukushima after a senior utility executive said the nuclear plant was "not under control".

The remarks by Kazuhiko Yamashita, who holds the executive-level title of "fellow" at Tokyo Electric Power, seem to flatly contradict assurances Prime Minister Shinzo Abe gave Olympic chiefs a week earlier. In a meeting with members of the opposition Democratic Party of Japan, Yamashita was asked whether he agreed that "the situation is under control" as Abe had declared at the International Olympic Committee meeting in Buenos Aires. He responded by saying, "I think the current situation is that it is not under control," according to major media, including national broadcaster NHK. News of his comment prompted a rush by the government and TEPCO to elaborate on Yamashita's remark, saying he was talking specifically about the plant's waste water problem, and not the facility's situation in general. Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga, Abe's right-hand man, separately said Yamashita was repeatedly pressed by DPJ lawmakers when he made the remark.

The view of TEPCO as a company does not contradict Abe's statement, Suga added. TEPCO has poured thousands of tonnes of water on the Fukushima reactors to tame meltdowns sparked by the March 2011 earthquake and tsunami. The utility says they are now stable but need to be kept cool to prevent them running out of control again. Much of that now-contaminated water is being stored in temporary tanks at the plant, and TEPCO has so far revealed no clear plan for it. The problem has been worsened by leaks in some of those tanks that are believed to have seeped into groundwater, which runs out to sea.The continuing nuclear catastrophe at Fukushima has come under the international spotlight in recent weeks as Tokyo fought off challenges from Madrid and Istanbul for the right to host the 2020 Games.

source: channelnewsasia

Presidency sells plane for $15m to feed poor and grow crops to fight malnutrition in southern African country.

Malawi will use $15m from the sale of the country's presidential jet to feed the poor and grow crops to
    fight malnutrition, an official has said.

"It was a collective government decision that the money realised from the sale of the jet will be used to purchase maize locally and some for legume production," said Nations Msowoya, a spokesman for the Ministry of Finance.

Food experts have said 10 percent of the country's 13 million citizens face food shortages this year. President Joyce Banda decided last year to sell the jet, bought by her predecessor Bingu wa Mutharika for $22m, due to the cost of running it. Former colonial power Britain, Malawi's main bilateral donor, reduced its aid to Malawi by $4.7m after the 14-passenger aircraft was purchased. Mutharika, who died last year from heart attack, often defended the buying of the jet, saying it was cheap to run and a status symbol for the poor southern African nation.

'Looming food crisis'

In July, the United Kingdom said it would provide Malawi with $20m to alleviate the "looming food crisis" in southern Africa.

Lynne Featherstone, the UK's international development minister, said the funds would "save countless lives".

Malawi, which was a net exporter of maize just a few years ago, has now seen stocks depleted to a quarter of its annual average after the worst harvest in seven years. Price hikes and unpredictable weather have left food stocks dangerously low in the region, the government said. Since taking office, Banda has introduced a host of cost-cutting measures and uses commercial airlines to travel outside the country. The presidential aircraft was auctioned off to a Virgin Islands company, Bohnox Enterprise Ltd and the deal was announced in May. The luxury jet cost Malawi about $300,000 a year in maintenance and insurance, a government official revealed.

Source: Al Jazeera and agencies

iPhone5s & iPhone5c

Recently Apple unveiled their newest additions to the iPhone lineup: the iPhone5s and iPhone5c. Hardware-wise the 5c is similar to the iPhone5 considering they both use Apple's A6 processor, and same screen. Differences between the two are that the 5c includes a slightly more larger battery, compatibility with more bands of LTE, and an updated FaceTime HD camera that features larger pixels and a better backside-illumination sensor. Despite sharing the same screen and having the same size and weight the 5c does not use the traditional aluminium enclosure, but has switched out for a plastic unibody design. Molded from a single piece of polycarbonate to give it a "solid and rigid" feeling. This includes the the volume buttons, mute switch, and Sleep/Wake button.

Now on the the 5S, Apple has described the 5S their "most forward thinking" phone. Although the 5S shares the same body with the standard iPhone5 it's hardware is the most drastic change. Most importantly being the new A7 processor which is the first 64-bit processor ever been put in a mobile phone. For the time being this might not make a major difference now, but once apps are written to take advantage of the A7 it will be mind blowing. The A7’s support for the latest OpenGL ES 3.0 standard means better graphics performance, too. Apple claims that the new A7 processor is twice as fast at both processor-intensive and graphics-intensive tasks as its predecessor. The M7—which Apple calls the motion coprocessor—is a brand-new chip inside the iPhone 5s that complements the A7 by handling data from the device’s many sensors, including the accelerometer, gyroscope, and compass. The key to the M7 is that it can log all of that without using the full power of the A7. That means the iPhone5S can run much more smoothly with various apps (Such as fitness tracking apps) running in the background without draining your battery. Both the iPhone5s & iPhone5c will be available September 20th.

MPGH News Team

• Writers

- Thanks to Hannibal for doing this week's Gaming News

- Thanks to Hannibal for doing this week's Global News

• Technology News

- Thanks to Dr. Sheldon Cooper for doing Technology News this week's Technology News

We have discontinued the E-Sports News section due to lack of interest in it, and we doubt anyone would is as on top of it as our initial idea feeder, @C.C.
    If you have any ideas for new sections, please post them here or VM/PM Dave's Sheep aka Psychotic
    Last edited by Flengo; 09-13-2013 at 10:34 PM.

Super User since 02.02.2020
    Global Moderator since 09.23.2017
    Moderator since 09.01.2016
    Minion+ since 07.22.2016

Marketplace Minion since 06.09.2016
    Trove Minion since 06.06.2016
    Middleman since 04.21.2016
    Social Engineering Minion since 02.03.2016
    News FO Freelancer From 11.08.2015 to 07.23.2016
    News FO Head Editor From 08.23.2015 to 11.08.2015
    News FO Head Editor From 07.19.2012 to 08.11.2014
    MPGH News and News FO Founder
    Programming Minion From Unknown to 04.23.2013
    Minecraft Minion From 09.19.2012 to 04.23.2013
    Member since 05.13.2012

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love
    looks nice, you just forgot to mention that I got manager

Im in love with the gaming news can't get it out of my head

also the iphone c looks decent might buy it

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Great job you guys . 10/10 Would definitely read the technology news again sometimes.

Anyways, I see people lost interest on E-Sports... I'd be gladly to help out even if I'm not part of the News Force, though I would still apply for the upcoming applications to become one.

Thanks
    Job well done. Keep up the good work.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Not bad.
    Rep. Power: 126

Minion: 11/28/12-3/15/14

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    I made the news . Great edition as always

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    GTA V is not happening for PC and I am just so sad.

Thanks
    Nice edition.
    Member Level 1 since 4/20/11 - 8/4/14
    Member Level 2 since 8/4/14 - present

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Quote Originally Posted by Brinley View Post
    Great job you guys . 10/10 Would definitely read the technology news again sometimes..

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Good job as always.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    GTA.

Member Since 8/05/2012
    Editor 4/04/13 - 4/21/13
    Middleman 7/14/13 - 11/4/13

Battlefield Minion 6/13/14-3/20/15
    Steam Minion 7/16/14-3/20/15

Minion+ 10/1/14-3/20/15
    M.A.T. Minion 10/19/14-3/20/15
    ROTMG Minion 1/14/15-3/20/15

Donator Since 2/26/15 (Thanks @Cursed!)
    Steam Minion 5/9/15 - 11/5/15
    OSFPS Minion 9/15/15 - 11/5/15

Thanks
    My Mood
    Chatty
    awesome work thank you for updates :P

Thanks
    My Mood
    Hot
    fuck gta v

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Great job

I regard the theatre as the greatest of all art forms, the most immediate way in which a human being can share with another the sense of what it is to be a human being. -Wilde

Donator Since: 14 January 2014
    Editor Since: 10 August 2013
    Manager Since: 27 September 2013
    Middleman Since: 31 January 2014
    BattleOn Minion Since: 13 August 2013
    Dragon Nest Minion Since: 12 September 2013
    Minecraft Minion Since: Don't Remember
    Social Games Minion Since: Don't Remember
    Realm Of The Mad God Minion Since: Don't Remember
    Alliance of Valiant Arms Minion Since: Don't Remember
    Pharaoh #5: 2 January 2014
    Former Staff Since: 5 February 2015