Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine

Exclamation How to run Combat Arms on VMWARE

How to run Combat Arms on VMWARE

Firstly, let me get something straight. I have not provided download links for VMWARE or Any OS, this is just a simple tutorial showing you how to run combat arms (and even more games) on VMWARE.
    Also I don't meet the requirments to post links so

Some bullshit: I don't take any responsibility if any damage occurs to your PC/laptop/tablet whatsoever. I have provided this tutorial for the benefit of the community and by following this tutorial you acknowledge that the thread starter (ME) has already warned you about the consequences prior to the tutorial itself. If so you approve of this then continue on but if you don't for whatever reason, close the thread and never attempt the tutorial. Until you can approve of it. Thank you.

Prerequisites:
    * A Good PC (Meaning above average specifications)
    * A Brain
    * Patience
    * Ability Follow all instructions without skipping
    * Knowledge about VMWARE

Also please note, at the moment this is NOT Noob friendly. Maybe in the future. But as of know you do need to know basics of computing to follow this tutorial. I don't want any comments below in the sections asking questions outside what I am talking about. So be sensible and if you notice you can't follow the first couple of steps then just stop. Maybe another day. However any questions below in the section within the limits of the thread are accepted and will be answered from the best of my ability. Also no PMs. I won't answer.

If you have ticked all the above, then
    Diffficulty Level: [MEDIUM]

Good Luck

Step 1
    Install OS of your choice like you would as per normal (I think it works for all Windows XP and above) by creating a new virtual machine in file menu of VMWARE and following the steps it sets out for you (Use typical setup). I will be installing Windows 7 Ultimate x32 for the purpose of this tutorial. Also this is important - memorise and save the directory to which your VMWARE machine is saved to. This will be used later on.

REQUEST TO ADD SCREENSHOTS... DON'T HAVE PERMISSION!

Step 1.5

Turn off virtual machine after installation if it doesn't automatically. This can be done as if you would do in a normal windows by clicking start button and then Shut down.

Step 2

Make sure you allocate REASONABLE HARDWARE SPECIFICATIONS to your virtual machine. This can POTENTIALLY DAMAGE your computer if you are not careful. I have an epic computer So i allocated pretty big numbers.
    F.Y.I -
    * 60GB Hard drive Size [Default]
    * Split virtual disk into multiple files (Not Recommended to use single file)
    * 8192 MB of memory (8gb) [Maximum size for 32-bit OS] - Be careful check your hardware specs PRIOR, I will say this again and again.
    * 2 Processors and 2 cores per processor [BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL HERE COULD OVERHEAT COMPUTER]
    * Everything else default

Step 3

NOTE: This is where the tutorial gets a bit complicated. Also before going on this step, if you haven't already make sure your newly install virtual machine is off, otherwise complications will arise

After your machine has been set from the steps above. You need to go to the directory that I told you to save in step 1 (Don't worry if you forgot, all you have to do is go to the default directory which is C:\Users\[User]\Documents\Virtual Machines or by Right-Clicking on your virtual machine in VMWARE and clicking Setting --> Options tab and --> By looking at the working directory). After you have gone to the directory you will see many files. The one we're interested is the .vmx extension file. In my case as I didn't rename by virtual machine, it stays default: 'Windows 7.vmx'. Next, Right-click it and click 'open with...' and open with notepad. Once Opened, read carefully now, don't edit any values and scroll all the way to the bottom of the text. Add the following lines without erasing any existing text.

svga.vramSize = 268435456 *COLOUR CODED FOR NEXT STEP*
    monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = "TRUE"
    isolation.tools.getPtrLocation.disable = "TRUE"
    isolation.tools.setPtrLocation.disable = "TRUE"
    isolation.tools.setVersion.disable = "TRUE"
    isolation.tools.getVersion.disable = "TRUE"
    monitor_control.disable_directexec = "TRUE"
    Finally save and close.

Step 3.5 (Optional)

The vRAM size can be changed depending on your computer and I will mention it again be careful as this can stuff up your computer. If you don't know what you're doing then leave as is. So as some of you may know the "268435456" number is the number of bytes allocated to the virtual machine. This can be edited [ONLY IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING]. Now you should know that :
    * 8 bits = 1 byte
    * 1 Kilobyte = 1024 Bytes
    * 1 Megabyte = 1048576 Bytes
    * 1 Gigabyte = 1073741824 Bytes

So now as you may have realised if you're good at maths that, "268435456"
    is 256mb of vRAM. Thus from this knowledge you can change it to how much you want [WHILE BEING CAUTIOUS].

I Left mine at default.

Step 4

Now all the external work is done for the virtual machine. What we have to do now is download Direct X and Microsoft Redistributable C++ [cannot provide links as I don't have permission]. This is extremely important as Combat arms doesn't work without these two essential drivers. After downloading, installing these and restarting the virtual machine, proceed to the next step.

Step 5

We have done the easy part of the hard part . Now what we have to do is open up Registry Editor inside the virtual machine itself and edit a couple of values. So open Registry editor inside the virtual machine [IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW, USE GOOGLE]. Navigate your way towards this directory
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000
    After navigating, HIGHLIGHT, DON'T CLICK THE ARROW ON THE SIDE, and you should see the "DriverDesc" String on the right hand side. Right-Click it and click "modify". Delete the value inside of the box and press OK.

Step 6

Install Combat arms within the Virtual machine by downloading from Nexon official site [RECOMMENDED] OR share folder from your Host OS to the Virtual machine. Google this for more information "Share folders VMWARE".

Step 7

Now you're done, run combat arms and it should work enjoy .

BUT SOME OF YOU JUST REALISED IT DIDN'T WORK. So now what we have to do for the people it didn't work for is read the next passage about errors and fixes.

Step 8 (Errors)

* Error: Themida - Sorry this application cannot run under a Virtual Machine.

This error is caused by not doing Step 2. - If still not working, continue to step 9

* Error: Combat Arms - error: (bunch of numbers). This is an error that occurs when there's an unknown problem.

This error is caused by not doing the registry edit properly and/or not finding all of the proper values. - If still not working, continue to step 9

* Error: Dictionary Error

Re-read step 2. - If still not working continue to step 9

* Error: Cannot be run in virtual machine

continue to step 9

Step 9

INFORMATION:Now some people in the community may have seen these types of tutorials many times in and outside MPGH. They all stop at this step and apparently it should work. Personally it didn't work for me but after doing some of my own tweaking I found a way for it to work.This next step is vague but does work if done properly and don't be afraid about this one as it won't stuff up your host pc, the worse it can do is stuff up your virtual machine.If that happens in the rarest of cases, delete the virtual machine and restart from step 1, annoying but at least it doesn't break your actual computer.

Diffficulty Level: [HARD]

This final step can be annoying but I will assure you 99% that it works. So what you need to do is open up registry editor and go to Edit --> Find. Write DriverDesc and Delete any "DriverDesc" that have the word "VM", "VMWARE" etc. in them. Continue this process via "Find Next" Button and delete ONLY THE VALUES that have any traces of Vmware in them. After doing this restart your virtual machine and run combat arms it should work.IF NOT and you already had a virtual machine prior to this tutorial and you had installed VM Tools. Uninstall them through the control panel inside your virtual machine and try. That's it. It should work. BUT IF IT DOESN'T FOR YOU then suggest possible reasons in the comment section.

Final notes:

Known bugs (ADVANCED):

* VM'ed CA does lag a lot more than if you were to run it on your host operating system.

* You must bear with it if you're going to use this fix.

* Full screen alleviates some of the lag, and I believe Mac users don't have that big of an issue when VM'ing CA.

* Speed-hack may pop up some times depending on how solid your processor is.

* If you have issues with it, force a constant voltage and turn off CNQ or Speedstep in the BIOS.

Lastly, any information on Vmware can be found on their forums. You should google it as I can not post links as of yet.

THAT'S IT ENJOY IF IT WORKED. NO PMs. POST FEEDBACK AND COMMENTS AND WITHIN THE LIMITS OF THE POST. NO NOOB QUESTIONS! MODERATORS EDIT IT IF YOU WANT FOR ERRORS OR GENERAL ADJUSTS. THEY'RE PROBABLE ERRORS WITHIN THE POST SO TELL ME THROUGH THE COMMENTS AND I WILL CHANGE. KEEP ON TESTING AND ENJOY!
    Last edited by SilentHunter_; 03-25-2014 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Typo

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SilentHunter_ For This Useful Post:

gadot99 (12-08-2015),kingtm (11-10-2014),kiss2511 (03-12-2020),majote (04-06-2015),mankool (05-15-2014),Renamon Toast Crunch (04-06-2014),vuchau (07-04-2021),_iSpWeN_ (09-29-2014)

Thanks
    nice man thank you for sharing i was wondering how to do so and u gave me the anwser thanks

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    I fucking love you. Testing now on Ubuntu 12.04 using Windows XP Black edition in VMW.
    There is no right and wrong. There's only fun and boring.
    Click HERE to join the official MPGH TS3 Server

Currently learning: Lua, C++ and BASH scripting.

I made a group, Join Linux Users if your on Linux!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    lol, i done it on crossfire whit a much easier way than that.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by XarutoUsoCrack View Post
    Oh? Mind contributing?
    There is no right and wrong. There's only fun and boring.
    Click HERE to join the official MPGH TS3 Server

Currently learning: Lua, C++ and BASH scripting.

I made a group, Join Linux Users if your on Linux!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by Renamon Toast Crunch View Post
    I fucking love you. Testing now on Ubuntu 12.04 using Windows XP Black edition in VMW.
    Ahahaha, No problem I hoped it worked and could you post feedback please?

Quote Originally Posted by XarutoUsoCrack View Post
    I did acknowlege in the post that other users around MPGH may have posted a similar post which may be easier or may not be. And if you're kind do you mind sharing for the community so they can play it?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SilentHunter_ For This Useful Post:

poolwizard (07-25-2014)