Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine

What language to pick?

Long story short I get to pick between C and Python.
    Can you please help me pick one, I'm looking for a language good for general programming and for hacking.

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love
    Quote Originally Posted by tvojama View Post
    Long story short I get to pick between C and Python.
    Can you please help me pick one, I'm looking for a language good for general programming and for hacking.
    C definitely. Python is easier to learn and offers more standard things compared to C, but C is can be used to make everything imaginable, excluding bootloaders and other hardware specific things. With python you need to get the runtime since it's an interpreted language and not natively compiled, unlike C which is a compiled language, which means it runs natively on the hardware it was compiled for.

If you want to make hacks, C is definitely a better choice since the Windows API is in C and you'll be using that to make hacks for windows games. Also direct memory access and modifying is a fundamental part of C by default, but not really with python.

Python offers more portability since the APIs offered for python are the same on all systems, but with C the APIs may only be designed for a single OS in mind.

C programming will always be in more demand so there are more jobs there, as opposed to python which is pretty niche.

I don't recommend learning just to hack though. You need to be very competent at your language and need a good underlying knowledge of the Windows API and how memory works with windows (assuming you're with windows, but it's the same with all OS since they have different implementations). Hacking in itself is a different paradigm in programming, and is something to be learned in addition to learning how to program.

Which is why you shouldn't just learn to create hacks, because before you can actually make a hack you need to be a very good programmer, and it requires a lot of practice and experience to get there, which is why pretty much everybody who wants to learn to create hacks gives up (or ends up copying and pasting somebody elses work)

For example, I've been programming with C and C++ for 7 years and I don't even know how to make a hack for a game, since it's something completely separate from standard programming and its own thing, not to mention completely system dependent. Though I would say I'm a pretty good programmer lol
    Last edited by Kallisti; 06-05-2015 at 10:58 PM.

未来が見えなくて怖いから
    未来が見えてしまって悲しいから
    目を閉じて優しい思い出に浸ってしまう

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kallisti For This Useful Post:

Daniel Mendes (06-11-2015)

Thanks
    In short term, Python would be the choice. But if you are planning to use this knowledge for awhile learn C. From C you can continue on to learn C# or C++ and advance along the way. And you will soon see that the C languages have much more use than python; ( especially for hacking ). But if you plan on only learning hacking; python would be the thing for you. It is easy to learn and I personally think you can make better Key-Loggers and Booters through Python because of the API's and the plug-ins. So conclusion,

Long-Terms = C Short-Term Hacking = Python

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by A Milli View Post
    -snip-
    Quote Originally Posted by Altarium View Post
    -snip-
    Thanks for the feedback, I will go with C because I'm planing to go on collage and there I will learn C++

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Quote Originally Posted by tvojama View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, I will go with C because I'm planing to go on collage and there I will learn C++
    You don't need to know c before c++

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo_ View Post
    True, but if a person is going to be using both languages I would reckon it's be easier going from C → C++ rather than the other way.

This is mostly a compiler issue I'd say, since C89 seems to be the de facto standard to this day and compiler support for C99 and C11 can be iffy at times (even on desktop. VS 2012 doesn't even fully support C99). Especially on smaller systems and embedded platforms where C89 (or maybe even K&R C) is the only standard supported by the only available compiler for it.

So a C++ programmer going to C89 could be ending up scratching their head because their code won't compile because it has a declaration in the middle of a block, and the compiler error (at least in my experience) is not helpful at all in realizing this.

Though as far as I'm concerned any compliant C89 style C++ code would still compile without issue (even if it's bad style).

Basically what I'm saying is that C isn't a prerequisite to C++, like you said, but if somebody will be using both languages separately I'd suggest learning C first, and then C++ on top of that. Since if somebody who learned C++ first went to C, without relearning a bit they'd feel lost without C++'s conveniences and incompatible style with C89.
    Last edited by Kallisti; 06-06-2015 at 04:45 PM.

未来が見えなくて怖いから
    未来が見えてしまって悲しいから
    目を閉じて優しい思い出に浸ってしまう

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kallisti For This Useful Post:

tvojama (06-06-2015)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Its just how things go, I cannot change it. I you are going for a programmer course that is how it goes, the collage is the only place to learn C++, and that is what is my primary goal. In this school (I don't know what is it, different schooling system) I get to chose between C and Python, and I will choose C

Thanks
    That is true but, C will help you build a basic foundation of knowledge for when you move onto C++. It's like "You must walk before you run."

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Pajamathur View Post
    That is true but, C will help you build a basic foundation of knowledge for when you move onto C++. It's like "You must walk before you run."
    No, you're wrong. It doesn't matter if you start with C or C++. Learning how to use printf, malloc and void pointers won't do you any good in learning how to use cout, new and templates in C++, and same for vice versa.

If you learn C++, you're already learning C for the most part in the process.

未来が見えなくて怖いから
    未来が見えてしまって悲しいから
    目を閉じて優しい思い出に浸ってしまう

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post

No, you're wrong. It doesn't matter if you start with C or C++. Learning how to use printf, malloc and void pointers won't do you any good in learning how to use cout, new and templates in C++, and same for vice versa.

If you learn C++, you're already learning C for the most part in the process.
    You are correct; what I am saying is if you have NO coding experience learning a simpler language could ease you into it. I know for me and my friends it was much easier to start at C then move onto C++ even though you CAN start at C++ I am just giving my opinion that starting in C could be beneficial because it is a simpler form of C++ in a way.

私はC ++のための余分な機能をもCよりも優れていると思い、同意しますか?
    Last edited by Pajamathur; 06-06-2015 at 11:07 PM.

Thanks
    Well, C is always nice to start, but Python has some nice advantages too, especially that it's easy to learn. OP chose C and it's ok, I would have taken this too.

Thanks
    Lol, just go straight to assembly.

Ok I kid, C is a pretty good language. I even heard you can make it multiplatform soon.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Paranoid
    No doubt that I would go to C

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Mendes For This Useful Post:

Blazh (02-10-2016)