Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    Here are my two cents:

So (in the U.S., at least) one can receive scholarships to attend college because of one's participation in sports, but if he/she tried to put video gaming on their application many would just laugh.
    While some define sports as physical activity, I think we need a broader definition. Why would a college give scholarships for physical activity?
    Well for one, there is a lot of money involved in sports so a college may earn money from having a good sports team.
    Two, teamwork. In a game such as League of Legends, teamwork (with random people, no less) is essential.
    Three, decision making. In my opinion, having done sports and video games myself, video games require faster reaction times and faster decision making.
    Four, dedication. Obviously this can be seen in both sports and video games.

In my opinion, while the definition today excludes video games because of limited physical activity, I think that we should expand the definition to include video games for at least legal issues (Athlete's Visa's, Scholarships, etc.)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Thefurball View Post
    Here are my two cents:

So (in the U.S., at least) one can receive scholarships to attend college because of one's participation in sports, but if he/she tried to put video gaming on their application many would just laugh.
    While some define sports as physical activity, I think we need a broader definition. Why would a college give scholarships for physical activity?
    Well for one, there is a lot of money involved in sports so a college may earn money from having a good sports team.
    Two, teamwork. In a game such as League of Legends, teamwork (with random people, no less) is essential.
    Three, decision making. In my opinion, having done sports and video games myself, video games require faster reaction times and faster decision making.

In my opinion, while the definition today excludes video games because of limited physical activity, I think that we should expand the definition to include video games for at least legal issues (Athlete's Visa's, Scholarships, etc.)
    Absolutely, although there would be(aforementioned) limitations on video games that are considered video games. For instance, I don't think we should consider donkey kong a video game.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ferris Bueller For This Useful Post:

Thefurball (03-18-2014)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferris Bueller View Post

Absolutely, although there would be(aforementioned) limitations on video games that are considered video games. For instance, I don't think we should consider donkey kong a video game.
    Good point, there would definitely have to be some method of judging which video games are appropriate to be considered sports or esports, but that is parallel, I think, to how not all physical activities are necessarily sports.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Thefurball View Post

1. That is the only reason people are given scholarships for sports. (money)

2. Teamwork on video games versus sports is an entirely different level. Even paintball has more teamwork requirements than sports.

3. Video games do not require faster reaction nor do they require more coordination. The only sports that are on the same level are ones like golf or curling.

4. Really? Most pro-gamers don't have anywhere near the amount of dedication as most pro sportsman.
    --------------

I think people are honestly misunderstanding how much effort it takes to get into the pro-sportsman arena.

Video games are only at the level of local sports teams to be honest and even then league's only been around for what? 5 years? It's laughable that people think these games that pass and go will ever make it to the sports arena.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Empire For This Useful Post:

Thefurball (03-19-2014)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    Very valid points.

There is a book or something about how pro athletes generally put in 10,000 hours before they become pro. I'm not entirely sure that can be said for pro gamers as well.

Some sports require faster reaction times than video games and some don't, so I think it can't be said that video games shouldn't be sports because of their reaction time requirements.

Perhaps sports are superior in these fields, but I think that is mostly because video games are a lot newer relative to sports. As video games continue to grow both in popularity and in quality I believe they will have the potential to be equal or even better than sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post

2. Teamwork on video games versus sports is an entirely different level. Even paintball has more teamwork requirements than sports.

3. Video games do not require faster reaction nor do they require more coordination. The only sports that are on the same level are ones like golf or curling.

4. Really? Most pro-gamers don't have anywhere near the amount of dedication as most pro sportsman.
    --------------

I think people are honestly misunderstanding how much effort it takes to get into the pro-sportsman arena.

Video games are only at the level of local sports teams to be honest and even then league's only been around for what? 5 years? It's laughable that people think these games that pass and go will ever make it to the sports arena.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Grumpy
    In some parts of the world, videogames are already starting to be considered sports, not sure if officially though. I think that as long as you get enough recognition for something, you can turn it into a sport eventually.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post
    In some parts of the world, videogames are already starting to be considered sports, not sure if officially though. I think that as long as you get enough recognition for something, you can turn it into a sport eventually.
    I'm pretty sure the U.S. had to define it as a sport so that people could get athletes' visas. I could be wrong though, or it could just be a rumor.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Hot

--------------

The amount of effort someone puts into his field of work is irrelevant.

In addition the amount of dedication and effort pro atheltes put into their sport is irrelevant as well. A FIFA world cup final match is a sports event. A 5 year old kids recreational soccer game is a sports event as well. An mlg gamer playing a game is a gamer. A 40 year old nerd sitting in his mom's basement playing world of warcraft is a gamer as well. No one mentioned anything about the pro-sports arena, just the sports arena. Big difference.

Also i think you are highly underestimating the amount of money pro video game events generate. The prize pool for the season 3 world championship in league of legends was 2 million dollars. That's alot of money for a competition involving video games.

Also the fact that a video game is only 5 years old is a quite worthless piece of information. In fact you should be impressed at how popular a 5 year old game gets so popular and successful.

Now the one critical piece of info you mentioned is the fact that video games come and go. However that doesn't stop all video game competitions to fall under one monopoly does it? For example, one year you have a league of legends competition and when it dies out you have a donkey kong competition. Rinse and repeat.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ferris Bueller For This Useful Post:

Thefurball (03-19-2014)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferris Bueller View Post

The amount of effort someone puts into his field of work is irrelevant.

In addition the amount of dedication and effort pro atheltes put into their sport is irrelevant as well. A FIFA world cup final match is a sports event. A 5 year old kids recreational soccer game is a sports event as well. An mlg gamer playing a game is a gamer. A 40 year old nerd sitting in his mom's basement playing world of warcraft is a gamer as well. No one mentioned anything about the pro-sports arena, just the sports arena. Big difference.

Also i think you are highly underestimating the amount of money pro video game events generate. The prize pool for the season 3 world championship in league of legends was 2 million dollars. That's alot of money for a competition involving video games.

Also the fact that a video game is only 5 years old is a quite worthless piece of information. In fact you should be impressed at how popular a 5 year old game gets so popular and successful.

Now the one critical piece of info you mentioned is the fact that video games come and go. However that doesn't stop all video game competitions to fall under one monopoly does it? For example, one year you have a league of legends competition and when it dies out you have a donkey kong competition. Rinse and repeat.
    You just won my argument. Yay.

1. Its a "game" not a sport. Much like how "tag" is a game and not a sport. There are a thousand things that try to become sports but aren't. Video games is one of those. The dedication to becoming a pro-gamer really isn't that much, and they don't really make that much either. Professional gaming itself isn't that great.

2. 2 million dollars is a lot for video games? Even crappy games make that on launch. 2mil for a jackpot is a big thing, but it's not exactly because the game is super successful. League got beat by Crossfire last year, a counterstrike ripoff beat the most popular "MLG" game. Tournaments also require buy-ins, so it's not like League was hosting it out-of-pocket.

3. Not really, it's 5 years old, but in 10 years it will be outdated. This is the one reason why video games have such limited arguments, 99% don't withstand the short test of time. Even among the "competitive" games, the "MLG" stuff, most of them are outdated within 5 years.

4. The reason Video Games aren't recognized as a sport is simply that, they come and go. If they were more solid and could build something, sure. So far the only ones to do that are Nintendo and Counterstrike, and that's a pretty small group of people participating.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Grumpy

1. Its a "game" not a sport. Much like how "tag" is a game and not a sport. There are a thousand things that try to become sports but aren't. Video games is one of those. The dedication to becoming a pro-gamer really isn't that much, and they don't really make that much either. Professional gaming itself isn't that great.

2. 2 million dollars is a lot for video games? Even crappy games make that on launch. 2mil for a jackpot is a big thing, but it's not exactly because the game is super successful. League got beat by Crossfire last year, a counterstrike ripoff beat the most popular "MLG" game. Tournaments also require buy-ins, so it's not like League was hosting it out-of-pocket.

3. Not really, it's 5 years old, but in 10 years it will be outdated. This is the one reason why video games have such limited arguments, 99% don't withstand the short test of time. Even among the "competitive" games, the "MLG" stuff, most of them are outdated within 5 years.

4. The reason Video Games aren't recognized as a sport is simply that, they come and go. If they were more solid and could build something, sure. So far the only ones to do that are Nintendo and Counterstrike, and that's a pretty small group of people participating.
    On that last note, Melee was and probably will always be the most hardcore competitive video game out there.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post

On that last note, Melee was and probably will always be the most hardcore competitive video game out there.
    Hopefullly U makes it better.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Hot

2 million dollars was a reward for winning a game.

Anyways I think if games aren't considered a sport now they will be eventually. They are the future. And I personally believe, as an athlete, if gambling is a sport so is gaming.

Thanks
    Video game a sport? are you serious?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Our mental definition of the meaning of the word "Sport" has deterred over time. Currently i believe we think that anything competitive is a "Sport" so eSports is in fact a sport (look its in the name too).
    Well, I've got to get back to work. When I stop rowing, the slave ship just goes in circles.

Thanks
    I think it should, but it won't be considered a sport for a little while longer.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast