Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted

[18] Freedom and respect

I recently stumbled upon a topic somewhere else which sparked my interest. It has to do with morals and our current day's use for the word freedom.

What do you think? Do we have the right to say she doesn't have self-respect for wearing those clothes, and that everyone has the freedom/right to wear such things, or do you think it's inappropriate?

I'd also like to see a reason to your answer. I will refrain from saying my own opinion so I wouldn't influence yours, but I will say it later on
    I do not use any type of messenger outside of MPGH.
    Inactive but you can reach me through VM/PM.

Donator - 30 August 2013
    Battlefield Minion - 26 October 2013

Blackshot Minion - 14 January 2014/16 September 2014
    Minecraft Minion - 7 February 2014/16 September 2014
    WarRock Minion - 23 February 2014
    League of Legends Minion - 21 March 2014

Minion+ - 15 May 2014
    Other Semi-Popular First Person Shooter Minion - 8 August 2014
    CrossFire Minion - 23 October 2014
    Programming Section Minion - 13 November 2014
    Marketplace Minion - 7 December 2014

Official Middleman - 7 December 2014 - 27 June 2015
    Moderator - 29 December 2014
    Project Blackout Minion - 10 January 2015
    News Force Interviewer - January 2015
    Steam Games Minion - 21 March 2015
    Dragon Nest Minion - 31 March 2015
    Publicist - April 2015 - 21 September 2015
    Global Moderator - 25 August 2015
    Super User - 13 August 2016

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mayion For This Useful Post:

Gaydow (03-08-2018)

I got ants in my butt, and I needs to strut.
    Premium Seller
    Former Staff
    Premium Member
    Trusted
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Nut .

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wyo For This Useful Post:

Fucking Moron (03-08-2018)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    She is entitled to whatever she likes to wear. That is the freedom she has.
    How she respects herself is up to her and not what the public views are.
    If she thinks that what she wore was appropriate, then it wouldn’t matter what other people view her as.

However, since she is a celebrity, she has a huge influence around the world.
    It can be argued that whatever she wore was inappropriate, but that’s how society perceives her.
    Our society believes that wearing _______ is inappropriate and that’s because of current social structures, expectations, and trends.
    Maybe 100 years from now everyone will be wearing that lol.

People have their interesting moments growing up.

Super User since 08-29-2017
    Global Moderator from 10-02-2016 - 08-29-2017
    Premium Seller since 11-16-2016
    Moderator from 09-24-2015 - 01-09-2016
    Alliance of Valiant Arms Minion from 11-12-2015 - 01-09-2016
    Market place Minion from 09-24-2015 - 01-09-2016
    Crossfire Minion from 09-11-2015 - 01-09-2016

Middleman from 07-07-2015 - 01-09-2016
    Market Place Minion from 03-03-2014 - 08-01-2014
    Middleman from 01-30-2014 - 08-01-2014
    Moderator from 03-29-2013 - 04-04-2013
    Market Place Minion from 03-07-2013 - 04-04-2013
    Premium Member since 01-25-2013
    Middleman from 12-04-2012 - 04-04-2013
    Registered since 10-9-2011

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugo Boss For This Useful Post:

[MPGH]Ahl (03-12-2018)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Quote Originally Posted by Eoch View Post
    Nut .
    ahahahahhaahha
    geeked

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love
    Yo wtf she tryna be a dude now?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Boss View Post
    She is entitled to whatever she likes to wear. That is the freedom she has.
    How she respects herself is up to her and not what the public views are.
    If she thinks that what she wore was appropriate, then it wouldn’t matter what other people view her as.

However, since she is a celebrity, she has a huge influence around the world.
    It can be argued that whatever she wore was inappropriate, but that’s how society perceives her.
    Our society believes that wearing _______ is inappropriate and that’s because of current social structures, expectations, and trends.
    Maybe 100 years from now everyone will be wearing that lol.

People have their interesting moments growing up.
    Very true.

What you said suggests for a new question to be asked. Why does the majority of our society address those similar to her in appearance as bad?
    I believe that if we answer the question above then we will come to a conclusion as to why there is a diversity in opinions.

To begin, we will first need to have a good understanding of what self-respect is (I will try and summarize my take on it quickly);
    - Self-respect is a phrase to define our own value to ourselves, based on how others view us. So for example, When somebody is humble and helps others, we tend to say they have 'self-respect', which reflects that they appreciate life. However, when one has an ego, curses and shouts, we tend to say they have no self-respect, implying they are not considerate and unaware of it because they don't respect themselves -> How do you expect someone who doesn't respect themself to respect others? (Point no.1)

The way I view it that there is a pattern if you think about it enough.. which is, self-respect is earned from others, depending on our actions (be it our choice of clothes, words etc), thus, it is something we mostly earn from others and not by declaring it ourself. (And is fully utilized when we acknowledge self-satisfaction, but that's a topic for another day).

It all depends on how we define what is right and what is wrong, which is an instinct in humans to decide what is safe and what could bring failure upon us in order to survive. Over the years our cultures have mostly been against such behavior, because our nature has evolved to part ourselves from being wild animals. (People tend to disagree with this part, while in reality, a large majority of us is aware of morals, but it's just a matter of hiding your agreement to it, have it for benefit, fame, or even social recognition and approval).

Definition for my 'not wanting to be wild animals' -> Longing for further improvement and evolution rather than wearing dildos in public and promoting sexuality for personal gain and having young kids influenced by this behavior and slowly destroying our society's structures and rules, which is what separates us from 'wild animals', like rape, uncontrolled sex, not respecting others because you are 'free' to do/say what you wish, and the list goes on.

The way most people handle this topic is by itself hypocritical; because if I were to bad-mouth what she does, I'd be called a sexist, or against freedom. That by itself would suppress my freedom of speech and my ability to openly talk about my opinion. So basically, she has the right to publicly wear what she wants, and I don't have the right to publicly oppose what she wears, how is that right. See what I mean?

My opinion: What she wore is wrong. Some of those who openly support what she does do it to feel good about themselves, be from the minority (and feel special), and like I said, to be recognized by others as an open person who supports people's rights, when in reality, they are just promoting inappropriate behavior for our children to watch.
    That is why I fear that slowly our community as a whole will fall because we will be constantly confusing ethics/morals with 'freedom'. Too much of anything is bad.
    Too much of 'freedom' will result in a weak society to be born, one where saying the truth is considered (insert your SJW insult here) and accepting the wrong is being open-minded.

Donator - 30 August 2013

Minion+ - 15 May 2014

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mayion For This Useful Post:

[MPGH]Ahl (03-12-2018),Hackinet (03-08-2018),[MPGH]Hugo Boss (03-08-2018)

Thanks
    this is the internet your opinion doesn't count nib

but yeah she hot i'd bang and she dumb so she dumb

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayion View Post

Very true.

What you said suggests for a new question to be asked. Why does the majority of our society address those similar to her in appearance as bad?
    I believe that if we answer the question above then we will come to a conclusion as to why there is a diversity in opinions.

To begin, we will first need to have a good understanding of what self-respect is (I will try and summarize my take on it quickly);
    - Self-respect is a phrase to define our own value to ourselves, based on how others view us. So for example, When somebody is humble and helps others, we tend to say they have 'self-respect', which reflects that they appreciate life. However, when one has an ego, curses and shouts, we tend to say they have no self-respect, implying they are not considerate and unaware of it because they don't respect themselves -> How do you expect someone who doesn't respect themself to respect others? (Point no.1)

The way I view it that there is a pattern if you think about it enough.. which is, self-respect is earned from others, depending on our actions (be it our choice of clothes, words etc), thus, it is something we mostly earn from others and not by declaring it ourself. (And is fully utilized when we acknowledge self-satisfaction, but that's a topic for another day).

It all depends on how we define what is right and what is wrong, which is an instinct in humans to decide what is safe and what could bring failure upon us in order to survive. Over the years our cultures have mostly been against such behavior, because our nature has evolved to part ourselves from being wild animals. (People tend to disagree with this part, while in reality, a large majority of us is aware of morals, but it's just a matter of hiding your agreement to it, have it for benefit, fame, or even social recognition and approval).

Definition for my 'not wanting to be wild animals' -> Longing for further improvement and evolution rather than wearing dildos in public and promoting sexuality for personal gain and having young kids influenced by this behavior and slowly destroying our society's structures and rules, which is what separates us from 'wild animals', like rape, uncontrolled sex, not respecting others because you are 'free' to do/say what you wish, and the list goes on.

The way most people handle this topic is by itself hypocritical; because if I were to bad-mouth what she does, I'd be called a sexist, or against freedom. That by itself would suppress my freedom of speech and my ability to openly talk about my opinion. So basically, she has the right to publicly wear what she wants, and I don't have the right to publicly oppose what she wears, how is that right. See what I mean?

My opinion: What she wore is wrong. Some of those who openly support what she does do it to feel good about themselves, be from the minority (and feel special), and like I said, to be recognized by others as an open person who supports people's rights, when in reality, they are just promoting inappropriate behavior for our children to watch.
    That is why I fear that slowly our community as a whole will fall because we will be constantly confusing ethics/morals with 'freedom'. Too much of anything is bad.
    Too much of 'freedom' will result in a weak society to be born, one where saying the truth is considered (insert your SJW insult here) and accepting the wrong is being open-minded.
    When did you start writing essays like me?

A system is set up in a way to perform certain results.
    We are all affected by the social structures around us.

I would argue "self-respect" is not earned from other peoples' perceptions. Hence why there is the "self" in the term, so it would be how oneself perceives themself. Else it wouldn't have "self" in it and a different word instead. Respect itself is how others perceive you from your actions.
    For example: I respect you because you were a former Global Moderator. That was something earned or achieved, or because of something you have done.
    It wouldn't make sense that if I respect you, you called it "self-respect", because I am not you.

You also have to compare the difference between self-respect and self-esteem. They are often linked together, but two different entities.
    Your ego would relate to your self-esteem, not self-respect. Self-respect relates to your state of mental health.

You can relate your "right" or "wrong" towards the justice system. Keep in mind that the system was build by us, humans.
    We decide what is correct not because of our human instincts, but by what we learn as we grow up. Unfortunately in today's society, a majority of us have little say on how things work, which is why the decisions we make are ever so limited, or heavily influenced.

It's definitely wrong to promote, or act on sexual violence. No one would go against the fact that rape is extremely inappropriate.
    Wearing clothing that is "deemed inappropriate" is a different story.

People have different ideologies which is why you get called "sexist", or "against freedom". Relate that back to the term "self-respect".
    It also depends on where you live, the demographics, and etc. You don't necessarily have to listen to what others say because in this world, everything is a competition. Nor is anyone obligated to listen to your opinions. It is after-all an opinion when you judge someone and not a fact, right?
    While it may seem harsh as to how our society is built, that is the reality until someone decides to change it. You do have the freedom to say what you want, it's just a matter if you are willing to accept the feedback.

My opinion: I wouldn't wear that, nor would I promote such clothing. However, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and actions. Whether or not if her actions were correct, or inappropriate, that would not be up to me to decide. If the public perception deems it inappropriate then that is on them. You have to remember that the public perception is also an opinion and not a fact.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hugo Boss For This Useful Post:

[MPGH]Ahl (03-12-2018),Hackinet (03-08-2018),[MPGH]Mayion (03-08-2018)

I'll live forever and ever with Lee Mijoo
    Thanks
    Interesting , that is called freedom

As for respect , that is up to her

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted

When did you start writing essays like me?

A system is set up in a way to perform certain results.
    We are all affected by the social structures around us.

I would argue "self-respect" is not earned from other peoples' perceptions. Hence why there is the "self" in the term, so it would be how oneself perceives themself. Else it wouldn't have "self" in it and a different word instead. Respect itself is how others perceive you from your actions.
    For example: I respect you because you were a former Global Moderator. That was something earned or achieved, or because of something you have done.
    It wouldn't make sense that if I respect you, you called it "self-respect", because I am not you.

You also have to compare the difference between self-respect and self-esteem. They are often linked together, but two different entities.
    Your ego would relate to your self-esteem, not self-respect. Self-respect relates to your state of mental health.

You can relate your "right" or "wrong" towards the justice system. Keep in mind that the system was build by us, humans.
    We decide what is correct not because of our human instincts, but by what we learn as we grow up. Unfortunately in today's society, a majority of us have little say on how things work, which is why the decisions we make are ever so limited, or heavily influenced.

It's definitely wrong to promote, or act on sexual violence. No one would go against the fact that rape is extremely inappropriate.
    Wearing clothing that is "deemed inappropriate" is a different story.

People have different ideologies which is why you get called "sexist", or "against freedom". Relate that back to the term "self-respect".
    It also depends on where you live, the demographics, and etc. You don't necessarily have to listen to what others say because in this world, everything is a competition. Nor is anyone obligated to listen to your opinions. It is after-all an opinion when you judge someone and not a fact, right?
    While it may seem harsh as to how our society is built, that is the reality until someone decides to change it. You do have the freedom to say what you want, it's just a matter if you are willing to accept the feedback.

My opinion: I wouldn't wear that, nor would I promote such clothing. However, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and actions. Whether or not if her actions were correct, or inappropriate, that would not be up to me to decide. If the public perception deems it inappropriate then that is on them. You have to remember that the public perception is also an opinion and not a fact.
    Life forces me to write those essays and hurt my fingers

I like your explanation for self-respect, in fact, it is more accurate than what I said. However, my definition for self-respect was based on how people image it nowadays and not the true meaning of the word.

So for example: If everyone who knows me- hates me because I treat them badly, can I then say I have self-respect? IMO no, because the way I see it, you should treat others the way you want to be treated, so if you cannot fulfill that then you have failed a basic rule of humanity's code, you don't have respect for yourself, thus no respect for others (and vice-versa). (Basically, realizing what self-respect is will lead to respecting others)

And regarding one's ego, it can indeed relate to self-esteem.. but if I treat others like rubbish, can I really call myself a decent human being? Aka down to earth and being a gentlemen.
    If I truly know my own value and care about myself, I wouldn't be on stages half-naked with a dildo attached to my waist for money, that's just prostitution with extra steps, hiding behind a mask called 'music' when in reality I'm just selling my body for men.

You said "We decide what is correct not because of our human instincts, but by what we learn as we grow up" and that is true, and also means there is a reason that our culture has reformed into that over the centuries, so why try and break the cycle now? Equality and freedom is not the same as being different. (I'd still oppose and say it's related to instincts but that's off-topic for now).

You do have the freedom to say what you want, it's just a matter if you are willing to accept the feedback.
    Which is why I called the majority hypocrites because they can't accept feedback or even in this case, facts, which is suppression of my right to verbally oppose what I find wrong. lol

However, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and actions. Whether or not if her actions were correct, or inappropriate, that would not be up to me to decide.
    Everyone is free to have their opinion and take whatever action they seem fit, as long as it does not cross the line. (Now we are going back to the point in my previous post, which is "constantly confusing ethics/morals with 'freedom'')
    As you said, the justice system was made by us, so there is no definite definition for 'crossing the line', but as a standard, if you cross the line into my/others' lives then I have every right to stand for you, which in this case, a woman standing half-naked on a stage, publicly on TV with a dildo on. I have every right to defend the fact that I don't want my children to be influenced by that. Or am I mistaken?

I don't care if she looks like that in-front of her husband in the bedroom, but if she is going to influence my children (talking from a perspective of a parent) by doing it publicly, then I have every right to oppose and stop her (in a respectful manner ofcourse).

You know why I said it will be the fall of the community? Because this is just the beginning. A few generations people will start blaming their imperfections on inequality and start protesting for their 'rights' instead of improving.
    I wouldn't be surprised if a fat person were to start protesting because they pay for heavier bags in airports since their clothes are bigger in size, and would then bring equality in the equation saying skinny people don't have that problem. See how crazy that example is? At this rate, it can actually happen, because no one is taking an action and afraid to stand up.

Donator - 30 August 2013

Minion+ - 15 May 2014

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    If she does it, because of her freedom than it's okey, but doing it just for the show and money than I would say no. Going against our morals because of money for me is not acceptable

Thanks
    The only thing I'll say about freedom is, if it's hate speech it isn't free speech.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Eh well you should be able to do whatever you want, but I'd say the same for drugs and stuff that's illegal.

Too many laws and rules

I am not a middleman nor do I buy/sell anything. If you are being contacted by someone off-site from MPGH then it's not me! Please report these to me via PM. Don't be stupid, think first.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    LOL MPGH logged me off, so this is my second time writing this. It's way shorter cause I don't want to spend more time writing it

Quote Originally Posted by Mayion View Post

Life forces me to write those essays and hurt my fingers

I like your explanation for self-respect, in fact, it is more accurate than what I said. However, my definition for self-respect was based on how people image it nowadays and not the true meaning of the word.
    I would probably use a different word as opposed to self-respect if the intended meaning was different

So for example: If everyone who knows me- hates me because I treat them badly, can I then say I have self-respect? IMO no, because the way I see it, you should treat others the way you want to be treated, so if you cannot fulfill that then you have failed a basic rule of humanity's code, you don't have respect for yourself, thus no respect for others (and vice-versa). (Basically, realizing what self-respect is will lead to respecting others)
    If someone hates you, that means they have disagreement with what you have said, or done. If they hate you to the point that they can no longer tolerate you, or respect you, then that means you are no longer respected by that individual. If you wanted to be treated with respect, then you should treat others the way you want to be treated is a completely valid point, however, is irrelevant to "self-respect". Self-respect is often associated with mental health. How do I feel about myself? How are my emotions today? Do I know the meaning of life? Do I know the purpose of my life?

Realizing self-respect is different than respecting others.

And regarding one's ego, it can indeed relate to self-esteem.. but if I treat others like rubbish, can I really call myself a decent human being? Aka down to earth and being a gentlemen.
    If I truly know my own value and care about myself, I wouldn't be on stages half-naked with a dildo attached to my waist for money, that's just prostitution with extra steps, hiding behind a mask called 'music' when in reality I'm just selling my body for men.
    Self-esteem and ego are intertwined. How confident are you? How confident are you on your actions? If you treat others like rubbish, of course you wouldn't be called a decent human being. However, that is how society perceives of you. If you have a high ego, or self-esteem, you would probably think that your actions (treating someone like garbage) was entirely valid. If you have a low ego, then I don't really see why you would treat someone poorly. Referring to what you said about your own values and caring about yourself: Miley Cyrus might still think that it was entirely appropriate. You may think otherwise, but that's you, and not her. If it was you who wore her clothing and later on you ask yourself, why did I do that, then that would be a different story. You do have to take into consideration why she wore that in the first place. Was it because of some serious mental health issues she had, or was there a different reason behind it?

I am going to use your current theme here: Wouldn't it be wrong for us to judge someone by what they wear without knowing them personally?

I would not bring prostitution towards this debate. It's rather sensitive and individuals are often discriminated, oppressed, or neglected. Let's not forget that they are humans too. Actually it would be a great example of how societal structures shaped or influenced them. For example, if they are living in poverty, then it is rather difficult to get out of it. They may have a lower education which caused them to live in poverty. In most cases individuals have no choice, some have also been human trafficked, while the small exception are for those who choose to do so. They may also be living in poverty, which lead them to be a prostitute. Is being born to a poor family a choice, or not? Is living in a poor country a choice, or not? And so we have to think about the different systems, or social structures that lead to it, no just assume certain cases.

Music is in the eye of the beholder. You might not like it, but someone might.

You said "We decide what is correct not because of our human instincts, but by what we learn as we grow up" and that is true, and also means there is a reason that our culture has reformed into that over the centuries, so why try and break the cycle now? Equality and freedom is not the same as being different. (I'd still oppose and say it's related to instincts but that's off-topic for now).
    A system is set up in a way to perform certain results, however, can be rather complex. There is no such thing as breaking the cycle because the world is constantly changing. Different demographics demand, or need different resources, or have different perspectives. Equality refers to equal opportunities, or economics is the equal distribution of resources. Freedom on the other hand refers to having the right to do something without having to worry about repercussions as a result of the actions done. You can have freedom, but not necessarily equality. Basically, can you have equal freedom, or equal opportunities?

Realistically speaking, it will be extremely difficult to implement equal rights for all. It's worth the try though.

Which is why I called the majority hypocrites because they can't accept feedback or even in this case, facts, which is suppression of my right to verbally oppose what I find wrong. lol
    If you were arrested, or censored then it is a suppression to your rights. If they don't want to accept your feedback, it's because they are either ignorant, or don't agree with your opinions. It would be hypocritical if they call something inappropriate and then doing that afterwards, not failing to listen to someone's opinions.

Everyone is free to have their opinion and take whatever action they seem fit, as long as it does not cross the line. (Now we are going back to the point in my previous post, which is "constantly confusing ethics/morals with 'freedom'')
    As you said, the justice system was made by us, so there is no definite definition for 'crossing the line', but as a standard, if you cross the line into my/others' lives then I have every right to stand for you, which in this case, a woman standing half-naked on a stage, publicly on TV with a dildo on.
    Morality and ethics are shaped by social structures. What we deem as right maybe deemed as wrong somewhere else around the world. For example, we currently have the United Nations Declaration of Human Rights. Not all countries comply, while some do.

Canadians believes that health & health care should be a right. This lead to Universal Health Care Coverage.
    Many individuals from the United States do not want Universal Health Care Coverage and does not believe access to health care is a right, but in fact a privilege.

In some parts of the world, killing someone from a capital offence is morally right, whereas in most places around the world it is not.

Canada is about to legalize marijuana in June 2018, while some other countries around the world still believe that traditionally it is ethically wrong to smoke weed. Is it morally right, or is it morally wrong to legalize weed? Well, it's going to be normalized, as in legal, so would that not be as a result of societal structures? Based on population demand, a majority deemed it morally/ethically right, while a minority opposed it.

As much as we would love to believe that we have lots of freedom, we don't.
    Your opinion is that she crossed the line, which might be true for you. It might also be true for some people, but others believe it is normal, and nothing wrong with it. Again, nobody said that you didn't have the right to your opinions.

I have every right to defend the fact that I don't want my children to be influenced by that. Or am I mistaken?
    I don't care if she looks like that in-front of her husband in the bedroom, but if she is going to influence my children (talking from a perspective of a parent) by doing it publicly, then I have every right to oppose and stop her (in a respectful manner ofcourse).
    You have the right to defend your children to be influenced by that, however, you cannot entirely stop what they do.
    In this case, I would censor or opt for parental control to prevent my kids from watching _______.
    Nonetheless, these are both of our opinions, not facts. These are our perspectives, not the perspectives of others. We grew up, or were influenced by society in a way to think that such behaviour may be wrong, or deemed as inappropriate.
    However, in this topic of respect, it is optimal to respect each and every individuals decision regardless of what the outcome may be.
    It's better to think about the process as opposed to the outcome.

You know why I said it will be the fall of the community? Because this is just the beginning. A few generations people will start blaming their imperfections on inequality and start protesting for their 'rights' instead of improving.
    I wouldn't be surprised if a fat person were to start protesting because they pay for heavier bags in airports since their clothes are bigger in size, and would then bring equality in the equation saying skinny people don't have that problem. See how crazy that example is? At this rate, it can actually happen, because no one is taking an action and afraid to stand up.

It's not the fall of the community, but potentially the fall of a certain ideology. Neoliberalism vs Neoconservatism vs Communism vs Socialism vs...
    Inequalities are real and it is completely valid to protest for rights. It is a step to improving the system and if no voice is heard, no change can be made.
    The point of democracy is to give everyone equal opportunities to express their own opinions and in this competitive society, everyone wants the best for themselves.

I am not going to talk about different political ideologies, cause that would take too long.

No matter what someone thinks, or what their opinion is, you have to remember that there was something that caused them to believe that.
    I would re-use this whole topic of "respect", but I wouldn't call it "self-respect".

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugo Boss For This Useful Post:

[MPGH]Mayion (03-08-2018)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Doubtful
    LOL MPGH logged me off, so this is my second time writing this. It's way shorter cause I don't want to spend more time writing it

I would probably use a different word as opposed to self-respect if the intended meaning was different

If someone hates you, that means they have disagreement with what you have said, or done. If they hate you to the point that they can no longer tolerate you, or respect you, then that means you are no longer respected by that individual. If you wanted to be treated with respect, then you should treat others the way you want to be treated is a completely valid point, however, is irrelevant to "self-respect". Self-respect is often associated with mental health. How do I feel about myself? How are my emotions today? Do I know the meaning of life? Do I know the purpose of my life?

Realizing self-respect is different than respecting others.

Self-esteem and ego are intertwined. How confident are you? How confident are you on your actions? If you treat others like rubbish, of course you wouldn't be called a decent human being. However, that is how society perceives of you. If you have a high ego, or self-esteem, you would probably think that your actions (treating someone like garbage) was entirely valid. If you have a low ego, then I don't really see why you would treat someone poorly. Referring to what you said about your own values and caring about yourself: Miley Cyrus might still think that it was entirely appropriate. You may think otherwise, but that's you, and not her. If it was you who wore her clothing and later on you ask yourself, why did I do that, then that would be a different story. You do have to take into consideration why she wore that in the first place. Was it because of some serious mental health issues she had, or was there a different reason behind it?

I am going to use your current theme here: Wouldn't it be wrong for us to judge someone by what they wear without knowing them personally?

I would not bring prostitution towards this debate. It's rather sensitive and individuals are often discriminated, oppressed, or neglected. Let's not forget that they are humans too. Actually it would be a great example of how societal structures shaped or influenced them. For example, if they are living in poverty, then it is rather difficult to get out of it. They may have a lower education which caused them to live in poverty. In most cases individuals have no choice, some have also been human trafficked, while the small exception are for those who choose to do so. They may also be living in poverty, which lead them to be a prostitute. Is being born to a poor family a choice, or not? Is living in a poor country a choice, or not? And so we have to think about the different systems, or social structures that lead to it, no just assume certain cases.

Music is in the eye of the beholder. You might not like it, but someone might.

A system is set up in a way to perform certain results, however, can be rather complex. There is no such thing as breaking the cycle because the world is constantly changing. Different demographics demand, or need different resources, or have different perspectives. Equality refers to equal opportunities, or economics is the equal distribution of resources. Freedom on the other hand refers to having the right to do something without having to worry about repercussions as a result of the actions done. You can have freedom, but not necessarily equality. Basically, can you have equal freedom, or equal opportunities?

Realistically speaking, it will be extremely difficult to implement equal rights for all. It's worth the try though.

If you were arrested, or censored then it is a suppression to your rights. If they don't want to accept your feedback, it's because they are either ignorant, or don't agree with your opinions. It would be hypocritical if they call something inappropriate and then doing that afterwards, not failing to listen to someone's opinions.

Morality and ethics are shaped by social structures. What we deem as right maybe deemed as wrong somewhere else around the world. For example, we currently have the United Nations Declaration of Human Rights. Not all countries comply, while some do.

Canadians believes that health & health care should be a right. This lead to Universal Health Care Coverage.
    Many individuals from the United States do not want Universal Health Care Coverage and does not believe access to health care is a right, but in fact a privilege.

In some parts of the world, killing someone from a capital offence is morally right, whereas in most places around the world it is not.

Canada is about to legalize marijuana in June 2018, while some other countries around the world still believe that traditionally it is ethically wrong to smoke weed. Is it morally right, or is it morally wrong to legalize weed? Well, it's going to be normalized, as in legal, so would that not be as a result of societal structures? Based on population demand, a majority deemed it morally/ethically right, while a minority opposed it.

As much as we would love to believe that we have lots of freedom, we don't.
    Your opinion is that she crossed the line, which might be true for you. It might also be true for some people, but others believe it is normal, and nothing wrong with it. Again, nobody said that you didn't have the right to your opinions.

You have the right to defend your children to be influenced by that, however, you cannot entirely stop what they do.
    In this case, I would censor or opt for parental control to prevent my kids from watching _______.
    Nonetheless, these are both of our opinions, not facts. These are our perspectives, not the perspectives of others. We grew up, or were influenced by society in a way to think that such behaviour may be wrong, or deemed as inappropriate.
    However, in this topic of respect, it is optimal to respect each and every individuals decision regardless of what the outcome may be.
    It's better to think about the process as opposed to the outcome.

It's not the fall of the community, but potentially the fall of a certain ideology. Neoliberalism vs Neoconservatism vs Communism vs Socialism vs...
    Inequalities are real and it is completely valid to protest for rights. It is a step to improving the system and if no voice is heard, no change can be made.
    The point of democracy is to give everyone equal opportunities to express their own opinions and in this competitive society, everyone wants the best for themselves.

I am not going to talk about different political ideologies, cause that would take too long.

No matter what someone thinks, or what their opinion is, you have to remember that there was something that caused them to believe that.
    I would re-use this whole topic of "respect", but I wouldn't call it "self-respect".
    Holy shit you really take your time with replies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast