Thanks

[NOT A STAFF DISPUTE] New User Service Question

In staff disputes because @Raple told me to post here and to mention @Hero @arunforce @Liz and @Dave84311 about a new user service I wanted to start up.

Well, I have an IRL business, but its a bit slow atm, so i was hoping to start a user services thread. However I dont know of ANYONE who has started such a service before, and Id imagine given the nature of the business itself it would be hard to get off the ground given the possibility of scamming people, etc. I could provide vouch copies to any willing staff, but my question is, if the service i am proposing even allowed?
    i can provide proof of the commercial equipment I have to do it
    but really it seems kind of hard to imagine this as being a viable online business without a ton of rep beforehand

I can do all of these things / will employ these policies if it helps:
    • Provide vouch copy(s) to staff (within reason with parts in mind, such as replacing retina screens for free might be difficult to giveaway vouch copy)
    • Giveaway free 'vouchers' to non-staff (not including parts if parts are greater than $10, which they generally are not since common repairs include blown caps, replacing resistors or other passive components that you can buy for 10 cents ea.)
    • Show proof of the equipment I have along with timestamp and card with my name on it
    • Do less expensive electronics for much cheaper to build reputation, such as water-damaged USB flash sticks, etc.
    • You don't pay until your device is fixed, with video proof of the device working

I have shipping to and from my work area covered, and can / will provide any tracking numbers if applicable.

I can talk to anyone in the thread or on Skype about further questions, proof, etc. I am more than willing.

Last edited by Schmuel; 01-03-2018 at 06:22 PM.

Thanks
    Best advice would be to offer this service on Amazon...

Are you willing to broke broken headsets/phones/etc? I have some and would be willing to sell.

Quite interesting idea to bring to MPGH and I wouldn't see a reason why you'd steal someone's broken keyboard.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Not sure how viable that would be here to be honest...

THE EYE OF AN ADMINISTRATOR IS UPON YOU. ANY WRONG YOU DO IM GONNA SEE, WHEN YOU'RE ON MPGH, LOOK BEHIND YOU, 'CAUSE THATS WHERE IM GONNA BE

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you lose.” - Dave84311

HAVING VIRTUAL DETOX

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Best advice would be to offer this service on Amazon...
    Amazon is sometimes worse than ebay in siding with the buyer. At least on MPGH there's some form of public 'court' (scammers section) where staff can make educated decisions based in the evidence instead of forcing the seller to refund because the buyer says they received an elephant instead of their device back, even when you can prove you sent the device back. I would not provide this service on Amazon.

Are you willing to broke broken headsets/phones/etc? I have some and would be willing to sell.
    I prefer to do this as a service rather than a refurbishment business. I don't enjoy dealing with sites such as ebay, amazon, etc. for some of the same reasons listed above. I'd do a repair for you as a giveaway if the staff decide this kind of service is allowed, I have you on skype so you can talk to me about it there.

Quite interesting idea to bring to MPGH and I wouldn't see a reason why you'd steal someone's broken keyboard.
    The service (and subsequent prices) are designed for devices such as laptops, phones, tablets, computers (or just motherboards), etc. that have hardware related damages. Such as water damage, damaged traces, non-functional SMC chips, or other issues that would need to be fixed by repairing physical components. Places such as apple would charge you insane amounts because they don't repair devices, they simply replace the entire MLB (main logic board) or motherboard when it could have been repaired for 2 dollars worth of parts. That's also why the prices are expensive, because my main competition is retailers and manufacturers who don't cover your damages under any warranty or free repair coverage.

I'd be happy to repair keyboards, microphones, headsets, USB sticks, any other less expensive (relative to computers) devices as it would give me some rep so that I could be trusted in more expensive devices, and subsequently the prices for those less expensive devices would be much less, since I'm not going to charge 125 dollars to fix someone's 100 dollar microphone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave84311 View Post
    Not sure how viable that would be here to be honest...
    Viability, of course. However I'm mainly trying to get any side business because my IRL repair work is quite slow at the moment. So my main question is not of functionality, rather the rules and if they would prevent me from doing something like this, as well as how it would be handled.
    Last edited by Schmuel; 01-03-2018 at 08:51 PM. Reason: responding to Dave

Thanks
    I'm actually interested i have a broken iphone6+ that needs to be repaired
    It has a broken screen and inside theres component that is broken which causes a gray bar at the top of the screen and makes it so the screen doesn't register the touch.
    If this does become a think i'll probably try it out

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gliatch View Post
    I'm actually interested i have a broken iphone6+ that needs to be repaired
    It has a broken screen and inside theres component that is broken which causes a gray bar at the top of the screen and makes it so the screen doesn't register the touch.
    If this does become a think i'll probably try it out
    That's most likely the digitizer, would probably need a new screen assembly. You should only come to me if Apple won't cover your damage considering screens for iPhone 6 and newer are quite expensive.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmuel View Post
    That's most likely the digitizer, would probably need a new screen assembly. You should only come to me if Apple won't cover your damage considering screens for iPhone 6 and newer are quite expensive.
    If i pay apple to help me it would cost me the equivalent price of buying a new iphone 6 +

Thanks
    If i pay apple to help me it would cost me the equivalent price of buying a new iphone 6 +
    Well if they do allow it, I'd be happy to help. But I don't have alot of rep. That's why im trying to do cheap electronics (not for the prices shown in the 'thread') to gain some rep doing this if it does get approved. Your best bet is to go to a 3rd party repair service. Would probably give you a slightly better price.

Thanks
    Also if this do become a service i think you will probably get just one or two customers

Thanks
    My only objection to this business and why I think it won't take off is because of shipping costs. Not sure on what they can/will be and who would cover them but I think that is one of your main barrier to entry in this type of business will be.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Matthew For This Useful Post:

Schmuel (01-05-2018)

Thanks
    My only objection to this business and why I think it won't take off is because of shipping costs. Not sure on what they can/will be and who would cover them but I think that is one of your main barrier to entry in this type of business will be.
    IF it was approved, it would most likely be restricted to US & Canada. So shipping cost relative to consumer price isn't to bad compared to overseas shipping. Given that I want the service (if approved) to be as consumer friendly as possible, I'd probably cover shipping considering it would provide motivation to fix it, and make money as a result rather than just sending back repairs because their inconvenient.

Also if this do become a service i think you will probably get just one or two customers
    Most likely, as I said in the question part, mainly just trying to fill a few gaps in my IRL repair caused by a slowdown in customers. If it got approved it wouldn't be my goal to make it an independent successful storefront. Just a few customers here and there who might need something repaired so I can get some work.
    Last edited by Schmuel; 01-03-2018 at 09:14 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmuel View Post
    In staff disputes because @Raple told me to post here and to mention @Hero @arunforce @Liz and @Dave84311 about a new user service I wanted to start up.

Well, I have an IRL business, but its a bit slow atm, so i was hoping to start a user services thread. However I dont know of ANYONE who has started such a service before, and Id imagine given the nature of the business itself it would be hard to get off the ground given the possibility of scamming people, etc. I could provide vouch copies to any willing staff, but my question is, if the service i am proposing even allowed?
    i can provide proof of the commercial equipment I have to do it
    but really it seems kind of hard to imagine this as being a viable online business without a ton of rep beforehand

I can do all of these things / will employ these policies if it helps:
    • Provide vouch copy(s) to staff (within reason with parts in mind, such as replacing retina screens for free might be difficult to giveaway vouch copy)
    • Giveaway free 'vouchers' to non-staff (not including parts if parts are greater than $10, which they generally are not since common repairs include blown caps, replacing resistors or other passive components that you can buy for 10 cents ea.)
    • Show proof of the equipment I have along with timestamp and card with my name on it
    • Do less expensive electronics for much cheaper to build reputation, such as water-damaged USB flash sticks, etc.
    • You don't pay until your device is fixed, with video proof of the device working

I have shipping to and from my work area covered, and can / will provide any tracking numbers if applicable.

I can talk to anyone in the thread or on Skype about further questions, proof, etc. I am more than willing.

Great idea i gotta say, best of luck with it man

Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah
    Though why would someone choose you which could take weeks depending on where user lives, other then going to a store which would be done in like a day or more

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyCrazy View Post
    Though why would someone choose you which could take weeks depending on where user lives, other then going to a store which would be done in like a day or more
    Price, quality, and a large majority of stores don't do logic board repair, they do replacement, (hence, price).

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Schmuel For This Useful Post:

Matthew (01-05-2018)