Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty

[Help]8gb vs. 12gb vs. what I need

Okay I think I'm about to place my order for my new laptop this week. With the SandyBridge delay it should arrive sometime in March..., but just in time for my birthday.
    One more question before I place the order this week:

Should i go for the standard 8 gigs or upgrade to 12gigs. I think 16 is overkill so not really thinking about it, but I want to be able quickly be able to do powerful memory searches on games. Currently I can use CE on my laptop with 3gb and it takes up to 10 -15 minutes to run a single scan and 30-40 minutes for successive scans to find the value I'm looking for. By then you understand it's just too late to make any use of it because the game is over. In a fast paced game like an FPS I need to be able to scan fast. Yes I know I can do private rooms, but even then no1 wants to give up their computer to me for hours on in while I run my slow ass scans. So I want to make sure the computer I'm getting can do this relatively fast 3-5 minutes at most for an initial scan, and 10 minutes at most to find the value. any longer and its going to be hard to get work done.

Yes there's other ways to find values, and I've been working on Reverse Engineering to remove protectors and Anti-hack devices, but I still need the raw power to get the essential stuff done even without clever tricks.

Here's my specs so far:
    Quote Originally Posted by XoticPC
    Total: $1,374.00
    Sager NP8130 / Clevo P151HM1 - Out Of Stock ETA March Sager NP8130 / Clevo P151HM1 - Out Of Stock ETA March
    - 15.6” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Matte Type Screen
    - Standard Dead Pixel Policy
    - - 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM, 2.0-2.8GHz, (32nm, 6MB L3 cache)
    - -Stock OEM Thermal Compound
    - nVidia GeForce GTX 460M 1,536MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11
    - No Video Adapter
    - ~ 8,192MB DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 SODIMMS)-
    - Standard Finish
    - ~Combo 8x8x6x4x Dual Layer DVD +/-R/RW 5x DVD-RAM 24x CD-R/RW Drive w/Software
    - ~ 500GB (w/ 4GB SSD Memory) Seagate XT 7200RPM NCQ Hybrid (Serial-ATA II 300 - 32MB Cache)
    - No Additional Hard Drive in ODD Bay - When Selecting, Optical Drive is NOT Included
    - No Back Up Hard Drive
    - NO External USB Optical Drive
    - No Back Up Software
    - No Floppy Drive
    - Internal 7-in-1 Card Reader (MS/MS Pro/MS Duo/MS Pro Duo/SD/Mini-SD/MMC/RS)
    - None Standard--
    - Built-in 802.11 Wireless B/G/N - Stock Wireless Card + Bluetooth
    - No Network Accessory
    - Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
    - No TV Tuner
    - Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
    - No Carrying Case
    - Smart Li-ion Battery (8-Cell)
    - No Car Adapter
    - None Standard*
    - No Dock/Hub/Adapter
    - Integrated Fingerprint Reader
    - No External Keyboard or Mouse
    - No Notebook Cooler
    - No Thanks, Please do not Overclock my system (Overclocking will add 3-6 business days to build time)
    - ~Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Installed (64&32-Bit CD Included) w/ Drivers & Utilities CD's + Microsoft Office Starter 2010 - Included with OS Purchase
    - No Office Software
    - No Software Bundle
    - 3 Year Labor* 1 Year Parts Warranty Lifetime -24/7 DOMESTIC Based- Toll Free Telephone Tech Support (Labor Warranty through Xotic PC)
    Includes FREE Shipping Both Ways for Warranty Repairs
    - No Xotic PC Gear
    So is 8gb and my current config good, or should I upgrade something else, like the processor? I have enough money to upgrade one more thing, but that's it. It's $90 for 12gb and $180 for 16gb, and about $160 to do 1 upgrade to the core i7.
    https://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8130-...wconfigure=yes

I already included a Hybrid HDD, which is the best fit for me I think, until SSD's come down because I need the storage.
    Last edited by why06; 02-15-2011 at 08:18 AM.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Dear god why do you need such a powerful laptop? I guarantee you will never lag on that. My brother's laptop ( not even i7 and the video card is nothing compared to that ) has yet to lag. I think that should be good enough..

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Void For This Useful Post:

why06 (02-15-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Umm depends can you afford more ram ? but 8 is good enough..

i7 Gawd , what ya trying to do run a server on dat thing

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy
    Quote Originally Posted by whit++ View Post
    Umm depends can you afford more ram ? but 8 is good enough..

i7 Gawd , what ya trying to do run a server on dat thing
    half of i7 Cores are not "real" cores...

Ontopic:

instead of getting such big amount of Rams, get 8GB with better speed, like 1600mhz or so, and then OC them(oh.. about OC, nvm it's a laptop.. but now that i saw, not sure if there is many memories with 1333+ for laptops..). By the way, instead of getting an i7 with low frequency, get an i5 with higher frequency.
    Just my opinion.
    Last edited by 'Bruno; 02-15-2011 at 09:15 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    It's not lag I'm worrying about. It's playing the game while running memory scanners, IDA, Olly, and keeping a browser open. If I can do all this without it taking me a whole minute to pop in and out of a game like it does on my current laptop then I'll be good.

I'm pretty stuck on this computer. If I got an i5 I would need to get a different comp since it's not an option. So my main debate is if 8gb is enough to do all that or should I go 12, or should I just wait and upgrade when and if I need it? Or should I get a faster processor like the 3.3Ghz i7. That will be pushing my budget a bit, but if you guys think getting up into 3Ghz is worth it I'll get it.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    2 Gigs + Core 2 duo + 1024 MB VRAM runs crysis Medium-High at a constant 60 fps.

You lag that bad already?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Auxilium For This Useful Post:

why06 (02-15-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy
    Well.. that CPU Standard clock is low... 2.0.. meh, 2.9 with turbo.

Anyway, if you have budget to get for at least 2.8-3.0 would be nice... But in my opinion...

Fewer cores with higher Frequency > Many cores with low Frequency.. Because there isn't many applications that can use all those cores at the same time.. so..

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 'Bruno For This Useful Post:

why06 (02-15-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by why06 View Post
    It's not lag I'm worrying about. It's playing the game while running memory scanners, IDA, Olly, and keeping a browser open. If I can do all this without it taking me a whole minute to pop in and out of a game like it does on my current laptop then I'll be good.
    Well i got 4GB ram and a Dual Core Processor and i can do that perfectly

12. The Following User Says Thank You to whit++ For This Useful Post:

why06 (02-15-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtual Void View Post
    2 Gigs + Core 2 duo + 1024 MB VRAM runs crysis Medium-High at a constant 60 fps.

You lag that bad already?
    Yeh, but I've got Vista and no graphics on current pc.

Okay whit, well if that seems like enough then I'll quit here then. TBH I don't really need an extra .5Ghz though it looks nice. It's all about the cores now and less about speed. $160 for a 17% possible speed increase pushes me really close to my budget limit. of $1500. I can get it, but unless it's going to be a substantial difference I'm not going to worry about it to much.

@Brinuz: Unfortunately one of the requirements for the graphics is the i7. so I've got to get that.

I plan on this lasting me atleast 3-4 years as a primary computer.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by why06 View Post

Yeh, but I've got Vista and no graphics on current pc.

Okay whit, well if that seems like enough then I'll quit here then. TBH I don't really need an extra .5Ghz though it looks nice. It's all about the cores now and less about speed. $160 for a 17% possible speed increase pushes me really close to my budget limit. of $1500. I can get it, but unless it's going to be a substantial difference I'm not going to worry about it to much.

@Brinuz: Unfortunately one of the requirements for the graphics is the i7. so I've got to get that.

I plan on this lasting me atleast 3-4 years as a primary computer.

I got vista too

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    This is my laptops specs (apparently, just did a quick google search) and I don't think it's anything overly 'Super-powered' like the one you seem to be looking at, yet I can run CE fine (most scans < 10 seconds, some under 1 second)

(Just copied and pasted of the site, so some specs might be irrelevant..)
    • * Intel Core 2 Duo Processor P8400 (2.26GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 3MB L2 cache)
      * NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GS with 512MB of GDDR3 discrete video memory
      * 15.6” WXGA Glossy LCD (1366x768)
      * Genuine Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit) SP1
      * 4GB (4096MB) DDR2 Memory (2 x 2048MB modules)
      * 320GB 7200RPM Seagate HD
      * 8x Multi-Format Dual Layer DVDRW with LightScribeTechnology
      * Integrated 1.3 Megapixel Web Cam
      * 6-Cell 11.1v 4800mAh battery, 120w power supply
      * Size: 15.4" x 10.5 x 1.4-1.7"
      * Weight: 7lbs 1oz
      * Warranty: 1 Year

Only problem I have is overheating in summer when the laptop is already hot before it gets turned on.

Never had any problems running graphic intensive games (I ran 5 instances of World Of Warcraft at once without lagging, not that it's overly graphical, haven't tried it with anything like Crysis)

But yeah, I don't think you need to have huge amounts of RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy S. Anderson
    There are only two things to come out of Berkley, Unix and LSD,
    and I don’t think this is a coincidence
    You can win the rat race,
    But you're still nothing but a fucking RAT.

++Latest Projects++
    [Open Source] Injection Library
    Simple PE Cipher
    FilthyHooker - Simple Hooking Class
    CLR Injector - Inject .NET dlls with ease
    Simple Injection - An in-depth look
    MPGH's .NET SDK
    eJect - Simple Injector
    Basic PE Explorer (BETA)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason For This Useful Post:

why06 (02-15-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Thanks Jason. I'm going to stick with the base configuration then with just the Hybrid Drive cuz I'd like to try it out. That'll save me a couple 100 bucks. It seems I could also upgrade to i7-2720 and could then use up to 1600Mhz instead of 1333, but this is good enough for me.

It seems. Also in my current laptop I just looked at my specs and I have a dual core 64 bit chip, but my Vista is 32 bit, so i guess Windows never made full use of it huh? =/
    If I ever get around to it I might install Win7 or something to see if that helps speed up my current lappy.

EDIT: actually it's probably because my lack of graphics. I'm not sure how everything works, but maybe I can scan faster if I had a dedicated GPU so my processors didn't have to do double duty.
    Last edited by why06; 02-15-2011 at 11:57 AM.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Okay I just placed order. It should be arriving sometime in March.
    Quote Originally Posted by XoticPC.com

1 x Sager NP8130 / Clevo P151HM1 - Out Of Stock ETA March () = $1,414.00
    Xotic Gear No Xotic PC Gear
    Warranty 3 Year Labor* 1 Year Parts Warranty Lifetime -24/7 DOMESTIC Based- Toll Free Telephone Tech Support (Labor Warranty through Xotic PC)
    Includes FREE Shipping Both Ways for Warranty Repairs
    Software Bundle (Not Installed) No Software Bundle
    Microsoft Office Software No Office Software
    Operating System ~Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Installed (64&32-Bit CD Included) w/ Drivers & Utilities CD's + Microsoft Office Starter 2010 - Included with OS Purchase
    XOTIC PC Redline Boost™ Extreme Performance No Thanks, Please do not Overclock my system (Overclocking will add 3-6 business days to build time)
    Notebook Cooler No Notebook Cooler
    Mouse / Keyboard Accessories No External Keyboard or Mouse
    Fingerprint Reader Integrated Fingerprint Reader
    Port Replicator / Dock / Adapters No Dock/Hub/Adapter
    Spare AC Adapter None Standard*
    Car Adapter No Car Adapter
    Battery Smart Li-ion Battery (8-Cell)
    Case No Carrying Case
    Sound Card Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
    TV Tuner No TV Tuner
    Camera Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
    Wireless Network Accessories No Network Accessory
    Wireless Network Built-in 802.11 Wireless B/G/N - Stock Wireless Card + Bluetooth
    Bluetooth None Standard--
    Memory Card Reader Internal 7-in-1 Card Reader (MS/MS Pro/MS Duo/MS Pro Duo/SD/Mini-SD/MMC/RS)
    Floppy Drive No Floppy Drive
    Back Up Software No Back Up Software
    External USB Optical Drive NO External USB Optical Drive
    External Hard Drive (Back Up) No Back Up Hard Drive
    Additional Hard Drive in Optical Drive Bay No Additional Hard Drive in ODD Bay - When Selecting, Optical Drive is NOT Included
    Primary Hard Drive ~ 500GB (w/ 4GB SSD Memory) Seagate XT 7200RPM NCQ Hybrid (Serial-ATA II 300 - 32MB Cache)
    Optical Drive ~Combo 8x8x6x4x Dual Layer DVD +/-R/RW 5x DVD-RAM 24x CD-R/RW Drive w/Software
    Exterior Finish Standard Finish
    Ram ~ 8,192MB DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 SODIMMS)-
    External Display Video Adapters No Video Adapter
    Graphics Video Card nVidia GeForce GTX 460M 1,536MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11

Thermal Compound - IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
    Processor - 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM, 2.0-2.8GHz, (32nm, 6MB L3 cache)
    Dead Pixel Warranty Standard Dead Pixel Policy
    Display 15.6” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Matte Type Screen
    Not bad if I do say so myself. Until then I have to study to put this thing to use. =)
    Thanks to everyone for their help the last few weeks.
    Last edited by why06; 02-15-2011 at 03:01 PM.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to why06 For This Useful Post:

Hell_Demon (02-16-2011),Jason (02-15-2011)

Thanks
    OH shit, you dont need more than 6gb for gaming, 12 gb is for hardcore multitastking (more than 30 apps 16 is for 40-50 apps)

-----------------------------------------------

My site: here
    My Blog: here
    My member's area: here
    Minecraft Sever Forum: here

Minecraft Servers:

Public:

Private: