Quote Originally Posted by Martin Johnson View Post

A threat to everyday life?

Care to elaborate?
Oh sorry, missed that.

Well first off I have to say, in theory religion could be fine. A bit ludicrous like everyone believing in Santa, but it would be possible. If everyone kept their religion personal and it did not influence the government, media, and in the case of less developed nations: military. Then yes, religion could work.
----------------

Now Aborted has the wrong idea. Religious extremist pose a "threat", but not universal one, not one to everyday life.

Religion has an odd 2-3 things that bother me.(i'm making a mega thread, i'll post it oneday..maybe).

1. First, there is authority. For some reason the religious community just doesn't question anything, ever. It's like people have gotten so used to being in class that anything an authority says they just go along with it. Islam of course is the most recent religion to have this shown on a meaningful level, but the church has done it's fair share througout history.
-Take this for example. Every "service" is basically a guy telling people a story about how God is wonderful and how awesome he is. Yet, there is no discussion. Which leads to stagnation. It leads to one person just continually brainwashing an audience to just accept shit.
-Which is why you'll find that a lot of people don't have proof for anything in the Islam section, even if it's just basic quran quotes they can't tell you.

2. Second: Now of course, if a more experienced person needs to explain a more "cryptic" passage, I get that. But what happens is interpretation. Which Christian history alone will tell you the ridiculous shit that went on there, but more to the modern era it's the "subtle" changes. Fire and Brimstone have been replaced by peace, yet the passage remains the same. Not only will people always interpret a passage to suit there benifits(whether it be converts or to hate on people), it becomes so silly that interpretations are used for personal gain all the time.

3. Third: Implementation. Again, in THEORY religion is a fine practice. But more often than not it is aggressive, judgemental, and does nothing but fuck up society.

I hate to say this, but religion doesn't improve society as a whole. It has often been another issue people have struggled over, rather than bond. The charity work from religious organizations is atrocious to say the least, the separation even among the same community has led to much strife, and lets not even get into the ridiculous amount of problems religion has had with government(even today).