Thanks
    My Mood
    Confused

Increase Virtual Memory

So this a tutorial on how to increase windows performance by tweaking your already set virtual memory. Im pretty shure this works with all OS. Win 7 Vista XP (Good Os for MW2)

First off! If u are unaware of the risks then just dont do it. This tutorial is completely safe. Jus make shure u know how to do yer math or get a CALCULATOR!

Ok. First We want to search for the shortcut, 'My Computer or Computer' w/e OS u have its differently named.

After u have found your shortcut, right click 'Computer' and hit properties. After u click propteries, ull get a window showing info about yer computers hardware. (or thats whut mine shows up as)

Now going on to the window that popped up.

Every OS shud have an 'Advanced' tab in the window, so click on that tab.

A new window shud pop up called System Properties. Find and click on the 'advanced' tab. This is how far u shud b.

Sry for the inconvenience. I have win 7 >.< for some Vista/XP users.

Once u have found the 'advanced' tab, there shud b 3 boxes with the setting button on all of them. The 1 we need to increase virtual memory is the 'Performance' labeled box. Hit the settings button.

Again, another window pops up called the 'Performance Options' Again we need to locate, and click on the 'advanced' tab and there shud b 2 boxes there.

Find the 'Virtual memory' box and click on Change...

Again, a window pops up, but this is the end of our search ;D

B4 this window came up, there was a number of MB already set. Whut we are going to do is Multiply that number of MB or yer current Virtual memory size times 1.5. For example, i went to my friends house yesterday and did this for him.

His virtual memory size was 512. U take that number, 512 multiply it by 1.5, and u get yer total paging size. Also, set the "Maximum and Min size (MB)" to the same size , this will prevent it from growing on your hard drive. After u have your number, u put that into the custom size section. After yer done, click ok ok ok and exit out the program and restart yer comp.

AND YOUR DONE!

Please dont forget to Thank/Rep me if this helped u out. I will try to edit my post of i didnt make things clear for u. If u get stumped on a part, feel free to pm of yer issue.

THANKS FOR READING MY POST

PLAY STARCRAFT II!? ADD ME! PINOYPUNCHINGBAG@YAHOO.COM OR MY FRIEND CODE 636 STOSHY!

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stoshy For This Useful Post:

648DFSsdQ#$4 (08-05-2010),lrs (08-05-2010),mabistarz (08-08-2010),rikinori (08-08-2010),spartanRS (07-12-2012),xSHk. (08-25-2010)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    lol
    didn't understand my own computer
    i had 2047MB virtual memory used, while 3070 was recommended
    (2047*1,5=3070,5)
    Thank

Thanks
    what does virtual memory do and what does it do for games if u have more of it?
    My Favorite Conversation Word For Word
    "Hey Geek Your So Retarded And Uncool!"
    "You May Think So Now But When I'm Making A Million Dollars A Year Doing This We'll See Who Actually Is Retarded"

GO GEEKS!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Confused
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerguy View Post
    what does virtual memory do and what does it do for games if u have more of it?
    Windows give u a set number of used RAM when idle. This process/tut gives u more of whut u can use of your existent max RAM usage. Its not max. Jus x1.5 more of whut the original set RAM usage

PLAY STARCRAFT II!? ADD ME! PINOYPUNCHINGBAG@YAHOO.COM OR MY FRIEND CODE 636 STOSHY!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by stoshy View Post
    Windows give u a set number of used RAM when idle. This process/tut gives u more of whut u can use of your existent max RAM usage. Its not max. Jus x1.5 more of whut the original set RAM usage
    I think you're mixing things up ... RAM size and usage is not related to virtual memory in any way other than if you run out of either the other might start filling up. Unless you get warnings about running out of virtual memory you shouldn't really have problems. And usually transferring stuff from your RAM to your disk slows down everything

Edit: I'm pretty sure that once I get my SR2 I'll be running everything on RAM to speed things up (following your guide would slow them down). So I would recommend you explain how this affects performance and in which cases it should be changed to see improvement.
    Last edited by Alen; 08-05-2010 at 06:28 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Confused
    Quote Originally Posted by m3 View Post
    I think you're mixing things up ... RAM size and usage is not related to virtual memory in any way other than if you run out of either the other might start filling up. Unless you get warnings about running out of virtual memory you shouldn't really have problems. And usually transferring stuff from your RAM to your disk slows down everything

Edit: I'm pretty sure that once I get my SR2 I'll be running everything on RAM to speed things up (following your guide would slow them down). So I would recommend you explain how this affects performance and in which cases it should be changed to see improvement.
    I hope u make a tut of this then i dont wana go looking cuz i search the WHOLE day and find somethin helpful.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Thanks Stoshy!
    Windows XP and Vista is DEAD. Windows 7 is the future.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Increasing virtual memory actually slows down your computer I believe. It uses your harddrive for ram and writes constantly to pagefile.sys. Not a really good idea unless you get a warning from Windows telling you to.
    Donate:
    BTC: 1GEny3y5tsYfw8E8A45upK6PKVAEcUDNv9

Handy Tools/Hacks:
    Extreme Injector v3.7.3
    A powerful and advanced injector in a simple GUI.
    Can scramble DLLs on injection making them harder to detect and even make detected hacks work again!

Minion Since: 13th January 2011
    Moderator Since: 6th May 2011
    Global Moderator Since: 29th April 2012
    Super User/Unknown Since: 23rd July 2013
    'Game Hacking' Team Since: 30th July 2013

--My Art--
    [Roxas - Pixel Art, WIP]
    [Natsu - Drawn]
    [Natsu - Coloured]

All drawings are coloured using Photoshop.

--Gifts--
    [Kyle]

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Its better to make 2 paritations of your hard drive.

1. Windows files and program files
    2. pagefile.sys

Because if pagefile.sys is the only file in the second paritation then windows can find the file faster and write data on it.

Anyway you can increase virtual memory more by 1.5 if you have low RAM & good HDD space.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bored
    Interesting...
    [center]

Back in '10

Got a question?PM/VM me!
    I read them all.
    Also contact me via MSN.
    vlad@mpgh.net

Minion since:07-04-2010
    Mod since:08-31-2010
    Till : 05.07.2011

12. The Following User Says Thank You to B4M For This Useful Post:

spartanRS (07-12-2012)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by master131 View Post
    Increasing virtual memory actually slows down your computer I believe. It uses your harddrive for ram and writes constantly to pagefile.sys. Not a really good idea unless you get a warning from Windows telling you to.
    This is what I said although in some rare cases it helps (in cases where RAM is not available the system would start moving less important stuff to the disk or more important to the ram - but yes, you would get a warning when you would start losing disk space I think).

Quote Originally Posted by Shucker View Post
    Its better to make 2 paritations of your hard drive.

1. Windows files and program files
    2. pagefile.sys

Because if pagefile.sys is the only file in the second paritation then windows can find the file faster and write data on it.

Anyway you can increase virtual memory more by 1.5 if you have low RAM & good HDD space.
    No, making another partition does not speed up anything because it is still the same physical disk. You probably mean moving it to another disk and not parition, right? In that case yes, some improvements would be seen (in my case: currently in use raid system can hit around 150MB/s write while when not in use I can easily get 250MB/s peaks. So if I used just another partition I would still get 150MB/s, because it's the same array / disk).

Quote Originally Posted by stoshy View Post
    I hope u make a tut of this then i dont wana go looking cuz i search the WHOLE day and find somethin helpful.
    You did a good job showing how to change it, just add a part where you explain how it helps or doesn't help.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Doubtful
    By reading all of this I got confused will forget it
    <--- iShadowLTu as you can see in my Avatar picture is my In-Game name for most online games.